ATBC 300 gold ring

SandTherapy

Hi bowling fans,

I haven’t done any tenpin bowling for many years, but I have a question that some of the forum members might find interesting.

One of my hobbies is beach metal detecting and learning about some of the interesting items that are found.

Recently, I found a gold ring that could be related to tenpin bowling.

I hope an older forum member could confirm this and possibly help to identify the original owner.

My guess is that was lost sometime around the mid 70’s.

Best Regards
ST

Attachments

• 300_Ring.png
    300_Ring.png
    331 KB · Views: 68
  • Finds_20190114.png
    Finds_20190114.png
    395.3 KB · Views: 62
Very interesting - thank you for the information - some questions if I may please.

1. A 300 ring - from the 70's - is a rare thing indeed. Can you advise why you think it came from that period of time? My recollection [and I may be wrong, memory fading - and fast] is that there were never any dates inscribed from the ATBC office on rings of this nature - of course a private inscription could have been added later.

2. Where did you find it - no need to be too specific - don't want to give-away your "mining" locations - but somewhere in a general sense would be helpful.

3. The design of the ring changed over a period - perhaps this is why you think the 1970's may be this rings particular period - I need to do a little more research on different designs. Of course as those that were responsible for awards in the past age or indeed, inevitably pass away - refining this may take a while.

Nice work, and good luck with your explorations.

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

Your memory is still good, unfortunately there is no date recorded on the ring.

I found the ring in the water at a Melbourne beach.

My guess dating it to the 70's is based on other items found in the same location. Close to the ring was the bangle (inscription has a date of 1974) along with a '53 florin and a couple of pennies.

I haven't been able to find any examples of 300 rings to compare with for a more accurate date. Any information you could find would be very much appreciated.

Regards
ST

Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

Your memory is still good, unfortunately there is no date recorded on the ring.

I found the ring in the water at a Melbourne beach.

My guess dating it to the 70's is based on other items found in the same location. Close to the ring was the bangle (inscription has a date of 1974) along with a '53 florin and a couple of pennies.

I haven't been able to find any examples of 300 rings to compare with for a more accurate date. Any information you could find would be very much appreciated.

Regards
ST

ST - assuming it was a local there were just 9 x 300's bowled in Melbourne centres [1 at Colac too] between 1964 Bob Hinton and the last 1978 [the last of the 70's] Jamie Eastwood at Squash Bowl. I'll do some digging - however of the 9 I know of 2 who have passed away and 3 I would struggle to find. We'll see how we go.

Cheers....S

One thing to add - generally speaking score award rings were purchasable - they were not a "gift" - so that would narrow the field a little if we still had historical records to refer to. Sadly however at one time in the past much of the history of the sport was dumped - I have no idea what went and what still remains as I was not with the ATBC, rather living in Asia, when the clean out was undertaken. We should of course reflect on those people who made that decision based on, I can only assume, momentary logistical relief rather than what I would say should have been obligatory and essential historical record keeping.

Mind you 20-20 hindsight is a wonderful thing!

One more thing - there will be a lot of "one more things" I should imagine as we dig further - watches were an ATBC gift for honour scores like a 300 game - I spoke to the man that used to buy them. But his memory - like many from that time [mine included] is fading - and he can't recall if the rings were given as an alternative to the watch or if they were a purchasable option/addition - or if they [the rings] were even available in the 70's?

I asked him too about the missing historical records - his response is unprintable!

More as it comes.

Thanks ST for this little exercise in stretching the old cells - it sure beats watching the cricket!

Steve

You have already made a great start there Steve.

A list of nine people raises my hopes to find the owner. It also gives me an appreciation of the rarity of the award and the sentimental value of the ring.

I came across an interesting article in the Canberra Times (23 Aug 1972).
From the wording of the article it appears the rings at that time were awarded for free by the ATBC.

It really is a shame that records have been thrown out. The loss only grows as time goes on.

I'm glad you are finding enjoyment taking on this task, as I have reading what you have come up with.

ST

Interesting ST the reflection of the Castle King Pins was a trip down memory lane I remember seeing them at Mentone way back whenever - as for the ring, not sure yours is the gold with onyx - can you advise if there is an onyx stone anywhere or at least a sign that it may have been there? I think, and as I say don't hold me to this - the ring you have was an optional ring - to buy if wanted. I have a few additional irons in the fire and waiting on return advice - so will see what they say.
Cheers
Steve

Definitely doesn’t have any room for onyx on the ring Steve.

I imagine the ring may have had black resin around the lettering, and this has fallen out over time or during the cleaning process.

If the ring was a purchase, I hope it doesn’t reduce the odds of finding the owner.
Were the rings available for anyone to purchase, or would you have to be the actual person who achieved the 300 game?

Regards

ST

ST, Certainly in the early years the honour score rings were only available to someone who earned them by bowling the score - but I couldn't say what happened after the ATBC was folded and it's name changed and records destroyed sometime in the late 90's I think this was, but don't quote me as I was not around at that time.

I think we have a final outcome here - it's unhelpful in your search but it appears initially Onyx rings and a Chevron were awarded, then given the difficulty of sizing the ring to individuals each time it was required to be awarded - watches replaced the Onyx ring. Then the ring - the one you have - was created so it could be made available to those that wanted to buy it - the sizing was resolved by using a movable finger slot - you have one of those rings. This appears to be what happened - at least so the information I have obtained from those who were involved at the time indicates...but memories are fading as I have said before.

I am hoping that someone out there reading this may know one of the bowlers in any city or state that bowled 300 in the 1960-70 period and can confirm they purchased a ring - the type as depicted in the picture you provided in your initial post above.

If we can get that then we can probably start doing the tracing back at least with those people who we can still find from the period.

Cheers for now
Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for all the effort you have put in.

After 40+ years I knew the odds of finding the owner would not be good.

Just a small detail, I should have mentioned, the band on the ring is actually broken.
It happens frequently on 9ct rings that have spent decades in seawater.
Being made of 62.5% metal that corrodes in seawater causes them to become brittle. Sorry the picture is a bit misleading and does give the appearance of an adjustable ring.

There’s still a chance at finding the owner. Going to put this search on the backburner for a while and do some further searching as time permits in the future. Hopefully, someone may come across this post who can identify the owner. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Steve, your posts were very helpful and interesting to read.
Best wishes,

ST

OK that's interesting ST because one of those I had information from thought he may have the answer - and he was around then and involved in the awards program, remembered [he thought he did] the adjustable element - still as I say, memories are now playing tricks on most of us from that time.

I understand in Melbourne next Sunday there may be a social event that might attract one or two 300 bowlers from the 70's - let me see what we can uncover from that if I have my information correct about the get together - I won't be there as I now live outside of Perth but I'll have a friend do some asking for us.

Happy hunting in the mean time, cheers

Steve

Hello Kathy - great to hear from you - however are you saying every bowler on the lists received a 300 ring ["of all the Gold rings achieved from 1963"]? How many types of rings were given out - I know of at least 3 styles that were available? Did any of these bowlers receive a watch either as well as, or instead of a ring - additionally did each honour score bowler receive a chevron.

Clarification would be helpful if records permit [I doubt it though] - so thank you in advance and I well understand the limited information you have access to - so what you have already provided is excellent [despite it's limitations]

Oh and there is a necessary correction - well more of an addition really for the sake of accuracy - the qualification that every honour score was bowled in a sanctioned league or tournament is correct - but what also needs to be added [until the qualification was eliminated - if it has been] is something like "on certified lanes using legal bowling pins".

John Middleton had a 300 game award rejected at [I think] Dandenong Bowl [the first Dandenong Bowl, not the second or possibly Frankston again the first one - at the then Dennis Hotel, not the second Frankston Bowl] because the pins on the pair used did not comply.

I think [memory fading - and fast] this was 1964.

Back
Top Bottom