50th Nationals Interesting Figures.

dockers

Bowlers in the Nationals paid $7 expense charge for each event which totals approximately 3241 X $7= $22687 plus those who tried to qualify for the Masters paid $15 each entry. For the top 40 qualifiers that amounts to 504 X $15 = $7560, plus $200 to bowl in final X 79 = $15800, defending Champion (Cooley) did not have to pay. Lineage for the finals @ $6 a game is $5000, (I doubt $6 would be the charge) Just like to know who gets paid & who volunteers????. How much went to the Masters Prize Money???. Those who failed to qualify for Masters total 110 men & 20 women how many attempts @ $15 did they have???. From the Prize Monies bowlers have to pay for Trophies, Medallions, Shirts etc & send stamped addressed envelopes if they want confirmation of squads. 3.5% credit card charge - it just goes on & on for bowler to PAY. Dockers.

Would you volunteer your time to do everything that these guys did and have to pay for 21 nights accomodation and food as well... At a guess I'd say each volunteer would have had to pay in the order of $5000 each if this was the case.

Also, your figures are out a little as well... To bowl 3 games with a masters entry cost $50... $15 for masters and $35 for the games... Remember that each singles, doubles and teams placegetters in each grade get prizemoney as well (male and female) I'm just not sure about mixed events though...

My thought is this.

If not run as a business and at a profit there would not have been a 50th Nationals.

Every sporting event is run as a business, that's life these days. From the foot ball stadiums down, they need to make a profit to run or the close.

Taking into account the staff that where required, the social play that was lost. The wonderful volunteers that make it possible. This year I had the pleasure of seeing a volunteer inducted into the hall of fame for their supporting role. They make it possible, they make it profitable so there will be a 51st Nationals.

It's just how sport is these days.

Really, John.?
It would be no good changing sports then, would it? No good being a bit of a washed up 'used to be' say, like Tiger Woods. My God, think of the expenses he must be up for with accomodation, fares , entry fees., someone to talk to at night, and so on.

Right here locally - What about V/ 8 Supercars? Can you imagine how much it costs for all the above, plus the cost of a large technical team, tyres, maintenance, fuel and the cost of transport from venue to venue, on a V/8 Supercar?.

Yet these blokes do all this for our entertainment - selflessly!. Let's not even consider the various football codes. More selfless
people putting their bodies on the line for us It truly boggles the mind and makes us realise, as Tenpin Bowlers, how very fortunate we are.

Mickyd213 Only mentioned $15 to qualify, realise the $35 is for 3 games $18 , Prize Fund $10 & Tournament Expense $7 the only Prize Money paid out is what the bowler put in & it covers every event plus another $6 for All Event catergory. Angry Dockers.

Why so much hate? AMF made a stack load of money from this event... You expect them to run a charity? =\ I dont understand the concept here; either you came down in the last shower and forgot the world runs on money, or you simply think everything is rainbows and lollipops.... ?

Where is the hate??? no comment about AMF. Just showing how much the bowlers pay & the high amount of tournament expense for every entry $7. All the charges are paid to TBA. I have come from 39 National Championships and in excess of 300 Rachuig games. Dockers

I guess it will not change. The bowler must pay until such a time that bowling is on TV and sponsors start to pay.

Sadly for Australia this probably will never happen.

Yes, it is expensive. I am OK with that because I choose to bowl and love it regardless.

Thank goodness for the selfless support people that help to make it possible. If the centre had to pay every one of them imagine the cost then.

The good thing though, is that we all have an opinion and have the right to voice it. You have to love that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

John, you say,"Sadly for Australia this probably will never happen." Equally sadly, logic compels me to agree.
If it could be made to happen, do you have an opinion who would be most likely to be able to pull the right levers, influence the right people, demonstrate the products viability and saleability,so as to give value to sponsors ?

Bowlers, Centres, or TBA ? Or someone else ?

Hey Jim,

I wish I had that answer. Australia just does not have the population, at the same time it has so many sports sharing the spot light.

How long did it take for Soccer to get off the ground in Australia. Rugby League is struggling, teams going broke every were. Basket Ball a the national level nearly died two years ago, there was talk of it being dropped from the England Olympics.

Maybe if Bowling one day became an Olympic sport it may get some time in the sunshine.

The starting point has to be the TBA and more members. More member will mean more centres, better prices etc etc. Then air time on TV.

The local station ran some air time on Dad this week, maybe five minutes. Friday Dad had two people stop to congratulate him in the street. That was the first time I had seen bowling mentioned on TV down here for probably more than ten years.

Every week the league result use to be in the local paper. Who buys a news paper these days?

If it is never seen, it will be forgotten.

We have to hope that the TBA lead by younger people like Cara will make a difference and get more folk envolved and get the snow ball rolling for our wonderful sport.

AMF run this to make money, not to promote bowling. I have been saying it for 12 months now. Sooner or later you people will realise they wont do anything that will cost them money, they are a business.

I guess it will not change. The bowler must pay until such a time that bowling is on TV and sponsors start to pay.

Sadly for Australia this probably will never happen.

Yes, it is expensive. I am OK with that because I choose to bowl and love it regardless.

Thank goodness for the selfless support people that help to make it possible. If the centre had to pay every one of them imagine the cost then.

The good thing though, is that we all have an opinion and have the right to voice it. You have to love that.

You only need to look at what Ray and Deano have achieved with their $10,000 first place tourney to show that all you need is a decent effort. They got off their arses, stopped complaining and actually did something. Might be something in that for all of you.

And they didn't do it to make money.

You only need to look at what Ray and Deano have achieved with their $10,000 first place tourney to show that all you need is a decent effort. They got off their arses, stopped complaining and actually did something. Might be something in that for all of you.

And they didn't do it to make money.

Absolutely true, like I keep saying. Thank you to the wonderful volunteers that keep our sport alive.

As for AMF, I have known that for more than 40 years. They would not open a centre for charity, they are in the business of family entertainment. I think that last bit sums up part of the problem for bowling.

Any hoot, we can debate it for hours. The same result will come out, to make it work the TBA and the Bowlers will need to do the work.

Again, nothing knew in that statement.

Well I would have to say with over 16000 Games Bowled More Spectators in a Center then I have seen since I Can Remember, perhaps while not ideal Bowlers will pay to bowl in a great event that is well run in a awesome venue.

AMF run this to make money, not to promote bowling. I have been saying it for 12 months now. Sooner or later you people will realise they wont do anything that will cost them money, they are a business.

I don't think you can make a statement like this.

Of course AMF want to make money but they are putting up prize money to do this. By putting up this prize money and having international bowlers coming over is promoting bowling.

I am not sure if you were at the Nationals but the crowds watching the masters were the biggest that I have seen in a bowling centre for a while.

Either you are completely blind or you are just stupid.

By getting people in the door AMF makes money. I will say it again, they are a business and will only do things to help themselves.

For example, 16000 games bowled is how much profit? Even at $6 lineage they were making money. How much of the entry fee was fed back into the prize fund and how much did AMF actually sponsor the tournament?

It may have been well run and by the sound of it that was the case and everyone enjoyed themselves. That's great but don't think for one minute they did it for bowling.

Speaking of crowds, I can remember the Melbourne Cup at Ringwood back in the 80's charging admission to watch the matchplay/finals... and they would pack the place.

Did they charge the for the Masters where they had without a doubt, a stronger field? If AMF were that money hungry, I'm sure they would start charging.

John, from my experience the whole structure has to be re-worked from the Grass Roots up. This is the only way to get advertising and Sponsers.

Many years ago all AMF Centre's had Ad's in the local papers, this was completely stopped as a Cost saving method, ( to me it Cost more than it Saved )because before the cutbacks each Centre could ring up thier local paper and could give them a story with photo's and it would usually be printed, because they spent money on advertising. Naturally when the Ad's were stopped the local papers had no reason to print anything, no goodwill.

This is what is needed if you want Sponsers, they won't advertise if nobody hears about it, they would be just chucking thier Money away.

This brings us to Tournaments, they also have to start from a Grass Roots area. The former NSW Grand Prix circuit started from Centres starting thier own Tournament and having complete ownership, they got thier own sponsors, usually local Bowlers who owned a Business, before Steve Mackie was able to put all the Tournaments together and call it a Circuit, this was actually the beginning of the End. Why because it was than run by Head Office, who had no ownership, looked for short cuts, cost cutting, simple to run Formats, eventually the Sponsors were fewer, less money from sponsors, even though the Sponsers were given exclusivity in the Cafe's as a reward for putting up the Cash. So when you have a Circuit that pay's $1200 first prize from 1985 to 2000, than you can see where it was headed.

We have to start over again, and advertising in Local Papers has to happen, otherwise we will be invisable.

willey

Either you are completely blind or you are just stupid.

By getting people in the door AMF makes money. I will say it again, they are a business and will only do things to help themselves.

For example, 16000 games bowled is how much profit? Even at $6 lineage they were making money. How much of the entry fee was fed back into the prize fund and how much did AMF actually sponsor the tournament?

It may have been well run and by the sound of it that was the case and everyone enjoyed themselves. That's great but don't think for one minute they did it for bowling.

Why is it when someone makes a comment about your posts that you have to get personal?

AMF contributed $50000 to the prize fund for the Masters. How is that not promoting bowling?

AMF put ads in newspapers promoting the Masters which was a bowling event.

AMF allowed the bowling show to film the finals which will be shown on TV. Again promoting bowling.

AMF is a business that needs to make money because otherwise it will go broke and then where will bowling be?

Back
Top Bottom