avg trun out to the AO?

fizz

just wondering what has been the avg entries in say the last 5 AOs?
need stats for future post, thanks

Keep in mind that in 2006 the format for the Australian Open was not the current standard two stints of qualifying games then matchplay. It was a reentry format then best of three games knock out format for the top 32 finalists. It may be difficult to include the number of entries for this one in your statistics.

The only AO data I have is from 1993, one of about six I ran - interesting - 105 entries, paid out $20,000 - $2,500 for first [I remind you this was 15 years ago] Ian Bradford won beating top average bowler Gary Jeffery in the stepladder. The condition put down was the [then] very tough FIQ standard - 208 was top average - 9 of the final 20 averaged over the card - low average of the 20 was 185. Times have changed on the lanes - but not all that much in the payout department.

Thats interesting Steve compared to last year where the winning avg after matchplay was 247.90 for 31 games. To make the 2nd cut last year you needed a 222 avg to make the top 10, I lead avg 252 going into the final 9 games.

Got to love those carry contests :D

I know in 2006 there were 88 participants, in 2007 there were 76, this year we will be lucky to hit 60, not a good state of affairs.

Here is some participation data I recorded last year, makes for an interesting discussion

Participants 2006 Participants 2007

(first number represents 2006 figures)

Cairns Open 57 70
South Australia Cup 82 69
Canberra Open na 54
Australian Open 88 76
Arafura 39 30
K&K Classic 157 148
Melbourne Tenpin Cup 96 86
NSW Open 90 80
Mackay Tenpin Classic 54 66
South Pacific Classic 92 89
Sun City Open 66 66
Brunswick Cup 84 87

George - just to take the other angle when looking at the 1993 stats - from the National Parliamentary Library data bank the following figures relate - average Australian capital city house price in 1993 was $143,000, average first home price [capital city] $119,400, average Full Time adult yearly wage [inc overtime] gross $33,000 and $47,200 was the average household disposable income. I'm sure I don't need to detail what these same parameters are in 2007 as I think most people would see a marked difference right off the bat.

If payouts were similar then as they are now [and sure one AO does not compare as a yard stick for the overall but I have a sense of it that the payouts now are about the same as they were some 15 years ago] - then some hard questions need to be asked - and that's the easy part - the answers are tougher.

Steve

My thoughts all along Steve, here is an exert from my recent 'Whats the Score Article'

Where has the rivalry and emotion gone? I remember bowling as a junior and playing for 5c a game between friends, it wasn’t even about the money it was about making every game count for something. I noticed when I grew up that the higher the stakes the higher the emotion and passion.

The good old days where Steve Lovell’s hip thrust was something feared by most opponents, Tom Kury’s stare could make even the toughest opponents into jelly. Back in the day there was emotion, passion and excitement. Top bowlers were enemies on the lanes, best friends off the lanes. It was a dream I always had, one day I’d be the one showing emotion and being feared, I loved it!

These days, walk into the final of a national adult tournament and you’ll be hard pressed to see any bowlers show any emotion on the lanes. Why? The formats haven’t changed, what has changed over the last two decades? Let’s look it......

Maybe it’s the money, competing for $3000 for first place in 1988 was huge, when the usual weekly income was around $250 winning that sort of money was significant. Imagine bowling for $10,000 instead of $2000, would you be a little more hungry for the win? I know I would. I think you would see more emotion as that sort of money is significant and can make an immediate impact on 98% of people’s lives.

If bowling prize funds would have kept up with inflation we would be competing for $10K every month........

I guess now instead of talking about the past we should be focused on what we can do now to better the sport. I think Tony from the Bowling Show is a tremendous start, let's hope he has created a snow ball here which only continues to getter bigger and better.

G

Yes George - but LEARN from the past - don't simply discard it as old news - some of what was done then can be used now to generate better tournaments and larger prizefunds...there is no need to reinvent the wheel mate. But I agree, old blokes like me [and to a lesser extent you - still wet behind the ears you are old son] sitting down at a computer dropping back slapping emails to each other or posts on this site about the "way it was and how great it was then" helps no one. But I suggest that uncovering what has worked in the past and what might be used now should be part of the focus for today's leaders.

Steve

this might stir things up a bit but i think people should no that the AO will be bowled with a mixture of old and new pins in each deck making carry difficult in the last week or so

My thoughts all along Steve, here is an exert from my recent 'Whats the Score Article'

Where has the rivalry and emotion gone? I remember bowling as a junior and playing for 5c a game between friends, it wasn’t even about the money it was about making every game count for something. I noticed when I grew up that the higher the stakes the higher the emotion and passion.

The good old days where Steve Lovell’s hip thrust was something feared by most opponents, Tom Kury’s stare could make even the toughest opponents into jelly. Back in the day there was emotion, passion and excitement. Top bowlers were enemies on the lanes, best friends off the lanes. It was a dream I always had, one day I’d be the one showing emotion and being feared, I loved it!

These days, walk into the final of a national adult tournament and you’ll be hard pressed to see any bowlers show any emotion on the lanes. Why? The formats haven’t changed, what has changed over the last two decades? Let’s look it......

Maybe it’s the money, competing for $3000 for first place in 1988 was huge, when the usual weekly income was around $250 winning that sort of money was significant. Imagine bowling for $10,000 instead of $2000, would you be a little more hungry for the win? I know I would. I think you would see more emotion as that sort of money is significant and can make an immediate impact on 98% of people’s lives.

If bowling prize funds would have kept up with inflation we would be competing for $10K every month........

I guess now instead of talking about the past we should be focused on what we can do now to better the sport. I think Tony from the Bowling Show is a tremendous start, let's hope he has created a snow ball here which only continues to getter bigger and better.

G

Mate u are right about the money but it also another factor..these days if you show bit of emotion alot are quick to critcise...ppl think the guy is a show off..or bad sportsmans.....etc so ppl have gone into their shell and just bowl there shot and thats it..i think it is not a good thing for the game..let ppl show emotion (that is acceptable) and u will get the characters back which is good for the game.

We need the Lovells in the game!!!!!

Mate u are right about the money but it also another factor..these days if you show bit of emotion alot are quick to critcise...ppl think the guy is a show off..or bad sportsmans.....etc so ppl have gone into their shell and just bowl there shot and thats it..i think it is not a good thing for the game..let ppl show emotion (that is acceptable) and u will get the characters back which is good for the game.
We need the Lovells in the game!!!!!

I'm in 100% agreeance.

Back
Top Bottom