DARRELL HOLT ROLL OFF 2008

• Thread starter DARRELLHOLTVICTORIA
  • Start date
D

DARRELLHOLTVICTORIA

Darrell Holt Victoria would like to invite all Eligible Bowls to take part in this year 2008 Roll Off, being held at AMF Forest Hill.
This Year we have 2 divisions a Restricted Division which is sponsored by Total Bowling and Classic Division sponsored by Bowling Ball Australia.

For more in formation please so do not hesitate to email [email protected] or go to www.holtchallenge.org.au.
And www.holtchallenge.org.au.

Yours in Bowling

Jeanette Kent
President of Victoria Holt

Attachments

• 2008 Darrell Holt Zone RollOff Entry Form 2008.doc
    158 KB · Views: 29
I would like to extend this, to all Eligible bowlers in the country. Anyone averaging 199 and below (Mens) and 189 (Womens) is probably eligible for one of these teams. Most zones across the country are holding roll-offs mid to late March.

If you think you might be interested, jump on www.holtchallenge.org.au and there you can find your zone contacts, and for some zones their entry forms.

I know people are not going to happy with this reply but it must be stated before anyone makes the team.
I love to go but IF I were to make a team (not very likely) it's going to cost in excess of $600 to go to SA to compete - mind you if you make both teams its DOUBLE:new_shocked: ....... as the rules state

COSTS AND DEPOSITS
The following information is applicable to either team, and in the case where a bowler makes both teams the following should be applied for both teams (in effect, the amounts are double for bowlers in both teams), so that both teams may offset their preliminary costs......page 3 Entry Form.

Go luck to those participating. Go VICS!!

I know people are not going to happy with this reply but it must be stated before anyone makes the team.
I love to go but IF I were to make a team (not very likely) it's going to cost in excess of $600 to go to SA to compete - mind you if you make both teams its DOUBLE:new_shocked: ....... as the rules state
COSTS AND DEPOSITS
The following information is applicable to either team, and in the case where a bowler makes both teams the following should be applied for both teams (in effect, the amounts are double for bowlers in both teams), so that both teams may offset their preliminary costs......page 3 Entry Form.
Jason,
This is a valid point that you raise. For the bowlers that have not been a part of this tournament and Walter De Veer or Rachuig, the understanding of the costs involved at first would seem daunting.

To send the team to Perth last year worked out to over $1,600 per bowler. This year it would be less due to no airfare cost to Perth and the hire of vehicle.
Lets look at the big picture:

5/6 nights accommodation - $300
Pants/skirt/shorts, jacket and 3 team shirts and a practice shirt - $350
All Events, Welcome squad and lineage for tournament - $230
Team Photo & Dinner dance ticket - $110
Lunches & drinks during tournament - $50
This comes to over $1,000 already.

We already have fundraising in place for this year which is why we have not put a figure in for the final payment. The committee feel that the fundraising will raise a decent amount but keep in mind that we do have to send teams to 2 events this year.

I remember one year in Walter De Veer where the bowlers had to pay $1000 and the Nationals were held in Melbourne!!

To compare to something closer to home, lets look at Country Cup as we know it at Sale.
Accommodation 3 nights - $150
Shirts - $45 each
Lineage - $85 each
Thats already just shy of $300 provided you only get 1 shirt. Then you have to still pay for meals and drinks.

Hopefully this has helped to clear up some of the costings involved.

As for your comment about your lack of confidence in making the team, you have a good chance as I know that you have the capabilities.

Liz Fabian-Czmok
Treasurer of Vic Holt

COSTS AND DEPOSITS
Jason,
This is a valid point that you raise. For the bowlers that have not been a part of this tournament and Walter De Veer or Rachuig, the understanding of the costs involved at first would seem daunting.
To send the team to Perth last year worked out to over $1,600 per bowler. This year it would be less due to no airfare cost to Perth and the hire of vehicle.
Lets look at the big picture:
5/6 nights accommodation - $300
Pants/skirt/shorts, jacket and 3 team shirts and a practice shirt - $350
All Events, Welcome squad and lineage for tournament - $230
Team Photo & Dinner dance ticket - $110
Lunches & drinks during tournament - $50
This comes to over $1,000 already.
We already have fundraising in place for this year which is why we have not put a figure in for the final payment. The committee feel that the fundraising will raise a decent amount but keep in mind that we do have to send teams to 2 events this year.
I remember one year in Walter De Veer where the bowlers had to pay $1000 and the Nationals were held in Melbourne!!
To compare to something closer to home, lets look at Country Cup as we know it at Sale.
Accommodation 3 nights - $150
Shirts - $45 each
Lineage - $85 each
Thats already just shy of $300 provided you only get 1 shirt. Then you have to still pay for meals and drinks.
Hopefully this has helped to clear up some of the costings involved.
As for your comment about your lack of confidence in making the team, you have a good chance as I know that you have the capabilities.

Liz Fabian-Czmok
Treasurer of Vic Holt

PS Apologies for posting this under Grumpie's user name. I have logged in as VIC HOLT user but when I post it keeps taking me back to Grumpie's user name.

OK I will try using the correct user this morning from a different computer and see how I go...........

To the last part of your question Jason - if you make both teams then yes your preliminary costs are doubled, however not all the expenses are the same.

Again let's look at the bigger picture. If you are a male and your average is between 185 and 199 inclusive,then you can only try out for the classic team.

If your average is 184 or less then you can try out for both teams.

I will ask the question "If your average is 150, would you try out for both?".

Not all bowlers eligible for both teams would try out for both.

If you make both teams, there is nothing stopping you from withdrawing your nomination from one of the teams.

Some people are willing to pay the costs so why exclude them.

If there is still some unanswered questions or I have not tackled a question enough please let me know. My forte is numbers and not words so I may not have worded an answer the same way as people who have "The gift of the gab". :)

Liz Fabian-Czmok
Treasurer of Holt Victoria

I suppose my response was of shock at the cost but also what of those that fill in the entry form and really don't read the rest of the document and then make the team. Personally that would have been me a few years ago but now I do read everything. Imagine if you had 3 or more bowlers make the team then get told the costs and pull out. It could potentially lose the tourny bowlers next year. It's just a thought....apologises if I have offended.

But GO VICs this year.

Jason,

Firstly there was nobody from the committee that was offended.

We are grateful for people like yourself. As you stated a lot of people don't read the entire entry form and then get upset by something that happens which they didn't read. A lot of people including myself will tend to read what they consider to be the most important and that is it.

I am always in favour of people asking questions and bringing things out in the open. This is the only way we can find out what the concerns of the bowlers are and maybe focus on more communication on these matters.

So you just keep asking questions, because as both you and I know, there are bowlers out there who don't.

Now hopefully Kellie has helped me out and when I submit this, it will come up under the right user. :)

Liz Fabian-Czmok
Treasurer for Holt Victoria

Jason,

You have every right to ask these questions, as it has been many times and many years before.

The figures stated on the entry form(s) are certainly the worst case scenario and the zone committees need to stipulate this so that all entrants are clear what the obligations are once a bowler has made the team.

However, many zones conduct fundraising activities 12 months of the year and Victoria is no different. The best case scenario is that once the team has been established that all will chip in and participate in the fundraising activities to reduce your own financial burden for this trip.

In past years there has been instances of some zones fundraising so much money that the team members incur no costs to attend this event while, after the trip, a surplus is realised to be either re-distributed back or carried forward for the following year.

I would encourage all eligible bowlers to give this event a shot and experience one of the best weeks of competition bowling available to the lower average bowler.

See you in SA - September 10th to 18th 2008

I would encourage all eligible bowlers to give this event a shot and experience one of the best weeks of competition bowling available to the lower average bowler.
See you in SA - September 10th to 18th 2008
I couldn't agree more. It is a great week and well worth the costs involved. Well said Peter.

Poz and I have been looking forward to the roll offs for quite some time now. Now that we have re-emerged from the bowling wilderness, we are hanging to try to be involved in different tournys. (Poz already bowled Dunn Shield last year and has lodged her entry for the Vic 150). What is more exiting is seeing people that we haven't seen for a long time.

Jason,

We are certainly looking forward to seeing you and Pauline back at it again. No doubt both of you will have your entries in for this event.

GO VICTORIA!! GO VICTORIA!!

:groupwave2:

Liz

Back
Top Bottom