A question for bowlers

I pose this question to all bowlers. Do you think more investigation should have been done when reactive balls hit the market in the early 90's?? My reason for re question is when the introduction of full body swim suits a few years ago! Swimmers broke records and had a massive advantage and clearly swimming better times. And with this Fina banned the use of the suits. I believe this should have been the case with reactive bowling balls, we are seeing copious amounts of pro like averages for bowlers who pre reactive would be averaging 180-190 maybe less So is this a case exactly like the full body swim suits?? I think so. Looking forward to reading your thoughts on this :)

Mark

I believe the evolution of the sport should have stopped with wood and lacquer finished lanes [I would have suggested liquid shellac - but then no business could afford the fire insurance premiums]- and rubber bowling balls - but then I am also of the view that the minute they unbuckled the horse from the front of the automobile and removed the man walking in front carrying a lantern - that the world as we once knew it was in a steep decline.

Helpful?

221 average was needed to make the Cut of 16.

That's from the current post about the Mentone Cup. Says it all. We didn't give that horse the freedom of the universe, when we freed it from the front of the auto. It hasn't evolved into Pegasus, but unfortunately, it has bolted. Let's turn on the disco lights and have fun, fun, fun.

We all have access to re-ative balls these days at pretty good prices. If you are using the same ball you used 30 years ago you really need to wake up and move on. Most bowling alleys are feeling the effect of tight times and it's hard to get new numbers through the doors. The one way to increase bowler numbers is to have them bowl well. I have seen people get 300 games that really should not hell I have 10 under my belt. The sport needs to move with the times. It's not just the ball but the lanes more so the condition. If you take away technology from our sport you will take away the people that play it. Just by buying a $350 dollar re-active ball does not give you a 200+ average.

Did it need to evolve? I don't think so, it hasn't increased bowler numbers or increased the profile!.. I have played many sports over the years, cricket, football and basketball to name a few, yes the bats are thicker and designed differently but they haven't turned avg cricketers into world beaters, so I would say it gives many bowlers an unfair advantage and basically batting above their avg! :)

Like it or not it's the way it is. Many sports have used technology to improve the espect of their game. From grounds keepers who study horticulture that improves grounds to the types of material used in manufactoring balls round or oval. Do you think tennis Australia needs to go back to the old wooden tennis racquet? NO!!!its for the best. At the end of the day it's a human throwing a ball 60 feet down a lane at ten pins.

Whether we like it or not All sports are changing. Cricket has changed the ball now lasts 60 overs not 35 before it goes soft. A lot of sports restrict the equipment, our restrictions are more in the lane condition. Bowling has improved the way things are done but honestly if you attend tournaments how many 300's are bowled, I have attended quite a few now and have seen less than a dozen in 3 years.
Don't confuse the good house condition with the tournament condition.
In finishing it still takes a lot of skill to shoot a 220 plus average over 15 games so I certainly dont begrudge the people that are able to this, actually i enjoy watching them ply thier craft,back in the day average scores may have been high 190's to 175. These are the people still on top only technology is allowing them consistacy so they shoot higher. Embrace the available technology and enjoy yourself we all have the same opurtunity.

I believe it is all relative.

If only one person has the access to the best equipment then it would be unfair. Big scores are normally bowled by everyone at an event, not normally just one. Sure there are exceptions, but generally if everybody is rolling a 220 average then the cream will still rise to the top and bowl 240. When it is tough a 200 average is the cream the rest throw lower. Again it is all relevant.

Synthetic lanes have reduce the cost to set up a centre and have reduced the maintenance I am sure as by-product. This means more centres, back in the 80's and before centres were forced into high cost maintenance of wooden lanes etc.

So I guess time just moves on, embrace it and work out how to bowl 240 averages when everybody else is shooting 220. Look at bowling sports events to really push your skills. House Shot league score higher, most of the top bowler know the difference. Maybe bowl league with a plastic ball if the challenge is not there for you. I guess as long as you know the difference and cause of the high scores and don’t kid yourself you can enjoy the game.

I know I am a league hack with a goal to improve. I look at every shot and I am honest about a good score bowled badly with no more than three shots the same, as apposed to a good score bowled on a tough pattern bowled well.

You just need to be honest.

Let the progression continue and enjoy what comes out next.

Firstly, Mark, excellent observation and question. You will face Machiavellian opposition to making bowling more honest though. Apparently, it's not how things are done anymore.
Like it or not it's the way it is. Many sports have used technology to improve the espect of their game. From grounds keepers who study horticulture that improves grounds to the types of material used in manufactoring balls round or oval. Do you think tennis Australia needs to go back to the old wooden tennis racquet? NO!!!its for the best. At the end of the day it's a human throwing a ball 60 feet down a lane at ten pins.

Not so when it's a human throwing at ten boards at the breakpoint. We've all seen it. Some houses are just cheating, plain and simple. To use the groundkeeper analogy, some houses are like putting greens shaped like funnels to the hole. I remember not long after the release of reactive balls, a prominent independent proprietor commenting that the same amount of money was going through the bowl, it had just shifted from practice games to the pro shop. I don't believe that the situation has got any better with all the blocked lanes. What an indictment on our game.

I only have 7 x 300's. But then, I try to bowl in the more honest houses. I'll let you in on a little secret, all the better players internally grade 300 according to the house it was bowled in. Some places, it's awesome, like Sam Cooley throwing 300 to win the Sport Series at Rooty Hill in 2010. Others, not so much.

I believe it is all relative.

If only one person has the access to the best equipment then it would be unfair. Big scores are normally bowled by everyone at an event, not normally just one. Sure there are exceptions, but generally if everybody is rolling a 220 average then the cream will still rise to the top and bowl 240. When it is tough a 200 average is the cream the rest throw lower. Again it is all relevant.

Synthetic lanes have reduce the cost to set up a centre and have reduced the maintenance I am sure as by-product. This means more centres, back in the 80's and before centres were forced into high cost maintenance of wooden lanes etc.

So I guess time just moves on, embrace it and work out how to bowl 240 averages when everybody else is shooting 220. Look at bowling sports events to really push your skills. House Shot league score higher, most of the top bowler know the difference. Maybe bowl league with a plastic ball if the challenge is not there for you. I guess as long as you know the difference and cause of the high scores and don’t kid yourself you can enjoy the game.

I know I am a league hack with a goal to improve. I look at every shot and I am honest about a good score bowled badly with no more than three shots the same, as apposed to a good score bowled on a tough pattern bowled well.

You just need to be honest.

Let the progression continue and enjoy what comes out next.
Everyone has access to the same equipment, but the equipment is not designed with the better player in mind. Therefore the player with the weaker release gets the most advantage out of reactive balls. I was stunned at how weakly so many people release the ball when I came back to bowling. I see guys complaining about weak 10's (which they invariably claim to be "solid" or "stone" 10's), when in reality, some engineer at the factory got the 5 pin out for them. So the equipment negates the requirement for a strong release, especially at the league level. House shots vastly reduce the need for shot consistency and subsequently, the requisite skill level.

Synthetic lanes are so prevalent because the softer wood lanes have all been burned to the hidden mortice nails by the friction of reactive covers. They are that aggressive. Some of them use industrial abrasives in the covers, for goodness sakes!

But you're right about being honest, John and I acknowledge you in that regard. You are brutally honest with yourself. Bowling needs a good long honest look at itself. Trouble is, many people think (if they think at all) that rewards in bowling should come from attendance, rather than application, let alone athletic prowess. And if it doesn't come from attendance, then they lobby their manager (who probably knows nothing about bowling) to have it made easier. In the universal search for a quiet life, said manager tells the head tech to make them easier, because they think it's simply a matter of making "x" larger (where x:1 is the house shot ratio). It's like the blind lobbying the blind to put pressure on someone who may or may not actually have a clue about lanes. Reminiscent of Yossarian planting egg shells to grow chickens in Stalag 19.

Ironically, we're now seeing the hens come home to roost, as the older synthetic panels, unprotected by oil outside 10 board, are now wearing out long before their time from ever-more-aggressive reactive covers designed to satiate bowling's desire for more free hook. It seems that those who forget their history really are doomed to relive it...

Slightly off-topic, however..While most of the important factors have been raised above, I still think the cost of keeping up technology-wise is one of the greatest disadvantages today. For example, most balls on the market will probably last around 12 months at decent performance level before it is time to start looking at upgrading again, depending on how much you bowl and how well you maintain your equipment.

Most gear tends to be between $250-$300 drilled. That's $1,000 - $1,200 per year alone. Then on top of that there is the need to replace shoes, soles, heels, bags, etc every so often. Shoes are probably the most overlooked item of all, it's difficult to have a consistent approach and release without a good pair of shoes. A good pair of Dexters will set you back another $250 every couple of years. A new bag is $250 - $300. This is all before league and (hopefully) practice costs.

2 Leagues @ $30 (45 week season): $2,700 (I realise of course most will get a proportion of this back just for competing, different leagues different amounts)
4 New balls: $1,000
New Shoes once every 2 years: $125 per year
New Bag once every 3 years: $100 per year

Total: $3,925.

That's without any tournaments or practice.

5 games practice per week @ $4 per game (which really is nowhere near sufficient): $900
5 tournaments at average of $100 each: $500

Now you're up to $5,325 per year. We're talking some serious cash. At the moment I need new shoes, new bag and 2-3 new bowling balls and I am struggling to justify the expense.

Compare with the days before super-balls. Have 1-2 balls, less need to replace as often, more emphasis on practice and shotmaking.

Considering all of this along with the points raised in the original post, yes I think more should have been done to look into the effects years ago.

Mark - some quality people have passed on their thoughts to your question in this thread. There is one point of relevance that has [I think] not been raised however - and that is the advancement of the bowler - the human factor. This particular factor could be an extensive topic - but I'll keep it simple as I am getting far too old to be trying to type [not a natural exercise] extensively.

The game of golf has changed significantly over recent years. Certainly - like bowling, technology development has impacted on equipment - but possibly the most significant impact has been advancement in the human sciences.

Not in order - but including advancements in coaching, diet, the mind, physical fine tuning and a great deal more. How has golf "managed" this advancement at the professional level? Well they have made some fine tuning adjustments to technology advancements but more significantly they have simply increased the length [and in some cases also the difficulty] of many championship courses. By so doing they have attempted to bring the advancing and ever improving "human aspect" back to the field.

Can bowling do the same - does it need to? Well it can't reasonably increase the length of a lane - but it can alter the playing condition. Someone in this thread wisely mentioned that synthetic lanes have been a huge financial benefit to the bowling industry [the proprietor] - as someone who has sold thousands of lane beds across many parts of the world in my time - I can only agree with that.

Despite the fact that I would like to turn the clock back to wood and lacquer - as a way of really finding out where we are at with this sport "scoring reality wise" - I'm the first to agree that it is impossible to do so.

Technology can't and won't be stopped - the advancement of the human factor can't and won't be stopped - the only thing left to reinstate some integrity into this sport is the fortitude of the rule makers.

I hope they are up to it.

Hi Tim,

I could not agree more with the cost. I have only been back bowling just on 16 months now and have averaged a new ball every five weeks so far. All in the search for what works for me. It all adds up.

The running costs of the equipment also ads up. Replacement shoes and replacement soles, replacement inserts, ball cleaners, SAAIR pads, polish, ball spinners etc etc.

I have settled on three tournament balls that get little use other than tournaments in the hope that I will get a season or more out of them.

For league I have two low end balls that I just try to make work. They cost me under $100 each as they were run out balls I happened to come across.

In league the scores don't bother me, as long as I spare well and roll it clean I should average around 190 in a sports league and 210 on a House Shot. I then use one of those balls, my RICO drilled ball as my spare ball. Moving forward the cost should start to reduce as the league balls will last longer as performance of the ball is not as critical.

I always try to bowl outside the track area on a house shot to make it harder and more sporting for myself. You just need to learn to play yourself and not be concerned about getting a wacking by other bowlers with higher powered stuff, and learn to concentrate on your game.

Again the scores don't bother me, the shot making does.

Bowling has changed, but you can still make it a challenge for yourself and try and spread the cost around. If I can save one ball and make it last longer, I have saved an entry for a tournament or 50 x $4 games of practice.

But that’s just me.

221 average was needed to make the Cut of 16.

That's from the current post about the Mentone Cup. Says it all. We didn't give that horse the freedom of the universe, when we freed it from the front of the auto. It hasn't evolved into Pegasus, but unfortunately, it has bolted. Let's turn on the disco lights and have fun, fun, fun.

That is due to the ditch that Mentone always lays. They are hardly a relevant or good example, unless you want an extreme of how easy it can be made by centres who want to do that.

Yes I said it. Mentone is a f----king joke.

A very enjoyable read thanks to all of you who have had an opinion and shared some very insightful analogies.. Sure has been helpful to the bowler who has little or no hand in the ball, where as late 80's early 90's I believe bowlers with hand had the advantage! I bowled Mentone on the weekend and carry was the only thing that stopped me according to a few people who where watching me from averaging 240+ because of my shot and angle I was hitting the pocket, where as a few who made the cut and averaged 225ish had no or very little hand. So maybe rolls are now reversed and everyone will want the straight up 10 and not through 20 shot. If i could of read the future maybe i would of not gone for more :)

I hope so too Steve. I hope so too....

CO, stated in your usual economical manner. :) Alas, Mentone is far from alone on that front. When every house in the city is walled up to satisfy the customers need to get an attendance award of 300, who's going to blink first?

Funnily enough, it could be AMF, as they have the most lane beds at risk from the poor maintenance that is hand in glove with lane blocking. No oil, and some houses have none outside 10 once you get about 15 feet down the lane, means no surface protection. None. Zip. Nil. Nada. Donut.

Texture coat burnout in T-minus not too long now. It's rife in the US and we're already seeing it here. And we all have a vested interest in stopping it. Every last one of us. Because what's going to have to happen to pay for new lanes everywhere..? So who knows..? Maybe Operations Managers meeting with Finance Managers will save bowling. Stranger things have happened.

Everyone has access to the same equipment, but the equipment is not designed with the better player in mind. Therefore the player with the weaker release gets the most advantage out of reactive balls. I was stunned at how weakly so many people release the ball when I came back to bowling...

Jason... What defines a weak release? Is this RPM based or speed based or a combination of both?

Im no expert but a good release should have a combination of revs and rotation, which can only be provided by proper arm AND wrist position before and after releasing the ball. I think what Jason means is people with the "super balls" can just roll up the back of it and get 10-25 boards depending on lane surface and speed. Where as in the pre reactive era that would yield absolutely no result at all, except maybe 10 pin shooting. Opening and closing your shoulders is also an important part of todays game, and something that when utilized properly is an advantage in itself.

At the end of the day let the league hero's have fun. Dont let it worry you, there is nothing we can do as a bowling community to stop the easy lane conditions. Focus your energy on putting in good performances in practice and tournaments. If you do neither then i cant see easy lane conditions being an insult.

Will also note, we can battle the ever growing technological marvels with lane conditions (Tournaments) but when compared to swimmings "Speed Suits" they cant make the water more dense can they? maybe they should of started racing on orange juice or sometihng? :D

A good release only needs to be consistent. Same release every time. Then you deal with where the ball needs to be on the lane.

And yes, there seems to be more ditches appearing all the time, mainly AMF ones.

Casual Observer "A good release only needs to be consistent. Same release every time. Then you deal with where the ball needs to be on the lane."

Simple, but true, but basics like that have got themselves buried by technology, so that now, for instance there is usually as much interest in 'what ball was it?' as 'who was it?' when each 300 is bowled. I wonder if ANYONE asked what ball he used when Joe Velo bowled the first one, both in Australia and outside the U.S. - way back then - I doubt it !

Everyone around at the time knew that Joe did it. Not the ball.

Back
Top Bottom