Events clashing again

Jase

Admin
Staff member
It's a shame that the Ivy McFarlane and the Brisbane Area Championships are running in conjunction with South Qld's only double ranked National tournament for the year. It also clashes with the Arafura in N.T the following weekend. I know i would have loved to have bowled in the Brisbane Area but unfortunately it now cannot happen. I am sure there are others in the same position as me.

I know for a fact if it wasn’t for the K&K i think numbers would have been alot higher for the Ivy McFarlane and the Brisbane Area Championships. Surely at the start of the year those who know they are running tournaments, championships and state team roll off's etc, can all sit down in a room, or jump on the phone to organize a meeting or a time to get together to run these events so they don’t clash.

The tournament calendar has been set up on this site and up to date for quiet some time now, yet no one even after being told that some events clashed have bothered to change dates to help the situation. In a day and age where tournament numbers and representative numbers are at a low level, surely tournament directors mustn’t think they can just shrug there shoulders and say well we hold it this time every year so tough.

Maybe its time to change your train of thought!!!

What are your thoughts? And what can we do to help this situation from happening next year???????

This isn’t a shot at any of the events mention at all, they have just been used as an example.!!!

Also would it be possible to include the TBA Brisbane Area Championships and also the TQI Brisbane Area Championships on the calendar , as this year i have missed the TQI championships due to lack of publicity. Thanks

Gutter rat said:
Also would it be possible to include the TBA Brisbane Area Championships and also the TQI Brisbane Area Championships on the calendar , as this year i have missed the TQI championships due to lack of publicity. Thanks

Paul,

Anyone can add an event to the calendar at any stage through out the year.

Just a thought, and I am not having a go at anyone either, but do you think it is a possibility at times that the different area championships are purposely left clashing with bigger events so that "non-travelling, non-tournament" bowlers get the chance to win without their more highly fancied peers being in the competition???:confused:

Broni

bm2 said:
Just a thought, and I am not having a go at anyone either, but do you think it is a possibility at times that the different area championships are purposely left clashing with bigger events so that "non-travelling, non-tournament" bowlers get the chance to win without their more highly fancied peers being in the competition???:confused:
Broni

I would hope not Broni, but anything these days is possible

Is there somebody who is a "national co-ordinator of tournaments"? It is very hard when forward planning for a tournament to pick a date that does not eventually clash with another event. For instance, I am trying to co-ordinate an event next year for seniors to take place in another country, I can only say to the organiser of the event "please avoid October as that's when we have our nationals". They have their national events at Easter and at Queens Birthday weekend, between April and July a lot of the states here have their rep team roll offs, so it is really hard to pick a date which will ensure a good entry for all. I am sure nobody deliberately sets up a clash, it would not be in their best interests which surely is to get a good entry.
Several years ago there used to be a ladies tournament at Mt Gravatt, I think it was called the Sunshine Classic or something like that, it was always held early in the year about the same date, the first year I entered there was a big entry, and the next year the date got changed and there was a very poor response apparently because "everybody" was used to it being held on the same date.
There is a bit of a "chicken and egg" situation here, what has to be considered first, should the most suitable date for the venue be the first consideration, or should the sanction for the tournament be the first consideration when the person in the TBA office could perhaps monitor the calendar to prevent clashes. Maybe there should be guidelines set in place for tournament organisers, ie - step 1 contact the TBA office to check if chosen date is free, and tentatively register your tournament with that person; step 2 book the venue, step 3 complete the sanction application.
Just a suggestion - constructive I hope.

With the K N K tournament, the date is set 9 months in advance. This year the date did not change on the calender. It was the VENUE. We where waiting for confirmation from AMF if we where going to Kedron Or Redcliffe. The Youth tournament, Melbourne Seniors and Championships both brisbane and TQI was not on calender when K N K was down. Dad (Graham Spicer) and My Mum (Cheryl Spicer) checked all dates. Thats why it's sometimes in April or May. I think the Problem is NOBODY looks at the CALENDER.
I personally agree with you Broni.

KIM SUNA

I managed a bowling centre [ Totem Bowl, Balgowlah] in the 1960s. Over 40 years later [1994] I bought the Centre in Ballina. In the meantime, among other things, I was N.S.W. manager of CAMS [Confederation of Aust. Motor Sport]. At Ballina , we were setting the date for the 'North Coast Challenge', then a ranked event, so I got in touch with the ATBC to see about being ALLOCATED a date, to find , to my surprise that I could run it whenever I liked.

Being accustomed to a sport that was actually organised, I found that hard to believe, but there it was then, and here it is now, despite having changed from the ATBC to the TBA. The CAMS National Council, which was the National Head Body for motor sport, held a 'calender' meeting each year, at which it received applications from organisers of race meetings, rallies, hill-climbs, etc, and other major events, . It then, taking into account the status of the events, their traditional dates, if any. e.g. Bathurst, it ALLOCATED events, so that the types of difficulties outlined in this thread were avoided. It was 1994 when I spoke to the ATBC about this, and further, put in writing to them the suggestion that they do this, suggested ways of starting it with Major Events, and offered my help to do so. Nothing then, and 12 years later, we're in the same position. No wonder this sport does'nt rank in the public perception, as anything other than "fun.'

I can't say what happens now, but I recall in about 1993 When I was President of the ATBA (Australian Tournament Bowlers Assoc) SA Division, there was a meeting held during the 93 Nationals at Woodville. The meeting was held between all interested tournament parties (only about 5 turned up as I recall) and the calendar was set for the following year. There were very few clashes at that time and probably more tournaments than now. Apparently this needs to occur again, and with the advances in electronic conferencing etc, this surely shouldn't be too hard to achieve.

Of concern in the current climate is the clashes between ranked tournaments, which, I was led to believe, was not allowed under TBA Rules. I was under the impression that where tournaments clashed, the tournament that created the clash would not be granted ranking points.

Is this true, or have I got the wrong end of a misinterpretation of a rumour of an idea of a recommendation of a brainstorm of a ?.... (well you get the picture)

May be all the State trials and Championships should be allocated a couple of weekends Australia wide, and thereby on those weeknds every year, every State has the opportunity to run their trials and or Championships knowing that nothing else in Australia will clash with their State event except another State event.Bowlers would be able to plan their schedule in advance and not have to worry about clashing with a Ranked or Major event. In simple terms it would be much easier if certain weekends were set aside for State team trials, State Championshipsright thru-out Australia.

I'm with Joe, I think that is a great idea, as with Nationals, a few weekends (traditionally in June) should be set aside (Nationwide) for state champs and state team roll offs every year, making it impossible to have ranked events clash with state team roll off and championships, as these are an important part of bowling to many of us, dispite the fact that there isn't prizemoney or ranking points involved, but to the majority the chance of representing your state/country means that much more than prizemoney...

I also like the idea of having a calendar committee, or co-ordinator to help with sheduling(sp?) events to minimize clashes, wherever possible, it's not like we have over 52 events per year, so it should be easily possible....

Back
Top Bottom