2006 TBAQ SOUTH QUEENSLAND SENIORS MASTERS

bm2

I'm still standin'
For those senior bowlers out there looking forward to competing in the Sth Qld State Championships, and qualifying for the Seniors masters, there have been some changes made to this years competition that you should be aware of......:(

This years Senior Masters will not be run with the rest of the TBAQ State championships. The event has been handed to the ATBSO, and is to be run in conjunction with their state championships being held over the following 2 weekends. To compete, you need to be a paid member of the ATBSO, and have completed an all events entry in the State champs this long weekend at Aspley bowl. Masters will be held the following weekend, again at Aspley.

The winner of the SQ Senior Masters will be the HIGHEST PLACED 50+ year old after completion of the masters, and will be accorded the paid spot in Tasmania for the TBA Seniors Cup, and state shirt etc. So, in effect, you could compete in the event, get beaten by 4 ATBSO bowlers aged between 45-49, and still be declared the SQ Senior champion.......:rolleyes:

As Jagga is one of the defending champions from last year, we were afforded a courtesy call from a TBAQ board member advising us of the above mentioned changes to the event. We are still awaiting clarification from TBAQ regarding allocation of the DC's "spot" in the 2006 event (per the entry form last year). I think that it is a sad indictment on the state of Seniors bowling that there has been no publicity regarding this change - it does affect a fair range of people, especially those senior bowlers who, for whatever reason, are not members of ATBSO, but are simply league bowlers who have competed in the event at States in its original format for many years.

To those who are fortunate enough to be able to compete - best of luck to you all.

Broni:cool:

Do you know why the change Broni?

Seems a bit odd to do it that way, especialy without any publicity!!!! How was it done last year??? Who forced the changes???

Jase..

I think that the change has come about more than likely because of the lack of competitors .....last year there were only 2 ladies and about 7 or 8 men, and perhaps the state body felt it wasn't worth running. It should be noted tho, that last year, the seniors masters was held on the same day as an ATBSO event.

I am not questioning why the change, associations gotta do what they have to do, but I do feel that the lack of publicity will hurt! I have contacted TBAQ with my thoughts about the publicity (or lack thereof) via this forum, but didn't receive a response.

Personally ( and these are my own thoughts, and not those of my husband) I think that it is one thing to say to a bowler, you must complete an all events entry to be eligible/qualify for masters, and totally another to then move the goal posts and "restrict" the field to members of a separate organisation, which is what will happen this year - you must be an atbso member to compete in the championships.

bm2 said:
Jase..
I am not questioning why the change, associations gotta do what they have to do, but I do feel that the lack of publicity will hurt!
Yes fully agree 110%

ATBSOQ was approached by TBAQ and asked if we would consider incorporating their Veterans Masters with ours, as their event was hardly
able to be called competitive, due to lack of support from the bowling fraternity. A meeting was convened by ATBSOQ executive committee and the
proposal was discussed, thrown around, discussed some more, and then
decided to go along with, albeit, with provisos that all ATBSOQ requirements
would have to be adhered to, the same as our members. TBAQ accepted our terms and agreed that we would incorporate their event into our Masters.
TBAQ and ATBSOQ both agree that we will cop some flak and I for one will
lead with my chin, as I think that finally a step in the right direction for the sport has been made, even though the short time frame available for the
information to be digested. As TBAQ have made several compromises to assure this goes ahead, I have also made a compromise on behalf of ATBSOQ
in that providing the def champs pay memberships, we will invite them to
defend their titles at our Masters. We will not expect them to bowl all events
at our championships this weekend. However, it is required that they bowl A
state all events, so this year they will have a choice of 2. This has all been
started, chewed over, agreed to, and is now in the final stages of being
formalised, and all in a rather short time, so yes, there is probably going to
be some surprise, anger, disbelief, at all these happenings. As I said, I belive
this is a positive move by both organisations for the common good of our
sport, and it is the task of all bowlers and administrators to do whatever they
can to grow our sport.
Lawrie Hill
President - Australian Tenpin Bowling Seniors Organisation Queensland

Back
Top Bottom