2013 Wide Bay Series

caboolture bowl

After a long meeting in Maryborough today the Wide Bay group has decided that they will give the series a whole new look next year with the main focus on rebuilding the local support and participation and trying to get more numbers into tournament bowling, with that said there is 2 major changes, price and format.

The tournaments will be multi entry with your first costing $80.00 and all other entries $50.00 each.

The format changes are: 6 game squads with a minimum of 2 squads bowled Saturday and 2 squads bowled Sunday with a top 8 final to be bowled on Sunday afternoon, Bowlers can bowl once or as many squads as a tournament runs, this will encourage locals to have a go and give travelers the chance to bowl multiple squads. Once you have booked into extra squads you must either bowl or sell your spot to someone.

Prize Fund: 1st place will be $500.00 and the expected total prize fund at each event should be a minimum of $2400.00.

End of Year prize fund will be made up of $10.00 from each 1st entry and $5.00 for all others and we hope to have a minimum of $2400.00 with the top points winner receiving $500.00 and paid down to 10th place.

There will be 6 events next year and I'm pleased to announce the return of HerveyBay.

Gympie 9th & 10th February
Maryborough 6th & 7th April
Bundy 25th & 26th May
Caboolture 27th & 28th July
HerveyBay 7th & 8th September
Suncity 16th & 17th November

I know not everyone will like the changes and we welcome your feed back but it is about trying to get back to the old days of having fun and meeting up with friends and having an affordable tournament with some new blood?

We need a name for the NEW series so if you have any thoughts please leave them for us ASAP,

Thanks

Batesy

I think most travelers would bowl 2 squads (12 games) and the cut is to 8 but cash could go down more depending on entries. For all the bowlers who remember South Pacific qualifying I guess it's a bit like that where you keep trying to make the final. A smaller final with the best bowlers on that centres condition should be good for spectators?

Thanks

Batesy

Don't get me wrong I'm in no matter what, have enjoyed it this year. And yes we would book 2 squads every stop to make it worthwhile

Each event can have it's own final format: 7 game matchplay, best of 3 game eliminator, stepladder or something different.

will qualifying be made up of 6 games only to be in top 8 or will it be 12 games (2 x 6 games) best results?

i think 6 games only to top 8 is a bit brutal. also will it by a fresh squad then dry squad? ie fresh oil 1st then no re-oil then fresh etc..?

jase

Hi Jase, it will be only 6 games to make top 8, I know I will be oiling before every squad and I would hope the other will to but it will be up to them, it will be a stated on every entry form, thanks for that.

Batesy

Hi Brian,

Great to see the low price and something different.

I've spoken to a few guys already and we are look to be on the same page. Make a weekend of these events - bowl 1 squad Saturday and then a second squad on Sunday - $130.00. I imagine a lot of guys would be looking at doing this.

With the reduced prize fund of $500.00 on top (no problem) and reduced cut to 8 - does the 8th position get $130.00.

I will be there to support the events regardless, but it would be nice that as a minimum, 8th place (or the cut positions) get their entry moneys back (based on 2 squads).

It would be great also if we could have standing sheets uploaded to total bowling, both the Wide Bay (or whatever the new name is) forum, as well as the total bowling facebook page. To this end, I have a laptop, as well as mobile access and am happy to volunteer to do these updates - however, I will need someone technical to show me how. Even if I am not at the centre - if the squad results could be emailed to me I will upload them right away. Whilst live scoring and uploads may not be practical, I think a lot of guys would be interested in the scores after each squad.

Thanks for taking on board the feedback and introducing the reduced prices - I think this will be huge in bringing back more bowlers. Perhaps if the numbers increase we could look at a bigger payout than 8th and even more guys making the cut - but I understand slowly slowly.

Cheers
Jon King

Thanks for the feed back and the support Jon, yes 8th place will be around $150.00 on the estimated figures we have worked on and hopefully we can pay down past 8th.

Cheers

Batesy

Hi Batesy, I noticed not all these events are on TBAQ calender:
Maryborough, Bundaberg, Hervey Bay and Suncity.
Are these dates set? They do not clash on the calender.
  • Maryborough 6th & 7th April
  • Bundy 25th & 26th May
  • Hervey Bay 7th & 8th September
  • Suncity 16th & 17th November

It would be great also if we could have standing sheets uploaded to total bowling, both the Wide Bay (or whatever the new name is) forum, as well as the total bowling facebook page. To this end, I have a laptop, as well as mobile access and am happy to volunteer to do these updates - however, I will need someone technical to show me how. Even if I am not at the centre - if the squad results could be emailed to me I will upload them right away. Whilst live scoring and uploads may not be practical, I think a lot of guys would be interested in the scores after each squad.

I can't see a problem with this if we create a new Facebook Album for each event.. All that will be required is a photo of a printed standing sheet :)... (cheap & easy!)

Let us know what you think...

Maybe Suncity? lol... Owning an old car has its good and bad sides... One bad side is not knowing if you will ever arrive to your destination... whether that destination is out of your driveway or Bundy (for example)... :p

Just to clarify, if bowling 2 qualifying squads, is it your best squad or your second squad that eventually gets counted at the end of everyone qualifying?

- Adam Grandison

Back
Top Bottom