broken wrist

dazgore

Hi,

I have really inconsistant broken wrist problems. One day i bowl fine, high 180's then another i have broken wrist problems - struggle for a 145.
I feel my wrist twisting during the backswing, i do nothing new to my normal routine, but the realease and feel just pack up on me.
I have been told to put slight pressure with my index finger, as this makes your wrist tend to not brake, but i find that when i do this, my release suffers, my finger pushes the ball off of my hand, and off target.
I wouldn't consider myself to have a weak wrist, but this problem is getting me down, it seems to crop up about every 3rd or 4th league night.
For instance my average has increased heaps, due to redrilling and fitting, the last four series have been (for a 152 avg bowler)
480, 486, 553, 506, and then tonight the dredded wrist .... 381.
I have tried a wrist brace, but just feels really awkward.
Is there any drills, exercises, etc.. that can help me overcome this problem.
Like I say, it only happens 1 in every 3 or 4 trips to the alley.
Is this a fatigue or tiredness problem?

Heeelllpppp

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

Weak wrists are a common problem in bowling. There are quite a few things you can do to help overcome this problem. One is obviously a wrist guard - but as you say, they feel uncomfortable at first. If you persist with it eventually you will become used to it.

However, another possible solution is actually strengthening the wrist. A good way to do this is get a small weight (say 1 kg to start), and with your arm and wrist out straight directly infront of you (level) just use that weight to go from a broken wrist, to a cupped wrist. Do it say 10 times slowly in a row to start, and build up gradually. It's whatever you're comfortable with. Perhaps over time you could go to a heavier weight. Just don't overdo it or you could end up putting too much stress on the wrist.

Hope this helps.

If you are going to do wrist curls, don't do it with your arm held out in front of you (unless you WANT shoulder problems to develop). Support the forearm on a flat surface to do wrist curls. You can do them watching tv, using a chair with armrests.
Daz, your wrist problem might actually be a timing problem. If you are rushing the swing, your wrist could be collapsing as you pull the ball through. Concentrate on a free & easy swing, and try to 'feel' the weight of the ball on your fingertips, rather than carrying it with your thumb.

Cheers, Rob.

thanks guys,

I have a strong wrist, Robbies suggestion is more whats happening. I think too, that i am too relaxed with my hand, i need to keep a firm wrist, at the top of the backswing, the weight of the balls momentum, flips my hand up, i am not behind the ball - hope this makes sense.

Daz

I have this problem too .. I used to think I had a very strong wrist also .. but I later found it wasn't really my wrist that was strong it was my forearm .. and when I tore all the muscles in my forearm after i have found it very hard to hold the ball in a good position .. I feel when I do I have alot of timing problems and tend to loft the ball.

It actually does help if you do some light weight training. By doing this you can strengthen your wrists, arms and shoulders. Every so often when i get the chance (with having a new job, it isnt very often now) I do about 3 sets of 10 reps with a 5 kg dumbell, or 8 kg on a barbell.

This helps in controlling the weight of the ball, as 15lbs is about 7kg.

I hope that this helps in any way :)

Back
Top Bottom