2010 Schweppes Melbourne Tenpin Cup - Scores

Phluff

Oz Tenpin Narre Waren will be updating the scores as they come in.

Good Luck to everyone taking part this weekend!

What's happening ? Why have two dropped out, and others ( like George ) not bowled? And what's with all the 150s and 160s ?

I'm confused ! No!!! It's Not a permanent state, sometimes I'm quite lucid.

George missed his flight and bowls today. I dropped out because once you're hard against the ball return and need to make a big move left, well, you're flat out of luck. The pattern isn't what it's supposed to be, going by the tapes. It's about 3/8 down on volume, making it really high friction, reverse blocked and bloody ugly, hence the loooooow scores. Just boarded a plane going home as I write this and my room mates are jealous. Cheers,Jason

Now I'm confused.

Why is it that when the going gets tough, some quit?

Yes the scores are low, however it wouldn't be the only time a pattern plays different to whats advertised. I would imagine in this instance it would not be just one solitary bowler making big moves to the left....I would imagine the higher rev-rate bowlers would be making the same moves. Bowlers like Castle, Cow, Walshy, even the two-hander Hinton seem to have done well.

I can't comment too much on this, I can only base comments on results seen thus far. What I would like to know, however, is.....is it that bad that people have to give up?

Hey, people pay their entry, and start in the Comp, and leave their entry fees in, there's lots of reasons why someone may choose not to continue. If it does'n't disadvantage other competitors - leave them be. This type of Comp is not a team sport.

MT, I'm with you on this one... I'm confused too!

The way I see it is that no bowler (whoever they may be) is ever defeated by a pattern, but rather their own inability to be versatile enough to cope with it.

I (amongst many others) was very diappointed to witness the withdrawals. It did not set a good example for the younger bowlers and was a poor reflection on us as a nation to the international entrants.

To Jimcross and your comment If it does'n't disadvantage other competitors - leave them be. you have to remember that withdrawaing for no good reason mid-squad can have an affect on the other bowlers on that pair. The bowlers left behind can have their pace and rhythm affected by the sudden and unexpected change.

If you enter a tournament then you are committing to a certain number of games. If you aren't bowling well or the pattern is cruel then swallow your pride (and ego), suck it up and see it through. Before you have a sook and withdraw, think about the example you are setting for the younger bowlers and/or disappointing those in the crowd that might have travelled to the alley just to watch YOU bowl.

Funny but i thought these types of tournaments should be hard !!! Sounds like someone pulled a heart muscle to me !

Sorry I'm confused too

Nothing personal Jase BUT

A few weeks ago people on here where complaining oil patterns where getting to easy
Now someone withdraws from a major event because the oil patten was to hard???

Other competitors where bowling the same conditions weren't they??

Bloody Hell - I didn't mean to start some moralistic debate. I enjoy keeping up to date on scoring in Tournaments. Specially since I've had to endure an enforced lay-off for a few months.
The scoring patterns were VERY unusual, so I asked the question. Thanks Jason for the info. That would have been a good end to the matter.
I didn't express myself well when I said "there's lots of reasons why someone may choose not to continue". What I meant was that anyone's reason was OK. You don't, or should'nt, require someone else's approval. Maybe we could institute a procedure to obtain a " Licence to Withdraw", having obtained the approval of our peers?

You can climb down from your high horses, any time you like, now.
You have my permissiom. ( but you'd better check with everyone else first, in case someone doesn't approve.)

Back
Top Bottom