2006 Melbourne Tenpin Cup / Female Division

E

edfleminglanes

A quick note to all our Scratch Female bowlers thru-out Australia and New Zealand. Ed Fleming Lanes are looking at having a seperate Female division at next years MTC and would like some feed back from you the bowlers as what will entice you to travel to Melbourne and bowl in our event. The idea would bethat all entrants would qualify along with the males and then cut to 12 -15 top females to contest a match play similiar to the males. First prize at this stage would be around $1000.00 plus aprox $3000.00 worth of Diamonds (courtesy of Australian Diamond Company). At this stage we are looking at 16 games qualifying plus match play and an entry fee between $250.00 - $325.00. Obviously for you the bowlers to travel from NT, WA, Queensland or anywhere else we need to show a decent prize fund for you the bowler to compete for. I would love to have your thoughts and suggestions as we are in the process of getting our entry forms together and would like to get them out very early in the new year. There are not too many majors for female bowlers in Australia and we at Ed Fleming Lanes are prepared to change that with a Major event plus decent prize fund and prizes.
So if you have any suggestions or Ideas (all are welcomed) just e-mail us and lets start working together for the betterment of Female Tournament Bowling in Australia. :cool:

Hi

I would definitely bowl the tournament if there was a Female division. I was going to bowl this year but my form wasn't all that great!

I think having a separate Female division would entice more bowlers to participate. Knowing that the girls are up against the boys does stop alot of female bowlers having a go.

It is definately a great idea and I will be there with bells on!!

Kyles

No there will not be thats why thay said to all scratch female bowlers CAN YOU NOT READ

How about working something out with the entry fee for those who travel interstate.
Off the cuff,
Something like .05c per kilometre travelled off the entry fee. So if you travel 500 Kms to get there you get a discount of $25.00 and if you travel 2000Kms you get $100 off. Maybe just a reduced rate accross the board for "interstate" travellers. You could maybe even try what the Perth Cup did this year. They had a 185 and under average bowler paying $100 less. You could of course make the 185 higher or lower as you would see fit. Just a couple of thoughts for you and I hope all goes well for next year.
Stax

Just wondering what month of 2006 is proposed? There are a couple of us here in FNQ that would like to travel to a few ladies events next year to gain experience. The two biggest considerations for us are the time of year and also the costs as we are at the bottom end of the scratch scale so to speak so entry fees are a big consideration.

Ice said:
Just wondering what month of 2006 is proposed? There are a couple of us here in FNQ that would like to travel to a few ladies events next year to gain experience. The two biggest considerations for us are the time of year and also the costs as we are at the bottom end of the scratch scale so to speak so entry fees are a big consideration.

Ice, Melbourne Tenpin Cup is usually held Queens Birthday long Weekend. You also have the Vic 150 over Easter long weekend in Melbourne, Queensland Ladies Classic at end of June in Brissy, and I think the SA Cup (ladies) is end of January.

I like the idea of reduced entry based on verified averages - those of us, like Ice said, at the bottom end of the average scale, like to bowl for the experience, but just cannot justify throwing away $300 for an entry into an event. QLC is usually only about $175, and (from memory) I paid $180 for Vic 150 this year - and didn't mind paying that amount for the experience I got. ;)

Mind you, the diamond prize for MTC could be worth the entry money.....Kate's little sparkler is a beauty :)

JMHLO

Broni :cool:

Hey Joe,

I love the idea of a seperate division.
I bowled in the Melbourne Cup this year & was lucky enough to make the Top 4 Females to roll off for the Diamond Ring. Kate Wilton was just too good on the day & won the ring.
I hope that you can get enough feedback to be able to hold a seperate division. Its definately a big task to make the cut against the men in the Melbourne Cup & at the same time a great experience, but it would also be nice to have a fairer playing field against the women.
Good Luck with it Joe.

Jenny ;)

Thanks for that info Broni. Shame....That is usually our Intercity weekend. This year both Burdekin Open and Suncity Open have offered 1/2 price entry for those with averages 170 and under which was a deciding factor for some of us as to whether or not we went. It's a great idea i think.

Hey Joe , that idea sounds great , Id be lookin at coming over for sure then

cheers Tash Billing

Just a question out of curiosity more than anything!

Would this mean there was a straight Mens & Womens division for the tournament? Like say the South Pacific OR would there be an 'Open' division and a Womens division?

I guess what I'm getting at, while it's great to be encouraging more female entries, what happens if some of the elite female bowlers around the country still want to enter the 'main draw'. They may want to do this as they feel confident they can match it with the guys and it means they are playing for a larger prizefund due to greater entry numbers (presumably).

I think it would also entice more youth females to bowl as well. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there weren't many last year. It would help the number of females, as I'm sure there are a few Victorian youth females who would be willing to give it a go.

Sounds like a really good idea, hope it all works out

Back
Top Bottom