2012 Macquarie Bank Sydney Seniors Classic

elsie

Tenpin bowling’s appeal as a lifelong sport was highlighted with record entries to this year’s Macquarie Bank Sydney Seniors Classic at AMF Castle Hill Bowl. The annual tournament has grown strongly since its inception five years ago, attracting male and female bowlers fifty years and older to compete in the Seniors division, and sixty and over in the Grand Seniors division.

Victorian bowler Mike Kennedy scooped both the Seniors and Grand Seniors titles with a 3928 score and 218.2 average for the 18 games, overtaking Day One leader Nick Koumandakis from NSW, who finished third on 3853 in the Seniors - just 14 pins behind Victoria’s Paul Madden.

60 year-old Kennedy started bowling as a teenager in Geelong and later represented Australia at the FIQ Tenpin Bowling World Championships in 1983. In 1989 he travelled to the United States and spent six weeks with the iconic Don Johnson, winner of numerous major titles on the PBA Tour before making the transition to bowling instructor. “Don showed me how to rev the ball up and I’ve been bowling this way ever since,” said Kennedy following his dual triumph.

In the women’s division, Julie Hird from Queensland led the field going into Day Two and won this year’s Seniors title decisively after bowling a 209.1 average that the second squad players were unable to match. Defending champion Jeanette Baker from Victoria finished strongly, posting a 191.3 average to finish second, with Heather Robertson from NSW in third place on a 188.9 average. The Grand Seniors female winner was Christene Webster from Victoria, who finished 8th overall.

Sydney’s Sam Romeo threw the only perfect game on Day One of the tournament, while Canberra’s Ursula Ramsay’s 16th place overall clearly demonstrates that experience counts – Ursula turns 79 in December and bowls weekly in leagues at both Belconnen and Tuggeranong. She was part of the successful team that won Gold at the Asian Seniors Championship in Guam in November 2011, throwing a high game of 256 to help clinch the coveted Teams medal.

“Seniors are fortunate to have a well-attended ranked circuit, which gives many the ability to compete in the sport at a higher level. The Seniors share a passion for their sport and the friendships made are an added bonus … it’s one of the many reasons why Seniors events are so popular,” said tournament organiser, Susanne Jack.

Final standings for top three male and female bowlers in both divisions are summarised below, with full results available on the events page of Tenpin Bowling Australia’s website - www.tenpinevents.org.au.

Seniors (W): Julie Hird 3764 pins, 209.1 average; Jeanette Baker 3444, 191.3; Heather Robertson 3400, 188.09.
Grand Seniors (W): Chris Webster 3218 pins, 178.8 average; Sarah Knowland 3182, 176.8; Val Porteous 3155, 175.3.

Seniors (M): Mike Kennedy 3928 pins, 218.2 average; Paul Madden 3867, 214.8; Nick Koumandakis 3853, 214.1.
Grand Seniors (M): Mike Kennedy 3928 pins, 218.2 average; Kevin Blackmore 3817, 212.1; Sam Romeo 3746, 208.1.
ends

This was my 1st Seniors tournament and I enjoyed the company very much, except for about 5 games I bowled ok for me that is.
Great experience and I will try to make more events.
Congratulations to all winners, it was an interesting pattern.

Congrats to the winners and loved the condition. Challenging but fair and a welcome change to the dry ... a special mention to Nick, well done ....

Back
Top Bottom