2013 Wide Bay Series

Does the Bundy Classic clash with the association challenge next year on those dates? Or is that the week before?

Hey guys,
I am looking to start doing some tournaments next year, and I heard wide bay was a pretty good place to start, maybe border runners was another option that was given to me...

Any thoughts as to which would suit a pretty new bowler??

Wade

Hi Wade, good to hear from you. The Wide Bay series has been Queensland's major tour for a very long time - big names such as Bottomley, Qualischefski, Frilingos etc have all tasted success in our tournaments.

When deciding whether to bowl with us or Border Runners, you can take into consideration format and location... the Wide Bay Tour travels from Caboolture to Bundaberg and each stop is generally a 2 day, multi-entry tournament. At the moment each qualifying entry is 6 games, with the first entry costing $80 and any subsequent entries costing $50. Most people book 2 squads and take the opportunity to stay overnight in the towns we play in.... We camped and had a fire in Gympie and Maryborough, we hired 6 rooms in Bundaberg for a group of us and are doing the same in Sun City.
Border Runners is generally a 10 game qualifying for $170. Depending on where you live this might interest you more, and there is always the possibility of doing bits of both tours.

I've tried quite hard in the last 6 months to increase the Wide Bay Tour sponsorship, to include more non qualifier prizes and to increase the prestige associated with the tour. Please join our Facebook page "The Wide Bay Tour" and you'll get updates regularly.

If you are interested in seeing what goes on, why not come up and play SunCity on November 16-17?

Cheers

Jay

I think I'm a little more interested in the wide bay tour, however I'm in loganholme so like you said I could do a bit of both!!! The more I bowl the more I learn right lol. My mate and I wouldn't mind having a roll in the sun city tournament, can I get some more info on that if possible???

Hi Wade,

Both tournaments are an excellent starting point - and guaranteed both are great fun and great for your game and growth. Some thoughts on having bowled most events this season:

Wide bay - Shorter qualifying formats (6 games - with an option for another 6 game try if you like) makes it very difficult to make the top 8 (or so) cut. It is very exciting and the final squad has plenty of bowlers riding the rollercoaster of 'will I make the cut or not'.
Borders - Longer format qualifying - 10-12 games. Great endurance and seeing how lanes transition. Sparing well will almost always ensure you make the cut.

Both circuits are well run. Jay has done a great job in getting sponsors on board for Wide Bay and with the 'camping option' at country centres, it's a great weekend away. 2014 I expect will be one of the best years for Wide Bay. Emma and Ray also do a great job running and looking after the bowlers at the Border Runners events.

Both list on total bowling and facebook pages.

Highly recommend you do both.

Cheers
Jon King

Thanks mate, yeah most likely will do a few of both if not most... Border runners is probably a bit closer to me but b good to do both at all different centres. Unfortunately I'm only really a 2 centre bowler so it can only help doing a heap!

What is the finals format for border runners??

Thanks for the replies by the way boys!

Hey Wade;

Border Runners does a 7 game match play for top 15 qualifiers. Winner of matchplay wins the tournament ;)

Oh k sweet as, I see your doing the triples at mt warren Ryan, feel free to tell me more about it then haha

Neat casual attire usually, most bowlers wear black slacks and bowling shirts i.e Brunswick, Storm Motiv etc. no muscle shirts or singlets. As long as its neat and tidy. If you check the Wide Bay Tour facebook page you will see a design for the shirts for next year if you wish to purchase one. Highly recommended too as it will promote the tour where ever you go if you choose to wear it in league.

Back
Top Bottom