Ashes to Ashes

Fantastic finish to what was generally a pretty ordinary match really as far as a contest was concerned.
As good as the Australian bowling was today, England really choked and threw it away with some appauling batting at times, throwing away their wickets cheaply.
Australia showed that the pitch wasn't that bad when they came out in the final session to knock off the 168 required relatively easily in the finish, but also could've made a mess of it with some reckless shots (See: Damian Martyn)
The big break in Australia's second Innings being after Flintoff had bowled 5 dot-balls in a row during a particularly tight part of the Innings, Clarke taking 3 off Freddie's last ball of the over, Pietersen getting a rush of blood and pelting it to the keeper, who missed it and it went to the boundary and it ended up a 7 - can't say I ever seen a 7 before :p
That took the pressure right off Australia and away they went from there.
Would've been interesting to see how Australia would've handled Monty Panasar rather than 'Wheelie Bin' Giles.

Good aggressive cricket from Australia - they wanted it badly, exerted the pressure, Poms wilted, and got the result.

As soon as the pom's openers were gone, they started playing defensive cricket(playing for the glorious draw, what stupidity).they were gone. If they had played aggresive, they could have maybe declared with 40 - 50 overs to go and tried for the win, but no, pom's seem to think of a draw being as good as a win, ie not losing. All credit to the aussies for making them play / think that way.

The poms only need a drawn series to win the Ashes back. This is why they probably have the 'hope for a draw' mentality. Tho if they wanted it that badly, they should have kept going in the first innings to force the nails in.

CMON AUSSIE CMON, CMON!

I went on the first and third days - it was the most boring 12 hours of sport I have ever been to.

Firstly, day 1, why the go-slow with the bat? A PERFECT batting wicket, the Poms should have had 350 or more at stumps, then REALLY applied the pressure on day 2. They could have and SHOULD have declared when they did, but with 700 runs.

Then today..........what was that idiot Collingwood doing going at that pace? Again, the timing of when Australia went in was perfect, but if Collingwood had any balls, we would have been chasing 220, and that may have made all the difference - giving their bowlers something to attack. AND, what about the idiot Pommy captain?????? You have a pitch that has more cracks in it than a bowler can dream about, and Flintoff brings out the heavy roller - duh !!!!!!

The motto of English sport "let's invent another game so we can fail at it".

The moral of the story is, just like in anything, think negative, you'll play negative thus what happened in the 5th day. England was out classed by the mind games Australia has over the rest of the world. Warnie, Warnie, what a true legend and just love to watch this man in action.

yeah what a game... Aussies should win now that they owned England for ther ****e performance...

I'm playing Tonkapom right now...

640m and still tonking.

Wayne.

Don't know if anybody noticed but i think ol Freddie Flintoff had a few crocodile tears flowin' when England were about to lose. Warnie had them beat before before the start of the last day.

Damien Martyn announces his retirement from all forms of cricket after it was expected he'd be dropped for the 3rd Test in Perth after scoring just 35 runs in three innings during the Ashes series so far.

Article Here

All my fav poms are playing the beach cricket (Hick and Ramps!!!) Are channel 10 putting that on?

Liliac Hill festival match is a crack up so far, Hi score for England, Alec Stewart!!! 69, bb for the aussie team, Chris Matthews 3/31(has he finally worked out his run up after all these years)

Damien Martyn announces his retirement from all forms of cricket after it was expected he'd be dropped for the 3rd Test in Perth after scoring just 35 runs in three innings during the Ashes series so far.
Article Here
in one aspect he was a good cricketer, but like half the team i think they going a little longer than they should.

my biggest concern is will it be like the 80's (ooppss maybe before a lot here lol) when chapple,marsh and lillee all quit at the same time, we went from good to crap

.my biggest concern is will it be like the 80's (ooppss maybe before a lot here lol) when chapple,marsh and lillee all quit at the same time, we went from good to crap

The only concern is if we lose to many batsmen at once... we have the bowlers to last us a fair while...

But its our batting line-up thats the concern... Like Ponting, Hayden, Langer, Gilchrist, Martin (hehe beat me 2 it) are all mid 30's...

Have fun
Wayne

Back
Top Bottom