Aussie bowlers in Hong Kong for 22nd Asian Championships

elsie

22nd Asian Tenpin Bowling Championships

Australia’s hopes for medal glory and qualification for next year’s World Games, and WTBA World Championships rest on the shoulders of six men and six women who are now in Hong Kong to compete in the 22nd Asian Tenpin Bowling Championships.

Selected from TBA’s National Training Squad, the group will compete in a ten-day schedule of individual and team events at Hong Kong Bowling City, Emax Shopping Centre in Kowloon Bay, commencing today.

Fresh from Gold and Bronze medal wins at the 2012 World Youth Games also held in Hong Kong, Sam Cooley has returned to represent his country again on the international stage. Accompanying the Illawarra champion is a talented line-up of male and female bowlers ranging in age and experience from Victoria, Queensland, NSW and Tasmania.

Amongst them are 2007 Bowling World Cup champion, Ann Maree Putney from Newcastle and 2006 World Youth and 2008 Commonwealth Championship multi-medallist, Glen Loader from Sydney. NSW Central Coast bowler Lexi Nicoll will defend her Singles title following her Gold-medal win at the previous World Championships held in Abu Dhabi two years ago.

TBA National Coach, Chris Batson, is confident that the team will perform well. “The players have worked hard in preparation for this tournament and it’s a good mix of proven performance and emerging talent,” he said. “Korea, Malaysia, the Philippines and Hong Kong always perform well in Zone championships and with 23 countries participating it promises to be challenging and very exciting,” he added.

Scores, reports and photos will be posted daily on the Championships’ official website - www.atbc2012-hk.com or via a link from Tenpin Bowling Australia’s Events site – www.tenpinevents.com.au.

The team is accompanied by National Coach, Chris Batson and Coaches Louise Eady and Geoff Bowness. Team lineup is:-

Christian Purdue, New South Wales

Chris Castle, Victoria

Sam Cooley, New South Wales

Glen Loader, New South Wales

Brendan Meads, Queensland

Stephen Cowland, New South Wales

Rebecca Whiting, Victoria

Ann Maree Putney, New South Wales

Narelle Baker, Victoria

Bianca Flanagan, Queensland

Lexi Nicoll, New South Wales

Kaitlyn Commane, Tasmania

ends

Attachments

• Team Australia 22nd ABF Champs Sept 2012 Pic Geoff Bowness IMG_1507.jpg
    Team Australia 22nd ABF Champs Sept 2012 Pic Geoff Bowness IMG_1507.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 57
Hi lyn

World youth was in Thailand this year and also lexi won her gold medal at the last Asian Championships

Thanks for the corrections ... will amend the article before further distribution ! You're absolutely right ... I should have remembered that World Youth was BKK as it was only recently, but with Lexi's Gold I then linked Abu Dhabi to a World Champs... wasn't at either event, which makes it a little more difficult to write from afar, but do appreciate that you've noticed these errors which I can now fix. Cheers, lynne

9 BRENDAN MEADS AUS
AUS.gif
24 1230 1401 1254 1235 5120 213.33 -208

Just a note as well, the boys have comfortably qualified for the Mens World Championships next year, and the ladies are in just as strong position to qualify also. We have also qualified for the "World Games" as well. Top Effort guys and girls!!!!!!!

How can it be a top effort and well done when only one male and one female qualified for Masters and not one medal. Two of our best female bowlers (Gianotti, Baker) are not in the team. Over the years Australia has been competitive now we are overrun by Countries we beat consistently. Any one get the answer????. Dockers

How can it be a top effort and well done when only one male and one female qualified for Masters and not one medal. Two of our best female bowlers (Gianotti, Baker) are not in the team. Over the years Australia has been competitive now we are overrun by Countries we beat consistently. Any one get the answer????. Dockers

Are you kidding?!?! You do realise that most Asian countries teams are 100% funded by their government, whilst our teams are self funded. I think they've done an exceptional job over there & deserve praise, they've qualified for worlds as well. It's not easy competing against those countries that pour $$$ into their national teams. When was the last time you represented our country overseas????

^Couldn't agree more. Our Aussie reps have worked hard for these opportunities and we shouldn't post anything negative unless of course you can prove that you can do better. Fact is they're out there competing against countries who have more numbers in every major event and the fact that they've qualified for the world championships and world games is always a big accomplishment. Well done and don't pay attention to any harsh critics.

AMP 14th, Brendan 16th in Masters. Competing against state sponsored full time athletes and multi-million dollar national budgets. How good would we be if our bowlers had the same opportunities? Sport is no different from anything else in life - better money & resources = better results. The fact that there is such a wide disparity in the adult bumper bowling conditions that are the norm in Australia and the sport shots we have to compete on overseas doesn't help either - bowlers are products of their environments to a great extent.
Good effort, and well done on qualifying for Worlds.

Dockers, normally i would see those kind of statements and ignore it, however, i feel you need to be put in your place.

Now, since you made the point to bring up Gio and Baker, allow me to explain to you how this team was put together (since you clearly have no idea). In 2011, TBA introduced the NTS (National Training Squad) to fall in line with most (if not all) major bowling countries. There was a specific "Skills Test" that all bowlers were required to pass. This included shooting at both corner pins, and a variety of spare combinations, as well as being able to hit a confident "pocket shot" on both Short AND Long lane conditions. The MINIMUM pass mark for this was 70% in ALL AREAS!

From all of the bowlers across the country who passed this test, TBA, along with the National Coach selected its pool of players in the Adult, Youth and Junior divisions. From this pool, and this pool only, is where ALL of our nationals teams are selected. Now, i know that Carol did not apply for this squad for her own personal reasons, and unsure about baker.

ALL members of this "pool" of players, attend throughout the year, a number of training camps in conjunction with nationals tournaments. This allows the national coach to track progress, find room for improvement etc. The coach then takes into consideration the dedication the players have, the effort in training, how well they have progressed, their ability to take advice from the coach, and most importantly, their tournament results over a period of time and on a variety of different conditions.

This years team was selected at the conclusion of the Australian Open/VIC 150 Tournaments in April. This gave the team members a total of approx. 4 months to come up with the money to pay for THEMSELVES to go overseas and represent their country. As the others above me have stated, Countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Korea etc, have their governments pour hundreds of thousands, if not, millions of dollars into their bowling programs, we are not as lucky in Australia as we have many more sports where we have teams right at the top (cricket, soccer, rugby etc). So for these guys to be selected firstly is an achievement in itself as they have shown enough talent and persistence in the coaches eyes, as well as TBA to even be selected, then the hours of training come in, the costs to not only get to tournaments and compete, but also take the extra day off work as well (more lost income) for the training camps, then fundraise the money and save what they can to be able to afford to go away and represent their country, and THEN, take the 2 weeks off from work to be able to go, AND THEN, after not only qualifying for the World Championships in BOTH divisions, they ALSO qualify for the World Games AND have 2 members of the team qualify for the masters in fields stacked with people who do nothing but bowl 7 days a week for 6 hours + a day, have YOU say its not a good effort?

Please excuse my ignorance, but it sounds to me that you can do better, so here's a challenge for you, and im sure many people here would say the same thing to you. DOCKERS, make the effort to sign up to try out for the NTS this year. Go and complete your skills test (if you can), then make it into the squad, attend the number of tournaments these players go to (on average id say 5/8 per year), get selected for the World Championship team and the World Games team, find the money to go and get the time off work losing yourself as much money as these guys, and then get to the Worlds, and bowl well enough to make the masters final (you better collect yourself a medal or 2 on the way there as well since these guys didnt do well enough), and since its disgraceful for only one male and one female to make the masters cut, you should coach the team as well, since you must be that good!

You remind me of someone i keep reading about on Facebook, who continuously sends threatening letters to a young girl saying she isnt good enough to compete. I think the term being used in EVERY comment about this girl is "Tall Poppy Syndrome".

Just take a step back, and look at what this team has achieved. Be proud that they represented their country with pride, and did the job they set out to do, and that was to qualify for the World Championships.

Oh, and one more thing, just in case you dont know who i am, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Matt Watson. And i'm D*** proud of what these guys have achieved and proud to be a friend to everyone of them.

I would just like to say that all that has gone to Hong Kong they have done a great job and deserve to be congratulated. A job well done to qualify for worlds.

Ms. Dockery...

While I respect your acheivements on the lanes, which has been recognised by becoming a Hall of Fame member and representing your country in this sport, your comments, I do beleive, are out of line.

A lot of things have changed in this sport from the "Black rubber ball up 10 with a full roller" days.

All the ladies and gentlemen in our National teams, as has been said before, have to fund these trips themselves, and have limited training facilities. When you sit back and look at the other Asian countries and see the funding that they receive, it's surprising how good we actually do these days.

Couldn't ag
Dockers, normally i would see those kind of statements and ignore it, however, i feel you need to be put in your place.

Now, since you made the point to bring up Gio and Baker, allow me to explain to you how this team was put together (since you clearly have no idea). In 2011, TBA introduced the NTS (National Training Squad) to fall in line with most (if not all) major bowling countries. There was a specific "Skills Test" that all bowlers were required to pass. This included shooting at both corner pins, and a variety of spare combinations, as well as being able to hit a confident "pocket shot" on both Short AND Long lane conditions. The MINIMUM pass mark for this was 70% in ALL AREAS!

From all of the bowlers across the country who passed this test, TBA, along with the National Coach selected its pool of players in the Adult, Youth and Junior divisions. From this pool, and this pool only, is where ALL of our nationals teams are selected. Now, i know that Carol did not apply for this squad for her own personal reasons, and unsure about baker.

ALL members of this "pool" of players, attend throughout the year, a number of training camps in conjunction with nationals tournaments. This allows the national coach to track progress, find room for improvement etc. The coach then takes into consideration the dedication the players have, the effort in training, how well they have progressed, their ability to take advice from the coach, and most importantly, their tournament results over a period of time and on a variety of different conditions.

This years team was selected at the conclusion of the Australian Open/VIC 150 Tournaments in April. This gave the team members a total of approx. 4 months to come up with the money to pay for THEMSELVES to go overseas and represent their country. As the others above me have stated, Countries like Singapore, Malaysia, Korea etc, have their governments pour hundreds of thousands, if not, millions of dollars into their bowling programs, we are not as lucky in Australia as we have many more sports where we have teams right at the top (cricket, soccer, rugby etc). So for these guys to be selected firstly is an achievement in itself as they have shown enough talent and persistence in the coaches eyes, as well as TBA to even be selected, then the hours of training come in, the costs to not only get to tournaments and compete, but also take the extra day off work as well (more lost income) for the training camps, then fundraise the money and save what they can to be able to afford to go away and represent their country, and THEN, take the 2 weeks off from work to be able to go, AND THEN, after not only qualifying for the World Championships in BOTH divisions, they ALSO qualify for the World Games AND have 2 members of the team qualify for the masters in fields stacked with people who do nothing but bowl 7 days a week for 6 hours + a day, have YOU say its not a good effort?

Please excuse my ignorance, but it sounds to me that you can do better, so here's a challenge for you, and im sure many people here would say the same thing to you. DOCKERS, make the effort to sign up to try out for the NTS this year. Go and complete your skills test (if you can), then make it into the squad, attend the number of tournaments these players go to (on average id say 5/8 per year), get selected for the World Championship team and the World Games team, find the money to go and get the time off work losing yourself as much money as these guys, and then get to the Worlds, and bowl well enough to make the masters final (you better collect yourself a medal or 2 on the way there as well since these guys didnt do well enough), and since its disgraceful for only one male and one female to make the masters cut, you should coach the team as well, since you must be that good!

You remind me of someone i keep reading about on Facebook, who continuously sends threatening letters to a young girl saying she isnt good enough to compete. I think the term being used in EVERY comment about this girl is "Tall Poppy Syndrome".

Just take a step back, and look at what this team has achieved. Be proud that they represented their country with pride, and did the job they set out to do, and that was to qualify for the World Championships.

Oh, and one more thing, just in case you dont know who i am, allow me to introduce myself.

My name is Matt Watson. And i'm D*** proud of what these guys have achieved and proud to be a friend to everyone of them.

Couldn't agree more. If the people on this forum really think that we haven't accomplished anything over here then please complete the tryout tests, make the squad and get picked, not to mention that to stay in the squad you HAVE to travel for the NTS squads as well as compete in the Adult Ranked events. Until they do so keep your lip zipped!!!!

I cannot begin to list the sacrifices we've all made to accomplish the goals of qualifying for Vegas and Colombia, knowing full well that the other Asian Zone countries have everything paid for. Countries like Malaysia, Korea and Singapore do this as their job, full time or not. That's because they have so much funding they can just bowl every single day, hence why they keep winning a majority of the medals.

Well said Sammy.

Not going to make any negative comments about the above, but to add to what Sam has said. I have bowled against Brendan Meads a long time before he reached the level he has reached now. He used to bowl in every tournament he could against bowlers that at the time were a lot more experienced. He has come unbeleivable bounds from where he was 6-7 years ago. Any bowler that represents Australia their country should be commended not critisized. I have bowled against many of the bowlers that bowled when I was younger. The reason they are where they are and I am not. Is because of their dedication, talent and hardwork over many years.

To those who have competed,supported and followed the Asian Champs. Well done!

To those who can't make a positive contribution to support our talented aspiring bowlers. You have no place in our bowling community.

Back
Top Bottom