Andrew Johns, Drug Addict

timmyg13

Tim Gregory
BREAKING NEWS ON ANDREW JOHNS.

Ninemsn.com.au

Rugby league legend Andrew Johns says he took drugs throughout his stellar playing career in a desperate attempt to escape the pressures associated with being one of the game's greatest ever players.

In an intense interview on The Footy Show, Johns revealed that he played the biggest games in his career with the thought of taking drugs racing through his mind and how he would play Russian roulette with drug testers.

His drug use came to light after he was arrested in London on Sunday afternoon with an ecstasy tablet in his pocket, spending six hours in a jail cell in an episode Johns described as the scariest of his life

Johns, who retired in April this year after suffering the second serious neck injury of his career in a training mishap, stood by his initial claim that the pill was put in his pocket by a complete stranger as he left The Church nightclub in London.

But Johns said he knew what the drug was as he had used it many times before, including throughout a brilliant playing career that had many labelling him the best to ever pull on a boot.

"Probably ten years I've taken it on and off," Johns said in an interview with his former NSW coach Phil Gould.

"Generally during the off season but there's times when during the season I've run the gauntlet and played Russian roulette and taken it.

"I wouldn't say I was in drug dependency, I'd do it occasionally .. it was more in the off season when I'd do it.

"I was about 19, 20, 21 when I first taken it (sic).

"To be honest I used it to escape all the pressure and stuff.

"It's not all black and white, there's other areas too, there's medical reasons that contribute to my reckless behaviour but I don't want to make excuses."

BUGGER ME another footballer with a drug problem I am shocked who would have thought a bunch of brain dead neandertrhal's would have drug problems. :mad: Are they going to strip all the titles from him that he has got over the years. Why not they do it to other codes of sport should the thick necks be except. I know I will be shot down in flames for my comments but if the shoe was on the other foot and someone in our sport used drugs and they won against you would you want them stripped of the title? :mad:

Did anyone see the interview between Phil Gould and Andrew Johns on the footy show last night? I think s**t is going to hit the wall but as far as joey goes, I guess you have to make the mistake to learn from it

BUGGER ME another footballer with a drug problem I am shocked who would have thought a bunch of brain dead neandertrhal's would have drug problems. :mad: Are they going to strip all the titles from him that he has got over the years. Why not they do it to other codes of sport should the thick necks be except. I know I will be shot down in flames for my comments but if the shoe was on the other foot and someone in our sport used drugs and they won against you would you want them stripped of the title? :mad:

In fairness to the guy they were recreational drugs, not performance enhancing. In fact, it's amazing that he managed to play as well as he did considering he obviously has major issues.

It's even more amazing he wasn't caught. Not only through the ASADA processes, but also just by being seen doing it.. in clubs and stuff. People know who he is and it wouldn't be hard to spot someone slipping him something.......

Have you noticed that the words ROLE MODEL are not used now a days. Wonder why,

Sorry to all the joey fans but, what is the difference - he took drugs, he is a drug addict. blame it on depression etc, others have depression but don't do drugs.

so what-
Hey son this is "the" guy to look up to - great role model - great dope head.

Have you noticed that the words ROLE MODEL are not used now a days. Wonder why,
Sorry to all the joey fans but, what is the difference - he took drugs, he is a drug addict. blame it on depression etc, others have depression but don't do drugs.
so what-
Hey son this is "the" guy to look up to - great role model - great dope head.

Hang on a second the bloke has given his all in every football match he has played who gives a s**t if he has popped a few eccies in his time or done drugs. for christ sake the bloke is the best football player of all time. drugs or no drugs the bloke is still a champion. some people need to lighten up and chill out. we have all made mistakes in life as I am sure u have were we hung over it NOPE so why hang joey over this. And dont give me the ROLE MODEL crap because he is just a regular human being with a talent

I don't care I still think he is Hot..:romp_69l:

We all make mistakes in life, some are just bigger than others, takes a bigger person to admit to there mistakes.

Ok- Just where do you draw the line - is he is a champion, a great footballer, a great insipation to all aspiring young up and coming champions

If you can get away with it, without being cought gees your good. (can I have your autograph)

Sorry, but was not he one that came out and damned the use of drugs - talk about being a hipocrite.

how honest is the man, 10 years of getting away with taking drugs, now because he got caught - He is a great man for saying he was on drugs for the whole of professional footballing career. The question needs to be asked who was protecting him? the NRL, his own football club and definately his family.

So what - he personified the all round good guy with a very nasty habit.

the drug he is/was taking is very harmful, it has caused the deaths of many, many people.

To those that think its Ok - is its OK for your kids to take these so called party drugs because as you say they are only recreational drugs.

True we all make mistakes -some pay for it more than others, But I don't think they should name him as an "Immortal" now.

I'm with you stormy if he has depression wouldn't it be safer to go top G.P. rather than go to the local dealer for you medicine? Oh I'm sorry that takes stating you have a problem and trying to get help to deal with it. Not being a dips**t about it. When one of my very very close friends told me they were suffering from depression maybe I should have said "Stuff the doctor they don't know anything go and see the little grubby dude in the corner hell fix you up and you don't tell anybody about it". A spade is a spade in my book. Hey I'm an aging bald fat man, hold up maybe I need to go and see the the grubby little man in the corner thats alright I have come out to say it so I will be treated like a hero as well ;).

Joey has done more than most users by actually admitting he has/had a problem (albeit after getting caught). My view is there's no excuse for taking recreational drugs. Doesn't matter if you're the greatest athlete in the world or the local hobo - recreational drugs have NO PLACE in any society.

Maybe this admission will persuade other users to admit to their problems, seek help, or even just stop doing it all together.

I blame the media for blowing it out of proportion. :mad:

Who are we to comment about some one elses problems when i am sure every one at some stage in there life has had problems of there own.They may not of been drug problems but what ever they were or are, I feel no one has the right to comment unless it directly effects you.

I feel if you dont have some thing nice to say dont say it.

Peace :surrender:

GEEZ, IF PEOPLE WERE ONLY THIS FORGIVING TOWARDS BEN COUSINS AND THE WEST COAST EAGLES - OH I FORGOT........HE'S NOT VICTORIAN!

WAZ333 Re: Andrew Johns, Drug Addict
GEEZ, IF PEOPLE WERE ONLY THIS FORGIVING TOWARDS BEN COUSINS AND THE WEST COAST EAGLES - OH I FORGOT........HE'S NOT VICTORIAN!

Neither is Andrew Johns?

Hang on a second the bloke has given his all in every football match he has played who gives a s**t if he has popped a few eccies in his time or done drugs. for christ sake the bloke is the best football player of all time. drugs or no drugs the bloke is still a champion. some people need to lighten up and chill out. we have all made mistakes in life as I am sure u have were we hung over it NOPE so why hang joey over this. And dont give me the ROLE MODEL crap because he is just a regular human being with a talent

Yes he was an awesome football player but let's look at the situation:

He was doing drugs for 10 years...... I hardly think it was 'a' mistake, it was more like an addiction forged over years of abuse.

*Ooops it slipped and fell into my mouth, guess I'll take it now since it's already there. I can't believe this happens to me so often!* Whatever!!

The other factor is that he had MORE options for help than any other young adult with depression (if he has that and it wasn't just an excuse). The club and the NRL have many people he could have seen including doctors and psychiatrist at his disposal, all he had to do was say the word. I just think it was a poor excuse for his abuse. I also find it sad he tried to cover it up at first.

Joey has done more than most users by actually admitting he has/had a problem (albeit after getting caught). My view is there's no excuse for taking recreational drugs. Doesn't matter if you're the greatest athlete in the world or the local hobo - recreational drugs have NO PLACE in any society.
Maybe this admission will persuade other users to admit to their problems, seek help, or even just stop doing it all together.

Do you think he would have admitted he had a problem if he wasn't caught? He didn't admit it for the rest of the ten years.

I think ALL drug users need to be weeded out of all sports and helped. If they can't kick the adiction with that help then kick them out of the sport until they do.

Pick 250 18-35 year old males at random from anywhere. Honestly, what are your chances of getting zero drug users in that sample?
If it had been a nineteen year old reserve grade player it would have rated three lines on page 10. Just so happened it was a high profile idiot instead of a low profile idiot. Big deal, get over it and stop expecting the word 'áthlete' to somehow make saints out of ordinary people.

They aren't ordinary people. That's the problem. They are getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to play a game they love, in front thousands of supporters everyweek! How awesome would that be as a career? The players are well aware of the problems associated with drug use.
What completely blows me away is how a guy at the top of his game went 10 years without getting caught. It send's out the wrong message to up and coming kids. If Joey can do it for 10 years without getting caught... then why can't we??
Maybe we need a drug scandel in bowling. It seems everyother sport seems to almost benefit from it in terms of publicity...

Later Da Cowman!

P.S. The last statement was tongue in cheek...

Back
Top Bottom