Criteria for naming events

I was just wondering if there was any criteria for naming tenpin bowling tourneys/events.

For example, what determines if something is the "Australian tourney" as opposed to the "Town/city tourney"?

I guess to be realistic at this stage there are probably no standards currently in place. Anyone at this stage could effectively include "Australian", "Australia" in the name of their event.

However I would suggest that only one thing currently will determine whether your event is considered a "National" rather than "State based" or "local" event. That thing is the prizemoney on offer.

The prize payout you attribute to the event will determine if you will attract travelling bowlers. This is the only way you could realistically class the event as a National event.

To attract the travelling bowler you will need to:
1. Have the prizemoney for as many positions as you can guaranteed
2. Have at least a 1 in 3 prize payout
3. Ensure that the final prize positions at least return to the bowler an amount equal to or preferably more than the entry fee.
4. Attempt to have the event accredited by the TBA.
5. Try to get Total bowling, AMF, Goldpin or one of the ball companies on board as a participant in the event.

Unfortunately these days unless people can see a possible return the event won't attract travelling bowlers and without them you just have a local event.

So wouldn't it be a good idea for TBA to step in and list those tourneys/events that can be named "National" or "Australian" or even "State"?

If we want credibility for our sport and so on then don't we need some sort of thing in place to cover this instead of minor tourneys being able to use those titles?

I don't know that anyone has ever named their tournaments either National or State if they weren't TBA or State Association tourneys.
As for naming a tourney 'Australian' you are obviously referring to the Australian 60 Game Marathon at Werribee as you mentioned in a post on that thread that the name was ambiguous. Not sure if you realise that its in the same week as Australia Day so the name was a symbolic and also patriotic gesture. We used to have a Marathon called the Anzac Day 60 Game Marathon.
But now that you mention it we may register this tournaments name so nobody takes this event from us as they have in the past.

You may however want to get a team in and not miss our wonderful event.

Doriana Porto
Werribee Superbowl

:rolleyes:;)

I was not naming your marathon directly as it is only one tourney but you are correct, it is not an "Australian" event. No matter how well you run it (and credit where it is due, you usually do a great job) it is still only a centre tourney.

I just want to know if there is anything in place, or in the pipelines, to create a naming convention for tourneys so that they are consistent.

National tourneys named as such.
State tourneys named as such.
Ranked tourneys named as such.
Centre tourneys named as such.
and so on.

This is not a reflection on their tourney. I have been to the Marathon and it is a great event, a great format (we gave them :p) and a great weekend. I recommend it to anyone. I just disagree with the current name.

Back
Top Bottom