goodbye mayfield

id just like to say goodbye to mayfield bowl, when it will close at the end of this month. it has served newcastle well for god only knows how long.

but in just 4 months we will be able to welcome our new and improved mayfield, but still we must say goodbye to the centre that has served us well for so long

GOODBYE MAYFIELD

Woah! You guys freaked me out! OK, Mayfield is getting an overhaul? I hope something's been done to the air-con since I bowled there in 1990! Jeez, it was hot!

But not so bad as the NSW Presidents Shield Team roll offs some time in the 80's when the air-con hadn't been turned on since Winter. (No need with the high ceilings.) We were all hot, so the ever helpful Noel Macnamara ordered it switched on. Trouble was, nobody checked the thermostat, which was waaayyy... into the red from the last time it was on. I though we were all going to die... ;-) People sticking on the approaches, as the sweat from brows raised the grain of the timber. Very tricky!

there are going to be what they are calling "mini leagues" bowled at newcastle superstrike at warners bay, around 25 mins away. the overhaul is expected to take 4 months if it all is kept on shedule and re opens on time.

the air conditioning has definately inproved since then. now the main problem is the stairs. none of the bowlers like lugging our gear up all those stairs.

Rumour has it that they Are'nt even putting Underlanes in, what a shame, it's not that difficult to do.

willey.

I first bowled at mayfield over 20 years ago and can rembember it being there at least 10 years befor that.

I was talking to one of the guys there a couple of weeks ago and he didn't say anything about a elevator then but what a great idea. The stairs are a pain in the butt.

Good luck to all bowling a Warners Bay.

You should have come north instead!

Looking foward to coming down for a game when they finish.:D

i have been assured that underlanes are been put in. aparently we can also expect some surprises at the new centre so everyone is looking forward to the reopening

Who owns the place now, last I heard it was Terry Maher ... it was good centre until AMF took it over and boy did it change then. Yes Noel was a good man, Peter and Mal must rate a mention.

The GRAND RE-OPENING of Mayfield happens on Monday the 9th of October.

The place looks excellent, but it still has the Overlane Returns, what a shame.

willey

Bowler X, yes I seen it, the doors were open and I walked in. New Synthetic lanes with the latest Synthetic Approaches, dull looking so they should slide without tricks, not like Warners Bay which I won't bowl in.

willey

word is these lanes are kegel edges (well its not word ive had this confirmed for ages lol)

for all those who want to know i will be over there tomorow and i will take pictures for all to see the new mayfield

i have just returned from mayfield and i have pictures these will be up by the end of tonight i hope. the ball returns are the same ones but with 'modifications'

i am going back so will have pictures of it not during cosmic bowling

Back
Top Bottom