2010 Schweppes Melbourne Tenpin Cup - Scores

Well It is the Melbourne cup and you do get withdrawals OR Are they scratchings ???

Not sure what the Tape readings are on the Lane oil patterns but I would have thoughts with the 478 bowlig balls people have with them today something would have worked okay

Its all a bit sad really, Maybe it was a dummy spit, hey ! we have all had those !!!!

The trouble most people are having is that the outside 5-6 boards are "out of bounds", inside 7 board hooks like crazy due to it being a short pattern. Keeping the ball in play and on the correct side of the headpin is proving to be quite a challenge.

apparently in the us open they will allow players to dicard the worst 6 holes & have a retry the next morning before tee off
what a farcical tournament to allow retries just to build a prizefund

My original thought is what the hell does it concern anyone here why either myself or Jason pulled out of a tournament. But then I forget that many many many people on here have opinions on issues that have no concern to them. What Jason said is correct. After about a game and a half, I had pain up the entire right hand side of my body trying to throw it hard. A deficiency in my own game? ABSOLUTELY! I have had 8 months off. I hope this is ok by everyone else here, because god help me if its not.

I have also started a list in Microsoft Excel with the phone numbers and addresses of people on totalbowling that I need to notify promptly with exactly what I am doing with my life till they find it sufficient enough information so they can post more rubbish on the forum. I will send this database to Jason Doust as well, just to keep you all informed. For the record, just after this post, I am thinking of pouring myself a jim beam and cola. I just need to make sure its ok with everyone here.

I sincerely apoligise to all international entrants and junior bowlers for withdrawing from a tournament. I sincerely also apoligise to everyone on totalbowling too, because my actions have effected everyones lives in such a significant way. I think both Jason and myself have attributed to global warming, delayed the ressurection of our lord saviour, and diverted a comet directly into the path of the earths orbit.

Tonx, Good on you mate.

I throughly agree. I must warn you however that Jim Beam is NOT an approved beverage. Southern Comfort is on the approved list - but with ice only.

what a funny post you & jason are very good bowlers with many years of experience & both of you boast in your sigs how good ball drillers you are you would think you would be able to drill balls for such conditions, try drilling a bottom wighted ball maybe 2 ozs, 3/4 negative, 3/4 thumb also perhaps a convetional or semi might help

Can I grab your phone number and postal address via PM?

If you don't think I need those details, I'll assume that it is none of your business.

as i was bowling next to mr doust and watching him stand as far left as the centres ball returns would physically let him, i can understand why he decided to pull out and spectate the rest of the days play.

i (tried) had to play the same area as jason, and luckily me being two handed i could produce just a little bit more ball speed that kept me in play.

the pattern wasnt easy at all. it was a good grind and the people that made the cut deserve to be there...though the whole re-entry thing is **** in my opinion lol

ps. lane 1 & 2 at narre are an absolute joke...

Good luck to all the bowlers who made the finals. I am sure the winner will be worthy of the title (regardless what the conditions are) and have their Names engraved with all the Past Melbourne Tenpin Cup Champions.:cool:

would like to see no more 2nd chance qualifying i think the 8 games , 2 day format was good credit those who bowl well on the day . just a thought.......

I think the whole sarcastic "I'll tell everybody before making another single decision in my lifetime" is just a tad childish. Grow up. Cop a little criticism and let it make you a better person.

The point I was trying to make here was the following: The attitude some people carry towards this game we are all trying to improve is somewhat surprising.

Like mentioned before, all the bowlers had to bowl on the same condition, some scored well, some didn't. However, that doesn't entitle the poorer performing bowlers to just "pack up his balls and leave" after 3 games....If its because of injury, I can understand. However.....

The bowler that drops out leaves a void that no one can fill. rhythms change. bowlers finish games earlier than others. Bowlers go hot and cold as they wait for lane changes. The bowler's actions, as entitled to them as they are, not only affect themselves but affect others on the lanes, spectators, children/youth that aspire to be bowlers....and (in this instance) Australia's Tenpin reputation. I can't imagine bowlers quitting in countries like Malaysia, where Tenpin is glorified.....I wonder what our international guests are thinking at this point?

As I have told you before now Tonx, I would hate for you to come up against the condition you had to face this weekend when you're wearing an Australian shirt in the upcoming Commonwealth Games.......You have retired, maybe your mentality is not where it should be. If you're not willing to at least finish a squad, GIVE THE AUSTRALIAN SHIRT TO SOMEONE ELSE.

I will mention again that this post is not, nor was it meant to be a personal attack on anyone. Perhaps attitudes like this are the reason Tenpin is dying a slow death in this country. Take all of this as constructive criticism. Lets get it rectified and get things back on track.

as i was bowling next to mr doust and watching him stand as far left as the centres ball returns would physically let him, i can understand why he decided to pull out and spectate the rest of the days play.

the pattern wasnt easy at all. it was a good grind and the people that made the cut deserve to be there...though the whole re-entry thing is **** in my opinion lol QUOTE]

Sorry Ty but disagree with your first comment above. Of the 66 male bowlers, many of which have high rev-rates and play with a lot of hand, only two decided to call it quits after a few games...... therefore I CANNOT UNDERSTAND why they decided to pull out. A lack of skills and versatility (and by the sounds of Tonx mostly insincere and immature post, physical conditioning) found them wanting.

Completely agree with your second comment above.

what a funny post you & jason are very good bowlers with many years of experience & both of you boast in your sigs how good ball drillers you are you would think you would be able to drill balls for such conditions, try drilling a bottom wighted ball maybe 2 ozs, 3/4 negative, 3/4 thumb also perhaps a convetional or semi might help

No doubt we could and did. For a 25ml pattern that was posted with 80 units up front. When the tape readings posted in the pro shop window come back at 50 units, up front, a quick bit of arithmetic says there's about 3/8 of the volume missing on a worn, high friction surface (HPL-9000). Guess what? 3/8 of 25mls means it plays like 16-17mls, which is exactly what it played like. These things happen unfortunately. The gear I expected to be throwing never saw daylight.

So sorry, I left my league balls at home. They'd have been pretty good off the 5th arrow. I'm bloody annoyed about forgetting them and packing for what was posted. That's the joy of traveling. You have to make some cuts, so you plan for the pattern and the surface. The one ball I had with a 4000 grit polished cover and pin-down, 6" pin to PAP was still too strong off 27 board. That's when I ran out of approach on every even lane and the ball returns are too far down the approach to squeeze 5 steps in before the foul line, or I would have gone there and lofted the capping.

So having exhausted those options, adjustments in speed, loft reduction, release angle and tilt also showed little promise. Oh yeah, the urethane ball I had looked awful too. Tried that. Now does anyone still think I didn't try enough adjustment?

My day was clearly over and things were getting extremely frustrating. I chose to exit quietly with what dignity I had left, of the opinion that I was setting a good example by cutting my losses without losing my temper. Clearly some people who didn't play in the event think otherwise. If they wish to pay my entry fees, I'm happy to do whatever they want with regard to this.

I have my opinion. Others have theirs. In the words of Peter Brock, what other people think of me is none of my business. But please refrain from shoving it down my throat. I sit here explaining myself to people for no good reason other than to set a good example to our younger players. Learn everything you can and employ it when you need to. Even then, some days, it just won't be enough. If it really gets that bad, withdraw politely if you think you're getting hot under the collar without an escape. It truly is a better option for everyone.

To answer your question Peter, I have used use a relaxed fingertip span with 1/2" reverse in the fingers since about 1989. I get more revs with a conventional grip and less speed. (Hangs on my hand too long. Tried that one in the 80's.) And static weights are less than 5% of reaction. It's in the USBC Ball Motion Study released a while back.

Let's get this thread back to the tournament results. Good luck tomorrow folks. Bowl well.

Cheers,
Jason

p.s. Thanks Tyson and Jim for standing up for me. :)

hi jason,
i respect you & your comments but knocking the tournament publicly does not help, you are a very good ball driller & a good coach but you should know polishing up a high friction ball will only delay the hook & make it more aggressive on the backend i still maintain lower friction ball with the weights i suggested & learning to stay behind the ball(a ball will not hook unless you impart side revs)will help

Back
Top Bottom