Boys and shorts

Hi all,

just wondering what people's thoughts were on boys/men wearing neat dress shorts for tournaments. Do people think it is a good idea or not?

seems to me that there is no logical reason for only the girls being able to wear shorts, as long as the boys wear shorts that are neat and tidy.

regards,
paul streatfield

although it is a topic that has been discussed before...it is still an issue

effectively, by only letting girls wear shorts, the rule might as well say one of two things:

a) girls look better in shorts or...
b) girls get hotter than boys so they need to wear shorts in hotter weather

both of which seem quite unfair to the boys

paul streatfield

I'm not going to bother reading through every post from the above link, but at a glance it seems that the majority of people don't mind the idea of shorts, as long as they are proper dress shorts and do not look scruffy

the poll also shows a heavy bias towards people liking the idea of shorts

if they are proper dress shorts, and a fair amount of money has been spent on them, and they look nice...then why shouldn't we be able to wear them?

professional golfers these days can wear shorts and they are playing for millions of dollars...we are playing for a trophy, medal, or a much smaller prize fund

so what if boys have had to wear trousers in the past... time to move on

if this issue has supposedly already been dealt with, then how come nothings changed?

or maybe it would just be easier to sweep the issue under the carpet again?????

paul streatfield

if this issue has supposedly already been dealt with, then how come nothings changed?
or maybe it would just be easier to sweep the issue under the carpet again?????
paul streatfield

Simple Paul - and this has been confirmed through several threads lately.... a controlling body (cough cough) called TBA.

But then their lack of action on this is better than their action regarding De Veer, I think they are incapable of making a decision for the betterment of the sport.

Max

couldn't agree with you more max

perhaps rather than being proactive and trying to improve the sport we should all just sit back and see what happens

what amazes me is the way in which people can ignore what the majority of people are saying and just continue in their set ways

paul streatfield

Correct if I'm wrong but I don't know how the (cough cough) TBA enforces their policy on dress codes on all tournaments.
They only enforce their own tournaments which allows for many opportunities to wear shorts.

We introduced a new ruling for our tournaments which states quite clearly that 'All bowlers are required to wear neat, suitable attire at all times. Bowling shirts, trousers/skirts are preferred (jeans, track pants, leggings, bike shorts or T-shirts are not permitted). Ladies may bowl in tailored shorts/pants. Men will be permitted to wear tailored shorts no shorter than 5cm above the knee. This rule will be strictly enforced.' It worked well this year however I sometimes think that the length rule should apply to the girls also given how brief they are at times.

Doriana

hi doriana,

the main issue here is that the ruling on shorts is not consistent. seems like one day boys can wear shorts, next they cant

doesn't help when you only receive the tournament rules 2 weeks before the event...after uniforms have already been purchased

regards,
paul streatfield

and a fair amount of money has been spent on them, and they look nice...

I agree that both Men and Women should have the choice to wear shorts.

What I'm not sure about is what does it matter how much the shorts cost, shouldn't it be whether they fit the description of "Dress Short" as opposed to how much they cost? :confused:

hey Jo,

you are right, the cost does not have a lot to do with it

i was just getting a bit carried away whilst trying to expand on my argument that proper dress shorts have been bought, yet we are not allowed to wear them

would love it to be really hot on the day i am referring to, i wonder if there is any rule about men rolling up their trousers? surely this would look worse than proper dress shorts

regards,
paul streatfield

the main issue here is that the ruling on shorts is not consistent. seems like one day boys can wear shorts, next they cant
doesn't help when you only receive the tournament rules 2 weeks before the event...after uniforms have already been purchased

So Paul wouldn't you have thought that seeing that you were unsure of what the ruling was that you should not have purchased the shorts but inquired what the ruling was .....makes sense to me but there you go,any reason to have a go at TBA S.A. again.

Just amazes me that people dont no how to use a phone and ask relevent questions before they come on here and Bag the S..T out of people and or organisations.

Communication people.

Cheers

Paul K.

See that's the thing...

the organisers of the tournament were contacted several times, as we requested the tournament rules, registration forms etc... apparently it takes until two weeks before the tournament for this information to be produced and sent

you would think that because shorts were worn in tournaments such as the SA Cup, and that they were worn in THIS EVENT last year, that maybe...just maybe common sense would prevail

it's really not that hard to set up and implement a tournament, all it requires it a little bit of organisation

it's also not that hard to try and please people...just listen to what people would like and weigh up the pro's and con's.

let's do a survey of all the teams on the weekend and find out who would care if the guys were wearing shorts (i can type it up if it is too hard for anyone else)

eg. boys wearing shorts...

pro's: boys can be comfortable and look neat and tidy as a team (and have the same option of wearing shorts as girls do)

cons: TBA SA has to swallow a bit of pride and change one simple ruling

all in all, it appears that people are still being penalised for trying to get organised and take this sport seriously

cheers for now,
paul

p.s. that's all i will be saying on this matter

we will be wearing long trousers on the weekend, not because we want to...but because we have too

i understand there could be a meeting on the weekend in regards to this issue...lets hope it is sorted out for next years event

regards,
paul

As Max says, it's been done to death, but I think it's an interesting topic. I've only been bowling on and off for about 20 years, so I don't pretend to be an expert, but....

What is it about this sport that is so bloody 1950s? The balls and lanes have changed and the scoring and pinsetting systems have moved with the times, but there's this tendency to conservative dress standards that's stayed with us. Most bowling shoes are still the old winged style, most team shirts are the old bowling/rockabilly style (although a lot of teams/bowlers are wearing polo shirts) ... it's just what happens between our ankles and belts that seems to be causing the fuss! Be comfortable and if you've got good legs show them off proudly. Stop being so precious... It's only an upmarket game of skittles we're talking about here people! ;)

Stop being so precious... It's only an upmarket game of skittles we're talking about here people!

Herein lies the issue with the image of bowling AS A SPORT.

Now, I don't personally have a problem with dress shorts (unless your legs are like mine!), but your statement as shown above, is typical of what Joe Average thinks of our sport. If the bowlers can't think of Bowling as a proper sport, what chance have we of convincing outsiders?

What is so hard about wearing Black Trousers. Bought mine at Lowes on special for $14.95. Material Microfibre. Cool and comfartable to wear. Need cleaning, just throw them in the washing machine, hang out to dry, ready to wear in an hour. No ironing needed and I got them before the national's in 2000.
Cheers
Mick.

Ps. Blokes wearing shorts with ankle socks looks stupid anyway.

although it is a topic that has been discussed before...it is still an issue
effectively, by only letting girls wear shorts, the rule might as well say one of two things:
a) girls look better in shorts or...
b) girls get hotter than boys so they need to wear shorts in hotter weather
both of which seem quite unfair to the boys
paul streatfield

Is it fair to presumme equal oppurtunity is the issue here??

Well, how about when women get paid the same amount of prize money when they win the same tournament as the men but in their respective field??

However, i do agree with you.. but having said that once you pay your deposit and submit your team, you are basically saying you accept the rules and regulations of the tournament!! So one suggestion would be to bring it up with the tournament director, so they can pass your request onto next years host and perhaps amend the rule... but i think your point has gotten across already on this thread.

Danielle

Back
Top Bottom