Heath Ledger dies of overdose in New York

Jase

Admin
Staff member
HEATH Ledger has died of an apparent drug overdose.

The 28-year-old Perth-born actor's body was found in his apartment in New York.

The New York Post said his apartment was strewn with pills, adding that it was unclear whether the death was intentional.

The celebrity website TMZ said Ledger was found dead in his bed in one of his residences in Soho by his housekeeper at 3.35pm New York time (7.35am AEDT).

According to the Associated Press, Ledger's body was discovered by his housekeeper who came to tell him his masseuse had arrived for an appointment.

Law enforcement sources tell TMZ they believe it was not a crime.

Ledger has a two year old daughter with former fiancee Michelle Williams. He was set to play the Joker in the upcoming Batman film The Dark Knight.

This info was posted on Bigpond.com

When I saw the photo of Heath I thought it was going to be something to do with a movie role. I was completely shocked to read that he is dead.

What a sad, sad waste of life and our thoughts are with his young daughter Matilda.

I was only thinking last night while putting on some washing that we haven't heard much of Heath lately and the kids and I might watch A Knight's Tale today (they love that movie) I don't think I'll be able to do it now.

"Australian-born actor Heath Ledger has been found dead at his home in New York in what authorities say is a possible drug-related death. He was 28.

A New York Police Department spokesman said Ledger had an appointment for a massage at the apartment that is believed to be his home in Soho in Manhattan.

The housekeeper went to tell Ledger the masseuse had arrived and found him dead on Tuesday afternoon, spokesman Paul Browne said.

"We are investigating the possibility of an overdose," NY Police spokesman Paul Browne told Reuters.

"There were pills within the vicinity of the bed," Browne said.

Ledger was an Oscar nominee for his role in Brokeback Mountain, where he met his wife, actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams lived in Brooklyn and had a daughter, Matilda, but split up last year.

Ledger played the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in Monster's Ball and had starring roles in A Knight's Tale and The Patriot.

He was to appear as the Joker this year in The Dark Knight, a sequel to 2005's Batman Begins.

Ledger grew up in Perth and began doing amateur theatre at age 10. At 16, he moved to Sydney to pursue an acting career, quickly landing TV movie roles and guest spots on Australian television.

After several independent films and a starring role in the short-lived Fox TV series Roar, Ledger moved to Los Angeles and co-starred in 10 Things I Hate About You, a teen comedy reworking of The Taming of the Shrew.

Offers for other teen films came his way, but Ledger turned them down, preferring to remain idle than sign on for projects he did not like.

"It wasn't a hard decision for me," Ledger told The Associated Press in 2001.

"It was hard for everyone else around me to understand. Agents were like, 'You're crazy,' my parents were like, 'Come on, you have to eat.'"

His latest role was in I'm Not There, in which he played one of the many incarnations of singer Bob Dylan - as did Cate Blanchett, whose performance in that film earned her an Oscar nomination for best supporting actress.

Film critic Margaret Pomeranz has described the death as devastating.

Pomeranz said she was shocked by the news of the 28-year-old actor's death.

"I am so upset, I just can't tell you," Pomeranz told ABC radio.

"I mean he is such a talented boy and really, I think a beautiful soul.

"And I think to choose the roles he chose shows such intelligence."

Reporters outside Ledger's apartment said the medical examiner had arrived and authorities were in the process of removing his body"

A very very sad day for Australia and the film industry. He was a brilliant actor and it's sad that his life has been shortened. R.I.P Heath Ledger.

Not good, appears to be sleeping pills, and also its reported he was suffering pneumonia also..

Could be accidental..

Time will tell.

RIP

Iam still in shock. What a sad day for all Aussies. Going to put my PATRIOT DVD on latter this evening and down a few TEDs in memory of one fine young oz actor.

Cheers and tears
Julie

Rest in piece mister ledger, does not matter how he died, my thoughts go out to his family and friends

Poor little Matilda. It's such a pity to see a life cut so short especially when there are small children involved. Thoughts to his family at this sad time.

Heres a Trailer of the new Batman movie The Dark Knight HD .
http://rapidshare.com/files/86127854/The_Dark_Knight_-_Trailer.AVI

And an interesting article.

Actor Heath Ledger has been left physically and mentally drained by his latest role as The Joker in the new Batman movie. Ledger has found his latest role as a mass-murdering psychopath difficult, with the part leaving him so disturbed he is finding it almost impossible to sleep.

He says, "It is a physically and mentally draining role. He's this Psychopathic, Mass-Murdering, Schizophrenic Clown. It takes a lot of preparation to play. Last week, I probably slept two hours a night. My body was exhausted."

www.femalefirst.co.uk/entertainment/Heath+Ledger-43666.html

Back
Top Bottom