Help for back-up bowlers

C

crazzzed

Hi all,
I was helping a friend the other day who is a back-up bowler. As i'm a hook bowler it alittle different when instructing a backwards bowler :lol: I was trying to help move the track lower - full roller currently. I'm having trouble working out a way to get the thumb out earlier so theres more fingers on the ball as the wrist is broken. We are trying to strengthen that, until then though does anyone out there know any tricks/tips/techniques that might help with these two things?
Its amazing how much we take for granted when you already have the basics and know what it feels like. This bowler is self taught so its a matter of breaking some old habits aswell.
Thx
B

Help for Backup Bowlers

Crazzzed

I do not know if you are are coach or not or just a friend helping out - Some things are best left for coaches.

This is one of those things - I will give you an answer - and there are probably very many ways you can tackle this issue - but firstly a coach would decide if the person is definitely a back up bowler - what the bowler wants to do in the sport - How grooved his actions are (repetitive). There are tests a coach will do to determine if making what the athlete does naturally cannot be trained in a diferent manner - this test is called 'drop and spin' - The description below identifies a reverse hook action.

Without any idea of what your friend does and that is the limitation of the written word with no video - I can tell you a backup bowler will always swing the ball from the top of the backswing to the bottom of the swing in towards the body before the release point.

The thing you would like to achieve is lower ball track and 'more revs'. To lower the track which, for your friend, would be on the right hand side of the ball, have your friend move the thumb downwards at the moment of release in the direction of one or two or three oclock - If there is pushing or pulling in the swing - trying to do this may cause injury. (You will need to consult with a ball driller to ensure that the grip will facilitate this action)
If your friend is full rolling the ball he or she is kicking the thumb up to 12 o'clock on release.
More revs concerns the trigger action of the release - and the timing of the release in the swing, (this also includes the wrist and hand action) which is compromised by pushing and pulling the ball - I would work on the lower track if you need it. Full rollers are OK - they bowl well on dry conditions generally - I know ball drillers and coaches prefer people to be 3/4 rollers but a shot is a shot and all technique adjustments should fit the skills audit of the bowler.

I saw your question earlier - and when I checked - noone had answered - that is because not many people understand what makes this type of bowler tick. I certainly do not know about all actions of all types of bowlers but thought you should see what I see through my eyes - It is just another action on a ball - I know a backup bowler in Victoria who has shot a 700 - I know another from Qld who has made Australian team status in the early days.
Get a coach to consult with also - this way you will prevent possible injury.

Best of luck
Gail Torrens

Help for Backup Bowler

Crazzzed

The instructions above are for a right handed bowler - sorry should have made that clear at the beginning - ----- :oops: pretty important point to leave out.

I have seen Left Handed reverse hook bowlers (incredible as it may seem).

Gail

Hi Gail,
Thanks for your reply. In answer to your questions, no I'm not a qualified coach, just a friend that has more experience than the bowler in question. The problem I have is that I am a hook bowler and as you would know its quite different between that and a backup bowler.
The reason for the help is she would quite often leave 5pins from fair shots and I told her that ball needed to get into a roll and not skid into the pocket, thus we started to address speed and release.
As for the level she would like to reach, well shes not after a spot in the Australian team but would like to get to a high 180-190 ave. Currently she is around the high 170's.
Anyway thanks again and time will tell if she can do it :)

Regards
B

Help for backup bowler

Crazzzed - see if your friend can bowl extreme outside and outside angles and close all angles up from the left?? See if you friend can bowl with a heavier ball.

THese suggestions will help get that 5 pin out - and rough the ball up also.

Great to see people helping out.

Gail

Thanks again Gail, I have started on those already. Moved from around 15board to now outside 10. Also ball weight has been addressed. Moved from high 12's/ low 13's up to low 14's. So far its seems ok. As I've said speed (way to fast for her shot) was an issue and this has also helped this.
Yes it is nice to see people helping so thank-you very much.

Back
Top Bottom