Do you aim at arrows or pins?

Where do you aim when bowling?

• Total voters

The Insider

Trophy Collector
Further to the posts asking whether we should have pins when we practice, it would be interesting to know how many bowlers aim for the pins or specific arrows...

We might be surprised at the results...

What works best for you, and why?

I used to look at 3 areas on the lane when I was setting up on the approch.Where the was ball was going to leave my hand,where it started to pick up its roll and then hopefully where it was going to hook to the pocket. By the time the ball left my hand my head was looking down about 6-7 inches past the fowl line. As long as my left foot was 1 board left or right of where I started on the approach I knew it was close to the pocket.Earl Anthony did the same. I knew I taught him something.
Lovey

I look at the arrows and follow my arm through that target.
A mate of mine uses the dots at the foul line as his target.

I'm glad to see other people look at the pins ;)

I have tried looking at arrows / boards but for some reason I found it less consistent!

I find it more consistent if I look at the pins I want to hit... too much can happen between the arrows and the pins. I like to see the ball move towards the target.

When I used to bowl over arrows, I could hit them, no problem there, but the angle the ball passed over them makes a huge difference if you know what I mean. You can bowl over the arrow, but it also depends on where you stand on your approach. (Pivot philosophy there)

Would I be right in saying that?

i use the arrows, and on some occasions a distint mark on the lanes if i have to. i find aiming at a closer target more consistant for me than the pins.

I use the arrows but I can sometimes leave the centre without even knowing if I hit my spot. Lord knows where I am looking, I suppose somewhere between the arrows and the pins. Yes, I am very inconsistent! Last week I did concentrate in my last two games and was above average, I guess tomorrow will be the test.

I use to look at the arrows, but tended to loft the ball, a friend of mine said look at the dots half way from the foul line to the arrows,on each side there are 5 dots to 3 arrows, so you can the line you want the ball to go thru.

i normally aim at dot three on right hand side taking bowl over 2nd arrow , plus it is easier tto adjust than looking futher down the lane where you have more chance for error

Arrows or dots for me.

For those that aim at the pins...have you any idea how much easier it is to hit a target thats 15ft away rather than 60ft away?!

Spares - I aim at the pins if the spares on the right, but otherwise the arrows
Strike ball - Always at the arrows.

I'm not surprised that there is so many looking at the pins. When you first start, you're taught to hit the headpin to score the most points. Self-taught bowlers (like me) might find the habit of looking to the pins too hard to kick.

Im going totally different... i look at breakpoint, its a bit of a guess sometimes but ive been doing since i started so why change now

After thinking more about where I aim when bowling, it is not actually the pins I aim at - it is where I know the ball starts to hook (the breakpoint)

As I have a good idea of where the ball needs to be in order to hit the pocket, technically, this is also aiming at the pins.

I am trying to learn how to bowl over dots, but this may take time, as I have taught myself how to bowl - no coach.

I had to say that Brenton, it makes more sense than 'If im standing in the right place and i make a good shot i know i'll hit my target, stuffed if i know what im actually looking at at the time!!':D

Back
Top Bottom