CARA HONEYCHURCH SELECTED FOR ROBBY AWARD

Graham

Staff member
ROCKFORD, ILLINOIS - The Professional Women's Bowling Association members voted Australia's Cara Honeychurch as the 2002 recipient of the Robby Award. Given to the player that "best exemplifies the most positive image of women in professional bowling on and off the lanes and named in honor of Charles E. (Robby) Robinson, Honeychurch earned 36 percent of the player's vote en route to the honor.

"I never thought I would win this unique and special award," said Honeychurch. "I always told myself that if I was ever good enough to compete on the PWBA tour that I would make a point of conducting myself in a professional manner. I know I'm not perfect and still have to work on some things but it's a wonderful compliment to be selected for the Robby."

"We have so many young fans that come and watch us compete each week. I've always felt it was important to be conscious of what you do on and off the lanes."

Named Rookie of the Year in 2000 and Player of the Year Runner-up in 2001, Honeychurch has now won a post-season award for three consecutive years. The lefthander is the 19th bowler to earn the Robby.

One of the PWBA top performers over the last three seasons, Honeychurch completed the 2002 campaign with the tour's seventh best overall average (212.48). She ranked 11th in earnings ($41,815) and 17th in competition points (6,945). She was one of 12 different players to take home championship hardware last season after she claimed her eighth career title at the Greater Harrisburg Open.

Competing in 14 national tournaments, Honeychurch cashed in 13 events and finished in the top ten seven times. She appeared in five televised finals including a fourth place finish at the Women's International Bowling Congress Queens tournament.

The Professional Women's Bowling Association, founded in 1981 as the Ladies Professional Bowlers Tour, provides a professional tournament program for the most skilled women bowlers in the world. The PWBA's key sponsors include the Women's International Bowling Congress (WIBC), Travelodge, Miller, Pepsi and more than a dozen other bowling industry sponsors. For the latest information on the PWBA go to www.pwba.com.

Another great achievement for Cara

The expression 'if you shake the bottle hard enough the cream will always rise to the top' exemplifies the achievements of Cara Honeychurch. The Robby's Award is yet another milestone in the illustrious career of this Champion. All of us at BowlAustralia are so proud of this young lady ...and honoured to have her represent our brand so magnificently. Congratulations, Cara on yet another superb achievement!
Roy Menachemson obo BowlAustralia Group

Graham,

This story made the sports page of this mornings West Australian paper!! Granted it was but a short overview - but a bowling story appearing in an Australian daily - well my heart missed a beat [and at my age I can't afford too many misses!].

Just goes to show what interest even bowling can generate when the story relates to a local making the big time in the US - sad but true. Cara could have won 10 majors in a row here, averaging 250 plus and I would wager not one word of it would be published in a major daily.

Many things change for better or worse, it seems however that myopic journalisim does not change at all. Although, one must be grateful for small mercies.

Steve Jones

Back
Top Bottom