Ball Drillers... Help!

S

Scotty H

Hey all,

Hopefully someone out there can visualise what I am about to describe.

I have had my ball drilled earlier this year by Gavin at Richlands (while he was still there) and then my newest one by Harold Fryer. Both did a great job in my opinion however I am still having a bit of trouble.

My current ball is a 15lb Visionary Immortal and its drilled in a mostly standard way. What makes it different is that its drilled with a fair amount of reverse pitch because when I was measured up and Gavin drilled out the ball as he normally would, it immediately created a problem with shocking blistering to the immediate left side of my thumbnail. He attempted to alleviate the problem by scraping out the side of the hole to allow better release around the thumb but without much improvement. The only solution seemed to be to put the reverse pitch on it. This created another problem, the ball is that much harder to hold on to now... I use grip tape inside the hole, and Rosin on my thumb, and I am able to make it work, but my wrist and thumb gets really tired after a couple of games and by my 4th game each week, consistency is out the window. I end up letting the ball go too early / dropping it all together and it makes for a frustrating night.

So what im hoping for is that someone else might be able to suggest a solution. My thoughts were to angle the hole slightly to the side/perpendicular to the grip line, instead of angling it towards the finger holes and that way it might even up the reverse pitch to being a bit more neutral, whilst still helping with the blistering problem. Perhaps another alternative would be an oval thumb hole?

Can someone please help with a suggestion as protector tape is working for now with the blistering but it isnt helping the fatigue.

Cheers,

-Scott

OK, I can only go on what you are telling me, and need more info.

Blistering on the left of the thumbnail as a right hander, means the lateral pitch is incorrect. You may need more left lateral. Get someone to do a coke bottle test to determine the correct lateral pitch.

Second. Older style drillers tend to add reverse to the thumb, forward to the fingers, and also slightly overspan the grip to increase lift. They then have to make the thumb hole larger than required to allow someone to get out of the ball.

This creates over cupping of the wrist, poorer POTENTIAL shot direction, and can also create heaps of grab at the bottom of the swing plane.

A better taught method in fitting for today, is to actually reduce reverse in the thumb (some people actually end up getting an awesome amount of forward pitch), correctly oval and front bevel it, reduce the span to "relaxed" rather than stretched, and add a small amount of reverse in the fingers, allowing the bowler to be able to PLACE the ball on the lane better.

This method also allows less strain on the finger tendons which in turn should help with the fatigue factor. I would personally also suggest going with a VACU-grip fitting method for your grips, as this should also help aleviate pressure on the hand.

Up your way, I have HEARD (take this into consideration, i've never used these guys) of a couple of drillers that know a bit about the fitting methods of today. Try Rudy, Brando (if you can afford him), George or Timmy Reichel based on your location, as these guys keep more up to date than most when it comes to fitting.

Hope this helps....

Blistering on the left of the thumbnail as a right hander, means the lateral pitch is incorrect. You may need more left lateral. Get someone to do a coke bottle test to determine the correct lateral pitch.
I probably should have mentioned that. Right handed bowler, using a Robby's Revs guard. Not really a cranker but more in between. Average ball speed. Try to give it a little rip at the end of the shot but have trouble holding on to it. Never heard of the coke bottle test however.
This creates over cupping of the wrist, poorer POTENTIAL shot direction, and can also create heaps of grab at the bottom of the swing plane.
I mostly notice the problem at the bottom of the swing. Just before I am supposed to let it go. Thats when it really grabs hold of my thumb. Sounds a bit contradictory with the ball 'grabbing hold' of my thumb and also having trouble holding onto it.
...reduce the span to "relaxed" rather than stretched, and add a small amount of reverse in the fingers, allowing the bowler to be able to PLACE the ball on the lane better.
My span was also shortened by quite a lot (5mm ish). Feels much better and I am getting much less grab on the inside of the thumb.
I would personally also suggest going with a VACU-grip fitting method for your grips, as this should also help aleviate pressure on the hand.
Can you please tell me more about the Vacu-grip method? I have never heard of them.
Up your way, I have HEARD (take this into consideration, i've never used these guys) of a couple of drillers that know a bit about the fitting methods of today. Try Rudy, Brando (if you can afford him), George or Timmy Reichel based on your location, as these guys keep more up to date than most when it comes to fitting.
Where would these drillers be located? I know Brando and have dealt with him before, but something a little closer to Brisbane would be better.

Cheers for that Tonx, can always count on a detailed answer from you.

-Scott

Hi Scott,
I fit vacu grips up here in Toowoomba….they are ideal for people with fingers that swell and those that blister and tear fingers real easy…..the vacu grip is a normal lifter .. (I use either vise or turbo quads)… 1 to 2 sizes smaller than normal …put into a slighty larger hole with a plastic collar in the bottom of the hole that the lifter glues into…the lifter then gets glued to the front of the hole at the top and left loose at the sides and back….thus the lifter can expand around the fingers as you push them in…this creates the “vacumn effect”…. hope this helps some….message me if you want to know more or drop me a line at Garden City Lanes…
Also sounds to me like you need more lateral pitch on the thumb because there should be no rubbing at all on your exit from the ball.......do you also crimp with your thumb at all??

Hi Scott, what you have described to me, say's you are bending your Thumb in the ball, this can be caused by a Thumb Hole that has too much reverse or is too big. If you have been bowling with this ball for quite a while than you may have developed a habit of crimping the ball, therefor even with the right drilling you may not be able to exit the ball. You may need retraining.

willey

Thanks Tom & Frank for your replies.

Crimping I assume is just having to squeeze the ball like crazy to hold onto it? If thats what you mean, then I am crimping.

As for bending the thumb in the ball, I am definately doing that. But to what extent I dont know. For example, I never get any troubles on the outside (knuckle) of my thumb from bending too much. That should be prevented by the size of the hole being correct. How much is too much?
I know I am definately bending the thumb to get a better grip in the ball but how are you meant to hold it? I assume that every bowler should have their thumb bent to at least press flat against the side of the hole?

Arghhh! Stupid thumb... :mad:

These Vacu-Grips sound like the plan, and perhaps a removable thumb solid like the Griploc or another brand. Might get a little expensive and complicated to redrill each of my 3 balls.

Thanks again guys.

-Scott

i have been in the same situation you are talking about
and i am in a re learning phase myself
i thought that i was going allright
but after haveing a couple of balls drilled by rudy i have come to realise that my thumb holes have been way to big
i just have to have removable slugs as my thumb swells something shocking
but dont despair when you fall back in scores because that is what is happening to me but just last night i felt very consistent with my release
and i am sure it will all come together soon
daniel d

Hi again Scott, when you do have the right grip than you can learn to relax the grip, there is no need to squeeze with the right technique and proper fit. It may take a while but you have to make the effort. By that I mean go to a reputable ball driller and trust what he drills, if you can't get out of the ball than it's probably your technique that's the problem, don't enlarge the hole's to release, practise releasing relaxed.

willey.

Back
Top Bottom