Chermside Hyperbowl - Major Youth/Junior announcement

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
NEWS RELEASE

Chermside Hyperbowl will send 4 junior bowlers and 4 youth bowlers to Albuquerque New Mexico, USA.​

In February/March 2012 the Hyperbowl circuit of Chermside and Strathpine will send a squad of bowlers to visit Steve Mackie's "Tenpins & More" bowling centre in Albuquerque, USA.

In seven days, amongst competitive bowling against American bowlers from Tenpin and More and the University of New Mexico, our bowlers will have the opportunity to enjoy free coaching sessions with PBA Tour bowlers Dana Miller-Mackie and Mike Miller. Additional activites will include the worlds longest tram ride to the peak of the Sandia Mountain at 10,386ft and a visit to the Old Town settlement of 1706.

The Hyperbowl squad will include equal numbers of boys and girls and will enjoy approved billets in Amercian homes. Two adult supervisiors will accompany the squad. The squad will automatically be selected from a series of elimination matches between bowlers from both Hyperbowl centres commencing in September, 2011.

Qualification criteria will be;

* Full participation in league bowling at either Chermside or Strathpine Hyperbowls between March and September 2011.
* Not participating in league bowling in any other centre during that period
* Entitlement to Australian passports
* In the case of juniors, parental or guardians approval

Cost will be:

* Entry fee is $5.00 Payable by June 30, 2011 or before capacity entries received
* Bowling fee's, three game matches $15.00 or 2x2 game matches $20.00

Elimination tournament :

* There will be 4 divisions, female junior and male unior (under 18 at January 1, 2012), female youth and male youth (under 25 at January 2012).
* Single head to head scratch elimination matches over 3 games will be scheduled to each occur in a seven day period. Competitors will be advised of their opponents and may arrange to bowl at any mutually agreed time and centre.
* If there is no agreement about in which centre to compete, then 2 x 2 game matches will be played, one each at each centre.
* Total pinfall will decide the winner, who will then face his nect match, the loser will be eliminated. This process is repeated until there is 4 bowlers in each division.
* The top 4 bowlers in each division will then compete in a special event to be held at Chermside Hyperbowl in December 2011. No bowling fees will be charged for this event.
* The top 2 bowlers in each division will then be invited to join the travelling squad. The losing 8 bowlers will receive $100 each.

Tournament director is Ron Rush. Any questions regarding this maybe put on here or feel free to send me a PM.

This is an amazing trip which is being put up for grabs, if you are a junior or youth bowler in Brisbane you should be jumping at this opportunity.

A great opportunity but how many passionate youth/juniors out there actually bowl at one centre.

I bowl at Strathpine and have done for 8years and consider it my home centre. However because there is no challenge for me I have had to go to another centre and bowl another league as well as Strathpine. ( As do alot of top bowlers and I am not just talking junior/youth)

This rules me out straight away eventhough I have represented Hyperbowl at all major tournaments over the past years as a junior and are proud of it.

It comes down to committment Chloe, you can always bowl tournaments at other centres, even socially bowl at other centres. Remember the requirement is only league.

I am sure there are other people in your situation, I would encourage you to think about the opportunity a little longer. A fully paid trip to the USA with coaching by pros and competition against college bowlers dont come around every day.

I will be at Chermside for the 2011 season, if your looking at furthering your game I coach and drill balls. Have a re-think!

Bowling another league at a different centre doesn't mean Im not committed. I still bowl in the top junior league available but that would mean only bowling 1 league a week.

The Adult leagues don't offer a challenge to me and the ones that do don't allow juniors to bowl in it.

I have a 194 avg and been advised to bowl at different centres to gain the experience to further more improve myself.

Got to admit i was suprised by condition # 2 as well... and i agree with Chloe.

Given the restriction time period is march to sept would mean potentially not bowling for 2 league seasons (the end of one and the start of the next).

What is the reason George that Juniors or Youth can not bowl in a league in another centre?

You say it comes down to commitment George, Chloe seems pretty committed bowling numerous leagues in more than 1 centre, sounds pretty committed to me.

I thought bowling in Australia could do with as many league bowlers in as many centres as possible, just seems to me this is a very odd restriction to put in place at a time when we are trying to increase numbers.

This offer is very similar to the requirement of our junior bowlers to use only Brunswick equipment for the Asian Schools Championships squad.

Is it a generous offer and great opportunity? YES!
Is it any different to an individual signing with a ball company in a sponsorship deal? NO!

Have the responses thus far told us anything? YES - THAT BOWLERS WANT EVERYTHING BUT DON'T WANT TO MAKE SACRIFICES.

Anyone who dreams of a future in this sport MUST make sacrifices. There is no easy way to success.

Roysa in my opinion improvement comes in practise, training (physical), knowledge and participating in tournaments, not from bowling several leagues. I never bowl more than one league myself, I prefer to practise to hone my skills, I cant see how bowling multiple leagues help. Most leagues lay the same condition every week so bowling it does not improve your skill level whatsoever.

If you want to play against better bowlers, bowl tournaments where people are better than you or bowl a league where higher average people participate (such as the Wednesday doubles league I am bowling at Chermside).

As for juniors not being allowed to bowl with adults, yet to see it in my lifetime but maybe I"ve lived a sheltered 30yrs in the bowling industry :) I have proven that the pathway to success is practise and commitment, no bowling a bunch of leagues.

I think Chermsides well within their right to make it exclusive for league, they are putting up a prize worth about $8000 per bowler, how many other centres doing that?

Firstly Wayne in my opinion i dont think it is a necessary sacrifice, saying to youth or juniors that we will offer you this if you bowl exculsively with us kinda takes away from the whole offer. Why cant these bowlers still bowl in a league in that centre but also bowl elsewhere.

And George, i presume that what Chloe is saying is that the other centre she bowls in puts down a tougher condition ( i dont know? ) hence why she bowls in multiple leagues. You say improvment comes with practise, of course it does, Chloe bowls multiple leagues obviously does that not count as extra games therefore more time on the lanes.

Guys not looking to start an argument, just healthy debate and i dont know how the politics of it all works up there in QLD but i cant see how restricting bowlers to one centre for 7 months is a good thing for bowling.

Dont get me wrong the offer is very generous, i just find one of the restrictions is in the wrong spirit and sure make it that the junior or youth must bowl in the centre in atleast 1 league but dont stop them from bowling in other centres. What if you have 20 ppl interested, thats 20 ppl who cant bowl in other centres for 7 months "incase" they are good enough to qualify. Just doesnt sit well with me and im happy for others to disagree... thats what is all about.

Thankyou everyone for your comments. I never intended to start an arguement.

I am 14 and very committed to my bowling and have a wonderful coach in Gail T.

And George there is a league at my home centre that would not allow Juniors to bowl.

I am going to be loyal to my fellow bowlers and continue to bowl at the other centre.

There's no guarantee's with the roll off of being successful and are not prepared to give up bowling at another centre to accomadate the rules. This is something I have decided and have to live with and has nothing to do with not being committed.

I guess at the end of day all that matters is that I am happy with who I am and what decision I made.

Best of Luck to all Juniors/Youth that roll off

wow what an opportunity.

I wish something like that would be offered in Victoria because i would definitely jump at that offer. The terms they are asking for seem very acceptable considering the amount they are giving.

Chloe you should seriously consider this. Big things like this come around once a blue moon and realistically you may never get this chance again. I'm sure your home centre won't mind you bowling somewhere else for 7 months if they truly do want you to achieve your best in the sport.

There's nothing stopping you from practicing at other centres either.

Thats Mr P. My home centre is Hyperbowl but as I have chosen to bowl another league somewhere else as well this year this offer now excludes me and several others.

It is sad as 5 Juniors from Strathpine made SQ President Shield Team for this year and all bowl at different centres but call Strathpine Home.

To me that is Loyalty.

This is without doubt a tremendous opportunity for our junior/youth bowlers. Thank you to both Hyperbowls and of course yourself George. Truely an amazing effort people!

Grant

it's for juniors lewis, mostly for up and coming bowlers

It's also for youth bowlers and i don't think it's just for up and coming bowlers, it's opening to any junior and youth bowlers willing to fill the requirements.

Would be fantastic if there was something like this in Victoria!

so if we pre bowl for those months for our other league are we still eligible for this.
it makes it hard if you already have a comittment to another league in a different centre.

so if we pre bowl for those months for our other league are we still eligible for this.
it makes it hard if you already have a comittment to another league in a different centre.

Haha... loop hole time... :)

sorry im just stirring the pot now, but this is now 2 good examples of exactly what im talking about above. And they are just the ones that bother to post on TB.

Still a great opportunity, no doubt, shame its not available for all though.

Hey everyone I'm a an experienced junior bowling at Strathpine and I have been bowling there for about 6 years now. I am 16 years old , When I found out about this opportunity I thought it was an excellent idea and I was really looking forward to participate in it. The only problem was that guideline of only bowling at Strathpine or chermside. Now at Strathpine i average about 200 I did question about the guideline because I thought I showed enough commitment to the hyperbowls, in 2010 I bowled in 3 leagues at Strathpine an participated in various tournaments through out the year representing Strathpine but I also bowled 1 league at Aspley. I just can't understand how that is not enough commitment to the hyperbowls?????

Haha... loop hole time... :)

sorry im just stirring the pot now, but this is now 2 good examples of exactly what im talking about above. And they are just the ones that bother to post on TB.

Still a great opportunity, no doubt, shame its not available for all though.

makes it even worse if you have already started the bowling season.

Pretty sure that particular condition of entry falls under anti-competitive behaviour, under the clause "exclusive dealing".

Good competition. Hope you checked it with legal first!

Back
Top Bottom