Bradley & Trotter take out SPC

Graham

Staff member
AUSTRALIA'S WORLD CUP REPRESENTATIVES DECIDED AT EBONITE SOUTH PACIFIC CLASSIC

Australian team members Paul Trotter and Amanda Bradley won the 2002 Ebonite South Pacific Classic and in the process have earned themselves the right to represent Australia in the 38th AMF Bowling World Cup at the Toss Bowling Center in Riga, Latvia October 18-27, 2002.

After finishing qualifying in first on Day 2, Victorian Paul Trotter extended his lead during the second stage of the tournament. Trotter headed into Matchplay with a 75 pin lead, and number of bowlers including Scott Sadler, Mark Foster, Sam Romeo, Bruno Maglieri and Michael Muir all made charges at Trotter for the lead but he didn't falter throughout the day, eventually winning by 96 pins over last years champion Michael Muir. Bruno Maglieri, who was champion two years ago and runner up last year continued his run of good results in this tournament by finishing third. The win was Trotters second Super Six title of 2002, ensuring he cemented his lead on the Overall Points table.

"This is just unbelievable!" Trotter said after his win. "I'm really looking forward to going away and doing well. I didn't bowl all that great when I bowled for Australia last time and I want to make up for it."

The women's division was proof that when the champions turn it on there isn't much anybody can do.

Kate Wilton from the ACT lead by 99 pins after qualifying from Queenslands Kelly Warren, with former World Cup Champion Amanda Bradley in third. Wilton maintained this lead during Matchplay, bowling games of 258, 224 & 247 in games 3, 4 & 5 to stretch the lead to over 100 pins, and many in the crowd expected Wilton to easily win the title. They say you should never to underestimate a great bowler, and Amanda Bradley showed everyone why. Bradley exploded in her last four games, bowling back to back 279 games then a 247. Her 3 game total of 805 enabled her to hit the front. Bradley closed with a 237 game to make it 1042 for the last 4 games, and a closing 243 by Wilton was never going to be enough. Amanda Bradley had earned herself a trip to Latvia, and another crack at the AMF World Cup that she won in 1999 at Sams Town in Las Vegas.

The final event in the AMF Super Six series will be held at AMF Penrith Bowl in Sydney on 16th & 17th November.

Back
Top Bottom