2007 SA National Youth Team Challenge - Nominations now open

JoSpencer

Attention all Youth and Junior Bowlers
Please find attached details for the 2007 SA National Youth Team Challenge Trials which will be incorporated into the Under 23 Classic Event to be held at
Village Bowl on 12th and 13th August.
Attached is the Bowlers Nomination form, Tournament Details (Bio), Player Agreement, and an Estimated Budget of expenses.
Nominations close on August 10th 2006.

Please also note, as per the updated TBA Rule, this team is now open to all Junior and Youth bowlers.
Nominations for Manager and Coach are now also open, please find all information on the attached nomination form for Managers / Coaches.
Regards
Jo

PLEASE NOTE -
Nomination Fee is $20.00 for the Youth Trials, not $60 as quoted in the nomination form. Sorry for the oversight! Will post a new nomination form once I get it corrected.
Thanks
Jo

UPDATED NOMINATION FORM WITH CORRECT FEE ATTACHED!

Sorry for any confusion that may have been caused!

Regards

Jo

Interesting format in deciding a state team solely based upon how they bowl on one day at one centre on one condition at one time just wondering if anyone can clarify as to why this method has been decided upon to determine the Youth team??

Obviously on a personal note I don't like the format.
- If the state is trying to get the "best" bowlers into the team I'm not sure how the results in one tournament is the best determinant.
- If the trials have been incorporated into the tournament because the state did not want to bowl them the same time as shield trials to enable juniors to be eligible I don't know why the juniors could not have made a choice - shield or youth (as has been the case with DeVeer/Rachuig trials the past few years)
- If it costs the state to much to run a separate trial for Youth then why not just adopt total selection or have all nominants (don't know if that's a word) roll dice and the four highest rolls from male and female divisions make the team.

I'm not trying to be offensive just curious as to why the Youth trials have been scrapped and incorporated into the tournament.

Thanks,
Bobba

i completely agree with bobba's comments. i think the idea to incorporate the two is crazy! the U23 classic is a NATIONAL event. there will be as many interstate bowlers as local ones competiting. i hardly think it fair for us bowlers wanting to compete. its hard enough trying to beat all the visitors and make a cut in a national event without the added pressure of making a youth team. Youth trials are u23 classic should be completely separate as teh motives for entry are separate. As bobba mentioned, finding the best youth bowlers should be done over multiple conditions at multiple centres. How can you expect the best team to qualify if they have to bowl at 1 centre on 1 day on a condition that is unique to U23's.

also, many junior/youth bowlers will struggle to afford the cost of U23's. thats the beauty of rachuig/deveer trials..its affordable for anyone to have a go.

i myself HAD every intention of making youth team this year. as did many bowlers from my home centre. i myself WILL be a part of the under 23's but not youth team anymore. simply out of principle. and im not the only one who thinks this is a wrong step. it was only tonight i learnt of a fellow bowler not competing who was going to before this idea was announced.

i realise i am hardly known in the bowling world, and i have very limited results to build my status up yet. but i hope some people who do have opinions that may matter (such as bobba) have the nerve to comment on this and get this changed.

Hi Guys I have nothing to do with under 23's now as I am just a few years to old ........ but i think that maybe giving the state manager a call to enquire why the trials were scrapped and incorporated into the tourney you will get some answers.

I am not sure how many roll off for youth but maybe in the past the numbers have not been great and maybe this is why it was changed for this year to see if it will help numbers at all ? again just an assumption .

Just my point of view good luck to both of you in the tourney I wish you both the best:cool: :D

Tash said:
Hi Guys I have nothing to do with under 23's now as I am just a few years to old ........ but i think that maybe giving the state manager a call to enquire why the trials were scrapped and incorporated into the tourney you will get some answers.
I am not sure how many roll off for youth but maybe in the past the numbers have not been great and maybe this is why it was changed for this year to see if it will help numbers at all ? again just an assumption .
Just my point of view good luck to both of you in the tourney I wish you both the best:cool: :D

Like Tash said, Im a few years to old also, it might be because of numbers in the past, it might be to keep cost to bowlers down so your not having extra expenses of $100 or $150 to fork out on seperate trials.

Just another thought, maybe Rachuig teams can be run using the same format selecting the teams from the highest placed finishers in the S.A. Cup in Janurary each year for men & the womens Adelaide Cup for women.

Would allow more time for fund raising & free up another weekend fooorrr possibly training for example.
THAT WAS A JOKE IN CASE NOBODY GOT IT.

Rob C.

Your too old robbie, good idea robbie maybe they should incorporate the president shield trials into this tourney as well............
should free up even more weekends.............
Your not just a pretty face robbie........
come to think of it your not.!!!

cheers

Tony

I just like to agree with Rob.

Holding trials in conjunction with tournaments is a good idea. Saves bowlers some money, it frees up weekends and tournaments are then well supported. Then if the tournament was well supported tournament organisers could (hopefully) get more sponsors and lead to bigger and better prize funds.

Pete said:
there will be as many interstate bowlers as local ones competiting. i hardly think it fair for us bowlers wanting to compete. its hard enough trying to beat all the visitors and make a cut in a national event without the added pressure of making a youth team.

How can you expect the best team to qualify if they have to bowl at 1 centre on 1 day on a condition that is unique to U23's.

it was only tonight i learnt of a fellow bowler not competing who was going to before this idea was announced.

I think it is a great idea for several reasons
1. cost effectiveness
b. time effectiveness, particularly for volunteers like scorers, organisers, manager and coaches
3. a true test of a bowler's ability and adaptability. If one can't compete in a tournament at a satisfactory level against likely opposition, what hope has he/she really got at the titles?

One thing that has always amazed me about our sport is why we give allowances for mediocrity, why do we allow people to attempt multiple qualifying for one event, ie scores not good enough, pay another entry fee and go again............can Australia now pay another entry fee and attempt to qualify again for the World Cup final eight? can Mark Phillipousis pay again and re-enter Wimbledon? It should be one attempt, if you are good enough you go through, if not good enough, either go home or watch those who are.

Why is that bowler not competing Pete? Wants to be a big fish in a little pond or realises he/she really isn't competitive?

Max

I agree that having qualifying for the Youth Team held in conjunction with this tournament is a good idea, especially given that the Youth Challenge is not a matchplay event.

HOWEVER.......

I believe that Rachuig and Shield should continue to have a roll off with matchplay (at least while selection is not an option) to show who the better matchplay players are, because these events are played with a matchplay format. Some people can be the greatest qualifiers in the world, but can't win a matchplay match to save their lives.

So for me, its a bit each way. Fine to do it this way for the Youth Challenge team, but definitely not for Rachuig or Presidents Shield.

I now leave myself open to be howled down, smashed and otherwise have abuse hurled at me.............:splat: :2gunfire: :2gunfire: :snipersm:

Hey max! good to see some quality rebuttal!!! however, that bowler would have been quite competitive! and has made a scratch state team in the past. his thinking is the same as mine, that they should be separate and like me doesnt want to take part out of principle. Also, he never had any intention of bowling U23's at all but he did definately want to go in youth trials. He would now have to pay $205 and enter a tourney he doesnt want to enter just to roll off! how pointless...

Also, how is it a true test of ability when bowling on one condition?? no-one knows what the condition would be like at the actual youth event so wouldnt it be better to test bowlers over a variety of conditions? hell..even de veer rolloffs are over several conditions and thats not even a scratch format! (no offense to de veer..i owe a lot to my time in that team)

Finally, bowlers in youth wont even know who they are bowling against! some bowlers will register for youth others wont. okay, i know...you should bowl your own game and not worry about the rest, but the reality is that people prefer to know who they are up against and where they stand. pretty hard this...especially when there will be like 70 bowlers around you that arent going for the SA youth team....
just my opinion. i know it aint worth much yet!! lol!

Cheers
Peter Oliver

Pete said:
Also, how is it a true test of ability when bowling on one condition??

G'day Pete

This is exactly what I mean mate............one condition for all competitors shows the bowler's ability and adaptability. You can't get much a much more even playing field than that.

Regards.....Max

Everyone has a right to their opinion Brenton, i'm sure the bullet wounds will heal LOL :D I agree with you, as well as with parts of what Max said.

As Shield and Rachuig/DeVeer events are decided by a match play scenario, i believe the roll off/qualifying should also be a match play scenario, some bowlers handle the head-to-head situation better than others....

As for Youth, I think it should be a roll off, whether it be over one or more days shouldn't matter, perhaps a 12 game shootout (seeing that's what U23's uses to qualify for the cut), consisting of bowling on a combination of short/long patterns, 12 games should be able to average out one's ability, regardless of how bad a start one might have.

Just my two cents worth, if anybody's interested in hearing it.... ;)

Michael Tran

I will say even though a bit of a joke before saying the combinations of joining all tourneys to save on time and money could be a possibillity, I also dont believe of putting any team trials in with a tournament because of the situation even thou there is qualifying and head to head in the under 23's......same as any team roll off trials (except seniors).

I use to like the trials where you had a least 3 days qualifying (min 24 games) and then cut to the top 20 for matchplay. I know cost and the fact of lack of support these days is a contibuting factor which won't let this happen.

Interesting though

cheers

Tony

:cool: Reminder that Nominations for the Youth Team close next Thursday, 10th August.

There are a number of eligible bowlers who have registered for the Under 23 Classic Event that have not submitted an entry for the Youth Team.

Don't miss out!

Jo

Back
Top Bottom