Association Challenge 2010

cindyd

cindyd
Garden City Lanes Tenpin Assocation and the bowlers from Garden City Lanes would like to say how disgusted we are in the way the team for this year came about. Garden City has been with the Challenge from the start and now have been tossed to the side with no say at all in how things are done. Biggest mistake was asking the other centre here to join with us for the challenge. Everbody knows the 2 centres have never got along not from lack of trying on our side. They had a new assocation bought in this year and i thought great maybe we can start working towards changing this ""what a mistake that was".
After taking over everything and setting a date for roll off without even dicussing this with centre or assocation it turned out date was impossible for Garden City and bowlers to make arrangements for time off work to do this a meeting was held between the 2 assocations and an agreement was made to put in half the team each from both centres and we would work towards doing it the other way next year " next mistake not getting anything in writing".
Next thing we know they intend to go ahead with roll off date without telling Garden City finally get hold of the Assocation Commitee the day before roll offs and was told they denied having the meeting and bottom line we are lying and there not. Next thing there is a second roll off still not informed of this and was suppose to be end of Jan was held first week in Jan and because we didnt do first one not intitled to do second one. Even had a hint from one of the commitee members that this was wrong but still no help. When commitee was asked to help sort this out we got no help only told that they told the other centre there would have to be a roll off in both centres. Still couldn't do the right thing??.
I know alot of people don;t care about the bickering between the centres but Garden City should not have had the running off this event taken away from them and given to another assocation. Which by the way nobody has answered my question why this was done yet.
Shame on the Assocation that did this and Shame on the commitee for allowing it. Our bowlers have rights to.
If being in the team means that much to you considering most of the team is the assocation members you can have it if you have to stoop that low.
Cindy Donnelly
Garden City Lanes Tenpin Bowling Assocation.

I would have figured, the most reasonable selection of a team from both centres would be a roll off over two days, bowling 6-8 games at each centre. The top 6 or 7 bowlers in pinfall would make the team.

Perhaps for future years, both centres should set out a written policy stating that roll offs will be conducted on the last weekend of January with x amount of games being bowled at one centre on the saturday and the other on the Sunday. That way every year the bowlers from both centres will know when roll offs will take place and this sort of incident won't occur again.

I can't speak for last year or two (don't know as many from Toowoomba as I used to), but I always thought it was sad that politics like this has stopped Toowoomba putting their best united team on the lane.

No disrespect to any of the bowlers who have represented Toowoomba but being brutally honest, I wonder what there results could have been over the past 10 years had the best team from both centres been in the team....

I think its disgraceful that no bowlers from Garden City Lanes were informed of the TOOWOOMBA TEAM'S rolloffs by the Sunset Superbowl Association, not that it is in anyway their sole choice of when this is to be held (although they think so)... It is quite obvious that NOBODY from that association has the respect of all Toowoomba bowlers (other than just themselves), so when is the commitee of the Association Challenge going to step in and help resolve this issue.

One would think that a rolloff one day at Garden City, and one day at Sunset to make the team would make sense. Or that half the team from Garden City and half a team from Sunset would be fair also. But NO, that didnt suit them either!! Garden City Lanes has attempted to enter their half of a team to the running commitee of the challenge (as per an agreement made with the comitee of sunset), and Sunset attempted to enter theirs (however a full team).. Apparently only the sunset team has been accepted.. How is that fair??? And who decides that???

Bowlers from Garden City Lanes demand answers to why their part of the team has been declined by the challenge commitee.

Any answers would be appreciated.
Hayley and Ben Taylor

Firstly, the Association Challenge doesnt have a committee.
There is a meeting of delegates from each Association and that meeting is held usually on the Monday to discuss general business.
The delegates are usually different each year depending on who happens to be in town at the time.
My advice would be to contact Errol and state your case to him. The invitations for 2010 have not yet been sent out so you could also contact this years TD who is Morty Douglas and advise him that you are discussing the matter with Errol.
The Toowoomba situation needs to be resolved and resolved fairly. I know Errol doesnt like interfering in Local politics but in this case he may need to.

I think its disgraceful that no bowlers from Garden City Lanes were informed of the TOOWOOMBA TEAM'S rolloffs by the Sunset Superbowl Association, not that it is in anyway their sole choice of when this is to be held (although they think so)... It is quite obvious that NOBODY from that association has the respect of all Toowoomba bowlers (other than just themselves), so when is the commitee of the Association Challenge going to step in and help resolve this issue.

One would think that a rolloff one day at Garden City, and one day at Sunset to make the team would make sense. Or that half the team from Garden City and half a team from Sunset would be fair also. But NO, that didnt suit them either!! Garden City Lanes has attempted to enter their half of a team to the running commitee of the challenge (as per an agreement made with the comitee of sunset), and Sunset attempted to enter theirs (however a full team).. Apparently only the sunset team has been accepted.. How is that fair??? And who decides that???

Bowlers from Garden City Lanes demand answers to why their part of the team has been declined by the challenge commitee.

Any answers would be appreciated.
Hayley and Ben Taylor

same thing happens down here in vic hayley

we have questioned it and the TBA doesn't see any problems with it

2 bowl town, one can have the privillage of representing at country cup, the other cant, both under the TBA banner, and of course, the TBA takes the same money from either side, even though it endorses favouring one side better, by letting it have a service the other one is not welcome to

i just sit and shake my head, i hope you get a better result than we did

Firstly, thanks for the response Andrew and Craig... very appreciated.

It is however unfortunate to say that Errol has been contacted regarding the matter and refuses to help at all... In fact, we were even told about speaking to someone else on the so called "commitee"... who was then told by Errol that no they are going ahead with the team sunset has put in and that was that.

Upon questioning why we were told that, we were told it was because they held the two rolloffs and it was our fault for not taking part in it... However a bit hard to when Garden City Lanes bowlers were not even notified of the first rolloff til 2 weeks before (and only because they attempted to book lanes to find out we were booked out already).. A meeting was then held between two members of sunset assoc and a member of garden city assoc.. thats where it was agreed on taking half a team each.. The meeting finished and everyone left, the bowlers from the other centre apparently did not like the agreement, so once again it changed (by their choice).. and the rolloff was back on.. didnt find out til 3 days prior to it happening, too late for those who have work or children. When we mentioned that to Errol we were told that they couldnt cancel that rolloff because some of those bowlers had already organised baby sitters.. We then didnt even find out about the second rolloff til the day before it was happening.. although conveniently for them we couldnt partake as we hadnt been in the first.

Garden City Lanes has been taking part in the Association Challenge tournament under the team name Toowoomba since either when it began or just after (close to 18 years i think).... sunset hasnt even been opened that long yet they now suddenly have the rights to it.....and no one is helping Garden City Lanes even get one of their bowlers in it?? It is not fair!

I refuse to let this settle... because it is clearly not right and not fair... any help from anyone to help get this sorted would be greatly appreciated also :)

We too are bowlers who wish to represent our town/city, its not right that we suddenly have no rights in doing so.

Hayley

this sounds like an extremely difficult situation. i find it difficult to believe such an event does not have an event committee. who is then responsible for the running of this event?

i wanted to take part for the gold coast but circumstances and poor communication prevented, wont go further as posts have been removed and i have been bullied also.

maybe the TBAQ need to weigh into your situation and help to mediate in my opinion in an endeavour to find a resolution. i feel for your sitch and hopefully some good will come of it.

all the best.

Hi doesn't look like we are going to get any help with this i think they think if they ignore us we will go away. Well sorry that isn't going to happen!!!.
They need to do something otherwise Toowoomba will be at Kingaroy with 1 and a Half teams then what will happen.
Cindy Donnelly
Garden City Lanes assocation.

Can I firstly say that the Annual Association challenge Event is one of the best team events in this country and all associations have always worked hard to keep the event running as smoothly as possible. There has been an on going situation in Toowoomba for many years with only one answer to it, a roll off in each centre with plenty of notification to all local bowlers who want to roll off as they do in Brisbane and Gold Coast and any other associations with more than one centre. The roll offs have happened and I dont think that it can be changed, if Garden City Lanes was to turn up with a half a team and start to cause problems on the weekend of the event, it will only go to prove that the association spot for Toowoomba will be up for serious discussion as there are reserve associations in place and have been waiting to gain entry into this event for a very long time. Communication is the key, please look forward and think of the bowlers and leave the politics out of it.

Thats my say.

Brian Bates

Brian is not our intention to cause trouble as you said this is a great event and we should have had a fairer chance of bowling in this instead of being left out of all decisions about roll offs etc they even have next years roll off date on there site yet again no asking our assocation if this is ok. About Toowoomba being replaced Errol said why didnt we say something earlier about the things that where happening and my reply was we have been threatened for years if the we bought up about the problems we where told we would be taken out and he said that never would have happened now we get told ? If i had known that years ago they would never have been allowed to muscle in on us. Not all places have roll offs.
The thing is there was a new assocation at Sunset it was decided and agreed by both parties that this year we would put in half team each then work towards doing things together in 2011 .
Put yourself in our shoes and see how you would feel as an assocation.
They just can't be fair and do things the way they should.
Cindy.

Cindy is there anyone in Toowoomba that could be approached to be a co-ordinator for this event?
Surely both Associations could agree on a neutral person whose sole job would be to organise and co-ordinate selection?
It doesnt take a committee to organise a roll-off which could be run in both Centres as previously suggested, or even run on a rotational basis, Sunset one year and Garden City the next.

Thanks Andrew i don't know who could do it thats why i thought the idea of them putting in half the team and us putting in half was a great idea it was when i said our 4 top male 200 ave bowlers i think the assoc members got scared as they finished low in there roll off that maybe if there 3 top guys got in that they would never be able to make the team again but isn't the idea of putting the best team the way to go. They have alot more ladies bowling the we do thats why we said 4 guys from us and 3 from them and 4 ladies from them and 3 from us and then swap it around next year. The idea of a great combined Toowoomba team.
Cindy

Firstly can I say I don't think it is right that this has been made public, I can understand you want answers but I don't believe this is the correct way to go about it.

I think that a roll off between the two centres is the fairest way possible for a team to be decided. Yes having half a team from Garden City and half from Sunset sounds like a good idea but you are still not guaranteed of taking away the best team.

For this year, maybe things should just be left how they have panned out and instead of trying to get it changed for this year, start working now on fixing the process for next year. Both centres need to come to some sort of agreement because the politics are getting way out of control and I know a lot of bowlers who just couldn't be bothered to get involved because of all the crap that goes on.

Representing your city is a great honour and everyone from both centres should be given an equal opportunity to at least try and qualify for their team.

Like someone else said, there are other associations on a waiting list and if a solution can't be found then maybe it would be in the best interests of everyone if Toowoomba was taken out of the challenge. That might be the thing that points everyone in the right direction.

Hopefully this will get sorted out in the near future.

I'm not sure who wrote this as it wasn't signed but how can you doubt that you wouldn't have the best team if you took 7 from each centre with the highest averages??.
Cindy

It would be a good team but not necessarily the best. The way I understand your idea is that you would have the top 4 averaged males from garden city and then the top 3 averages from sunset and then the other way around for the ladies. But you wouldnt have the best team if all 7 men from sunset had higher averages than the 4 highest averaged players that you have from Garden City. Or what if there was 4 people who had the same average and there was only 2 spots left?
It would just be simpler if there was a roll off.

I seen the sunset averages there not great we could put 7 men in with high averages if we had to we have the talent her to do that.
cindy.

Hi Guys,

I have been Watching with Interest this Thread and While I am not sure What has transpired you are now faced with a Difficult situation. What I would comment on is the only fair way is to roll of in each center. AVERAGES Alone are no longer an accurate means of accessing across centers. Centers Everywhere have players Averaging 215 or 220 plus on easy conditions. I think trying to select a team based on average could also promote each center to try and out do each other with high scoring conditions once again causing issues that might be just as difficult to over come. While I do not have an answer for this year. I do believe that the Toowoomba Region needs to have one day in Sunset and one Day Garden city on Dates that Suit everyone. Surely if Arranged Early enough this could be possible.

As Andrew Mention perhaps a Co-ordinator to arrange the Roll off and to Over see that both Associations are Looked After.. Association Challenge is A great event that everyone should have the opportunity to bowl.

Now Because I don't like point out issues and not provide a possible solution. If you can not find a person to assist with arranging your roll off and Working between the two centers I will put my hand up to assist. As the Association Challenge is two great of an event to have this type of poor communication. Now while this dose not resolve this issue this year. If you need some help and a neutral person Let me know.

Hi Morty sounds good thanks for the offer as you said it needs to have both assoc making roll off dates etc not just one doing it without meeting and discusing this like the date for next year being posted already on there site wtf. Don't know if it will ever happen with current assocation members and staff and partners as its an ongoing lets bag Garden City.
Cindy

I don't think that you have looked at all the averages from sunset because there are quite a few guys out there with some very respectable averages. Your comment came over quite harsh.

I also forgot to mention in my first post that Sunset bowlers had the same amount of notice as those bowlers from Garden City about the date and location for the roll offs so both centres were on equal footing there.

That is the last I will say on the matter.
Once again I hope that this situation gets sorted out soon.

Back
Top Bottom