Depth of Australian bowlers

M

Matty_O

At Australian Open this weekend, Australia's best bowlers are on display. On a condition that has been laid at FIQ in previous years, many of our so called "better" bowlers are struggling.
Is it just a case of a bad day out, or should we be concerned about how our bowlers will compete against the best in the world?
Is this the reason we perform below our expectations overseas?
Any thoughts peoples?

Well, I think it comes down to what you are used to bowling on. Basically these days, there is no such thing as a block, and managers, techs and owners know this. What do most managers and owners want? $$$$$!! What's one thing that most people love bowling on?? High scoring conditions. There's no doubt about that, because I don't think I've met a bowler that doesn't have an ego.

The easiest way for the managers and owners to make the money, is to get more people bowling, so they conditions easier. When word gets around, more bowlers will go to that centre. When the managers notice that bowlers are going, they put down an even easier condition, and so on. It's one big, vicious cycle.

Now when you get to a tournament, that has a "proper" condition, you sort of get lost. I know that has happened to me. You find you actually have to be accurate, an art that is lost on the easier conditions.

Just my 2 cents worth. And no offense to anyone out there.

I would have to agree with you on that one Androo.

You have happy bowlers when they are scoring, if they aren't scoring they whinge pack up there gear and go home. Gone are the days when you needed to think about your game. These days you rock up to your centres knowing the condition out there and the shot to play.

As they say money makes the world go round and if it means centres put out conditions to rake in the bowlers, then they rake in the money and have happy patrons.

I think ultimately, you have to believe in your ability........everyone has a bad day.

Well thats my two bobs worth, dont mean to offend anyone.
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif
icon_smile.gif

Hey all,

i think it is very hard to just bring it all back to one weekend weather a bowler can bowl on an overseas shot or not.

I know that i bowled well below my best in the Australian Open but it was a bad weekend for me, sure the condition was hard but i think that if i was feeling good on the weekend and bowling the way i know i can i would score alot higher then i did.
People have to remember that bowlers are human and no matter what conditions go down ppl are going to have a good and bad weekends and that is why the sport is so challenging.

Even on a block conditions bowlers have there bad weekends so of course when the conditions are harder bowlers are still going to have there bad weekends it just looks alot worse.

Matty O

The future of Australian bowling was on display this weekend and I think it is looking preety good. Belmo, Jez, You, Michael Z etc all showed the determination that will take Australian bowling to bigger and better thing both here and o/s. The condition on the weekend was tougher than most people expected and for the scores to be as high as they were was impressive, I heard feedback from spectators saying while the scoring was not flash it was great to see bowlers pushed mentally and physically and the younger guys bowled great I thought and it will help you all for your rolloff in 2 weeks so lets see if we cant have a senior and youth team that is more than impressive with its FIQ endevours.

It was great to watch bowlers actually bowling on the weekend, instead of watching bowlers chuck a ball down a lane and have an 8 to 10 board area to play with.
Cara...what a bowler.
Belmo...impresive.

No gutter to gutter shot, the lane man must have got it right this time.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back
Top Bottom