GLOSSARY

D

domesticengineer

Hi, I'm really very new at posting questions and such like on any kind of group email, so please bear with me. I'm domesticengineer and I am in the process of creating, compiling and editing a world-wide glossary of tenpin bowling. In the process of downloading the TBA rules I ran into two entries that I need a further definition of: Sledging, and Riding the ball. These are not common terms in the US and I would like to know their meaning so that I can enter them into the glossary. In addition, if any of you can suggest words or phrases used in your bowling life, I would really appreciate it. As an example, where I bowl, in Winchester, VA, USA, we use a term "threading the needle" when we describe trying to pick up a fit-split such as the 4-5 split. Or, again for example, when a bowler has thrown a very good ball but left the ten pin, we might say, "Hit nine, get nine!" What phrases might you have that you would like to see in print? Thanks for any help you might give me. Walt McIntosh

Riding the ball: If you watch the PBA tour you might see Pete Weber run out a strike, you might see Norm Duke get down on one knee encouraging the ball to strike. That is akin to riding the ball here.

Sledging: Banter (sometimes friendly sometimes not) between friends & opponents in order to either 1. Have Fun with them, 2. Make fun of them, or 3. Put them off a little, break their concentration. Very much along the lines of gamesmanship. Sort of like when a catcher in baseball is chatting to the batter and apssing comments about things he is/is not doing.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Dale and Ash. I suspected that riding the ball might be as you say but I didn't have the foggiest about sledging. How about other phrases you might use? You have any that are particularly Australian? And I'm amazed and impressed with the speed of your responses. Walt

We used to have a saying in our league when, if you kept hitting the head pin straight on, you were said to be 'teasing the dog'. If you left a split ... you got bitten.... the motto being .. don't tease the dog.

Throwing a gutter ball in the US is throwing it in the channel, here you've dropped it in the moat.

Sledging can also be termed hanging sh*t on someone

Back
Top Bottom