Queensland bowling, right or wrong??

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
For the interstaters who don't know, if you live in Brisbane you now have the opportunity to bowl 11 tournaments in the next 11 weeks. I'm all for it because I love bowling and like to earn some cash on the side. However, if you add up the total entries for all the events you just above the $1000 mark is a lot to fork out just before Christmas which is only 12 weeks away.

Tournament entries have been on the decrease for the past year, some of the recent events only attracting 30 bowlers or so. One point to note though, the centres who make the time to promote and chase the bowlers up ALWAYS get numbers at their events. Look at Ballina, any event in Caboolture, etc etc. Gone are the days where you just said an event was on and people would flock. Centre promotion is a key part of tournament numbers and recently some of the centres havn't been pulling their weight.

Just a quick suggestion based on what our friends in Cairns and Townsville have done which always seems to work. If you only have 1 event per year, take advantage of it. Let all your league bowlers know, offer inncentive prizes if they come and watch the big boys play. Advertise well in advance, chasing people up months before the event. Even use this forum to keep people posted on squads and numbers, let them know who's in what squad, etc etc. Cairns is on in Jan 2002 and they already have alomst 60 bowlers.

It's a simple forumla, hard work and promotion = increased tournament numbers. It's just up the centres to promote there own events, if they don't they won't be around next year.

Finally, do you think that 11 tournaments in 11 weeks is too much? I don't think so.....

Assorted formats might bring a fresh look to an abundance of (sadly, fading) tournaments.

I thought Kedrons tournament with the cut to 30 then pinfall dropped for another 6 qualifying then matchplay was very unusual - that said it was different, kept bowlers on their toes, allowed bowlers who might not usually make the cut after the standard 12 games a chance to make the cut.

Personally, I did not agree with this format but the key is IT IS SOMETHING DIFFERENT! If bowlers are truly sick of tournaments every week then perhaps some thought should be given to varying formats - double eliminations, step ladder finals, fewer games qualifying could accommodate this - I really don't know; these are just suggestions. What I really do not want to see is tournament bowling dwindle into non-existence - make no mistake about it - if the pattern of cancelled events due to lack of entries continue; we will not have a tournament scene in qld in the future.

There is an issue of entry fees as well - I guess the bowlers need to decide do you want a high prize fund or do you want cheap entry fees because I do not believe that any bowl makes a huge amount from holding these tournaments; particularly without sponsorship - how many sponsors will line up and back a tournament where the lack of entries could even mean the tournament might not even go ahead.

The promoting is a very valid point - what I dont understand is that when a centre holds an event that they cannot recruit at least, and I mean very least 10 of their own league bowlers to participate in the tournament.

Lastly, 11 tournaments in 11 weeks - awesome - it will be very interesting to see how many of these tournaments actually go ahead or fall into the basket of 'cancelled tournaments due to lack of entries'.

May the bowling gods shine on us and our tournaments.
icon_wink.gif

hi all, 11 tournaments in 11 weeks this is just wrong!! as much as i would love to see all 11 go ahead i don't think it is going to happen.

if there is no money in running a tournament for the centre why do we have 11 in 11 weeks?, now the centres need sit down with each other and set out a tournament calender so this doesnt happen again.

i think jon might be onto something with the promoting of tournaments, i can remember a few years back when caboolture would run spot tournaments before the caboolture open to encourage local bowlers to have a go.i haven't seen a spot tournament run for a while(i could be wrong i may have missed it).i think you could run spot tournaments based on averages used from your local league limit the average to 185-195 and try to encourage these bowlers to bowl in the local tournament.

i also think we need to start giving something back to the sponsors of the tournament. even if it is just a letter or maybe the winner of the tournament could show up and thank the sponsor ,have a photo taken with them have it framed and present it to them. it is only a small thing but the sponsor will have something to remember the tournament by and hopefully will remember it next year when he is asked for sponsorship ,and it is not just the winner who needs to thank the sponsor we all need to do it and with emails today it is easy to send a short thankyou note to them.

As a centre manager, I agree that we have to encourage the local bowlers to participate in Tournaments,this year for the skins before the Sun City Open, we have adopted an idea I found on this forum,that is that instead of money for winning a skins, we are giving free entry into the Tournament, it is proving very popular,and our numbers are increasing every day,the bowlers who would normally not want to enter the Sun City because they think they are not good enough,don't mind having a go, this year we are also having cheap practice games,so anyone thinking about coming up,we will try to make your Tournament enjoyable,if you would like to know more e mail me at [email protected]
icon_smile.gif
icon_wink.gif

Back
Top Bottom