Desperado squad at Masters Challenge

gunny

After bowling badly today, I decided to attend the "Deperado squad" for one more chance. On arrival at 9.10 pm prior to advertised check in time, I was confronted by the manager to be told they started early.
Where is the integrity of the centre and the TBA to follow basic advertised rules and times for this tornament?
Getting sick of being treated badly. seems like the tryers always struggle but not always on the lanes.
Anybody else feeling the same?

I wasn't present during the Desperado squad but, Russell, looking at your scores from this afternoon's qualifying, the centre manager has done you a favour and has saved you possibly $125.00.

You should ring up the manager and thank him.

FYI, the 2005 Masters Challenge is being conducted by Mentone Bowl and is only accredited by TBA. So I don't know how you can directly hold TBA responsible for your poor performance.

I would have to say that it is one of the best format and best run events that I have ever competed in. Well done to Mentone Bowl and the sponsors for putting on a great event which is obviously more in favour of the bowlers than the centre's bottom line. After the recent cancellation of some ranked tournaments perhaps other promoters can take note that's not all about profit.

You work it out - 49 entries x $100.00 = $4900.00. The total price fund payout has been guaranteed and as advertised on the entry form at $10,400.00. Some one is putting in $5500.00, that's before lineage and trophies.

Bugs, you could be right but then again the manager could have cost me. However you seem to have missed the whole concept of what I was trying to say.If an event is advertised with check in times etc. how happy are you going to be if things get changed on you? What if check in tomorrow changes to 8.00 am not 8.30. I think you will also find only first place ie $2000 is guaranteed, nothing states all places are being paid. I would be sure that $ 5500 is not being put in by sponsers.
I didn't hold anybody reponsible for the way I bowled. Some days will be good and some days will be bad, as ever bowler out there will know, don't kid yourself.
You did NOT comment on my post as to the integrity of the people running this tournament or any other committee. Rules are rules and should not be compromised no matter who they affect.
For the record I still enjoy bowling and actually participate in this type of event to catch up with other bowlers that over years I have formed friendships with. I continue to enter a number of similar events during the year for this reason. It annoys me that people can influence what should be rules that moniter Australian events, it annoys me that you miss the whole concept of what I was trying to say.

Bugs said:
I wasn't present during the Desperado squad but, Russell, looking at your scores from this afternoon's qualifying, the centre manager has done you a favour and has saved you possibly $125.00.

You should ring up the manager and thank him.

FYI, the 2005 Masters Challenge is being conducted by Mentone Bowl and is only accredited by TBA. So I don't know how you can directly hold TBA responsible for your poor performance.

I don't think Russell was blaming the TBA for bowling badly, bugs.

I must say, I'd be a little upset if I'd flown in from interstate, noted the documented time for the desperado squad, turned up before the advertised check in time, and been turned away because they decided to start it early.

In fact, I'd be lodging a rather strong protest.

It looks like Russell had bowled a 225 game during his series. That would have been good enough to win the desperado squad. He should have got his chance with all of the others.

$125 ... that's pretty cheap experience against some of the quality bowlers that you have lining up.

Yep, congratulations to the bowl and the promoters for running a great competition. Just wait for everyone to arrive.

Peter Martin
aka The Spanner.

The total price fund payout (ALL PLACES) has been guaranteed and as advertised on the entry form at $10,400.00. This was announced before each squad. Perhaps you were too busy "catching up" to hear this announcement.

Once again, the event has been run very well and it is disappointing to see one small and alleged indiscretion get your focus (negativity).

The volunteers and staff running the event had been there since 7.30am yesterday and I guess they just wanted to get out of there and ready themselves for their 7.30am start on Sunday.

People who run these events deserve more thanks than they do criticism.

OK, you certainly can't blame TBA for your poor performance (my bad) but conversely you can't blame TBA for the alleged early start of Desperado squad.

Bugs said:
The total price fund payout (ALL PLACES) has been guaranteed and as advertised on the entry form at $10,400.00. This was announced before each squad. Perhaps you were too busy "catching up" to hear this announcement.

Once again, the event has been run very well and it is disappointing to see one small and alleged indiscretion get your focus (negativity).

The volunteers and staff running the event had been there since 7.30am yesterday and I guess they just wanted to get out of there and ready themselves for their 7.30am start on Sunday.

People who run these events deserve more thanks than they do criticism.

OK, you certainly can't blame TBA for your poor performance (my bad) but conversely you can't blame TBA for the alleged early start of Desperado squad.

So .. who then is his beef with (and it seems like he does have a genuine complaint)? He has turned up before the advertised check-in time, to be told that they started early because people wanted to go home earlier? Ever started a league early because everyone except one person was there? No .. you would wait until the advertised time to give them a chance to turn up.

Volunteers maybe, but staff get paid for the hours they put in.

This gent has entered the tournament with the knowledge that he may be able to squeeze into the top 24 from bowling in the desperado squad. He wasn't given that opportunity. Why not?

I agree with you that tournament organisers work very hard and should be thanked at every opportunity. But starting early and leaving out potential entrants is an absolute no-no. It doesn't matter if the guy averaged 125 for the tourney, he should have had the chance in Desperado Squad.

By the way .. you mentioned in an earlier post that you weren't at the desperado squad .... but they have a score for you, unless you are posting under a different name?

Bugs said:

That isn't a very nice thing to say now Ingrid, or is it Peter? The bottom line is that the advertised time was the advertised time and if only one person missed out then there is a problem!

Congratulations for putting on a great tournament, but that fact that the SPONSOR (ie Peters business) is putting in $5000+ doesnt make it an excuse for running that last squad early.

This guy deserves at least an apology, not to be embarrassed and told he was done a favour. I wouldnt be holding my breath waiting for one.

There could be some rather large formal complaints about this one, and even though I am usually on the side of the TBA because I think they do a great job, this time I believe that they were immensly in the wrong...

p.s. Looking at the scores there seems to be something missing from this forum!!!

I just can't work out what it is! Someone hasn't said anything, but I can't quite put my finger on who it is.

Who normally complains about scoring in a TBA event?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well I was just down the road at around 9:30pm (when it was supposed to start) so was going to drop in a watch the game but on arrival was told it had already been finished. My immediate reaction that it was wrong and shouldn't have started early, but already being in the cut it didn't really concern me so I left it at that.

Yeah well i'm waiting for wchester to check out this thread and say his 2 cents, but this time I will probably agree with him. With TBA accreditation, it means that they should lay a 3:1 pattern down and well they might have said they did but I highly doubt that this was the case.

All in all a great tournament, well done to Trotts for the win and Dougy for his 300 game.

Cya all next year,
Hughesy

. . . and the twist is that the centre manager, and tournament director, had asked Gunny that afternoon if he was going to return for the Desperado Squad and the alleged reply "maybe but I will call you to confirm".

Must have lost the number.

Graham I am an individual, I'm allowed to express my own point of view with anomynity, isn't this what this forum is all about?

TBA is obviously the organisation that you all love to hate but lets face it you'd be lost without them. If you could only witness first hand what Peter, Alex and the dedicated volunteers put into this sport???

Please remove my registration from this forum. This is all crap and I do not wish to be part of it.

He said, she said !! The last squad was supposed to start at an advertised time, and you are trying to tell this guy HE is in the wrong ? What a joke !!!!!!!

Bugs said:
Graham I am an individual, I'm allowed to express my own point of view with anomynity, isn't this what this forum is all about?

To be honest I don't care who you are, but if you want to come in and give "your opinion" then you must be prepared to accept others opinions as well. By the looks of it, the only opinion that matters is yours.

If you want to stay anonymous, you wouldnt have displayed your email address to the world. Check out this button beneath your posts
icon_email.gif
- not too hard to figure out who you are now is it ?

Bugs said:
Please remove my registration from this forum. This is all crap and I do not wish to be part of it.

Perhaps you should've thought about that before you signed up. Everyone is quite welcome here, but it seems to be the ones who can't get their own way that have a sook. Another classic example.

Bugs said:

Yeah .. I know what you mean ... Manly won today, but all I will hear from my mates is how Hoppa got sent off.

Bugs said:
TBA is obviously the organisation that you all love to hate but lets face it you'd be lost without them. If you could only witness first hand what Peter, Alex and the dedicated volunteers put into this sport???

And let get this straight, I do not believe that TBA is at fault in this instance. I believe they had nothing to do with it. Tournament Directors sometimes make decisions that don't suit everyone and there are surely reasons why it was moved forward. It is unfortunate that one hopeful missed out bowling in this last squad.

My beef Bugs, is your "opinions" towards this guy.

Comments like :

Russell, looking at your scores from this afternoon's qualifying, the centre manager has done you a favour and has saved you possibly $125.00. You should ring up the manager and thank him.

are what I have a problem with !

This guy just needed an apology - woops sorry we stuffed up - we are sorry you missed out. He doesnt need your "opinions".

THATS what I have a problem with !

The only comment I will make on this is that it did state on the entry form that to bowl in the desperado squad you had to be registered prior to the commencement of M squad so if everyone who had registered to bowl the squad was there then I see no reason not to start earlier, this happens at other events, such as the Adelaide Womens Cup this year, as everyone for matchplay was there they decided to start prior to the advertised time. I am not bagging anyone and I am not taking sides just saying what i read in the entry form.

Thanks Cheryl

The entry form states that the contestant must have paid the $100 registration fee prior to the completion of m squad - nothing about listing and entry prior to. If you want to comment, make sure of your facts.
I also had not had any alleged discussion with the Peter about returning.

Well done to Trotts for winning today

Desperado Squad – Bowlers not already qualified in the Top 23 can bowl this squad.
To be eligible to bowl this squad each contestant must have paid the $100.00 registration
fee prior to the commencement of M Squad.
Entry Fee for the Desperado Squad is $25.00.

This was copied straight from the entry form that was posted on this site at the start of the month

Why hasn't "Gunny" come back to deny he was going to phone the bowl to confirm his intention to participate in the Desperado Squad??

Graham, I would have thought that Ingrid, as a bowler, has every right to reply or comment on this forum, without you assuming/inferring that it is Peter's comments.

Perhaps you as "moderator" should be a little less biased!

It was great to see Struc Plus sponsor this tournament. Well done Peter! Its a pitty more companies don't do the same, unfortunately why we have such negativity particularly in this forum, why would they bother.

Noelene Davies

eraser20 said:
Why hasn't "Gunny" come back to deny he was going to phone the bowl to confirm his intention to participate in the Desperado Squad??

Check the post at 604pm.

eraser20 said:
Graham, I would have thought that Ingrid, as a bowler, has every right to reply or comment on this forum, without you assuming/inferring that it is Peter's comments.

And I am not equally entitled to my own opinion? As the poster was acting in anonymity, I could only assume who was posting. And as I said, it wouldnt matter to me if it was Ingrid, Peter or Humphrey B Bear posting, I don't care who it is, those comments about Being done a favour were, IN MY OPINION uncalled for.

eraser20 said:
Perhaps you as "moderator" should be a little less biased!

Biased? Perhaps you should look the meaning of the word up before suggesting such things. Point out where I am being "biased". Once again is it because I don't agree with someones opinion?

If the fact that he missed out because he forgot to register, well that's fine. Why not just say that ? No excuse for the comments about "being done a favour". Maybe next time something doesnt go bugs way, see how she likes the "looks like you've been done a favour" comment being said to her.

Think she'll like it?

Back
Top Bottom