Female division

gwhiting

Observer
There is a growing trend with youth events that there is no female division. So far this year the SA Youth Open and Melbourne Youth Cup are combined. This makes it hard for the females to make the cut.

This could result in less females bowling these touraments and then the total bowling numbers are down.

There are female bowlers out there who are more than capable of making the cuts but out of 16 bowlers there would probably be only 3-4 who make it.

Most other sports such as tennis, golf, hockey have separate divisions.

It's a matter of numbers.

If there were enough girls participating there would be separate divisions, generally.

Even with the adults, the womens divisions are tending to be combined a lot. There's just not enough of an event if you only get ten female entrants.

Your girls need to bring their friends along more often, then there'd be a girls division!

If I may suggest, let's turn this thread into something constructive.

Let's hear from the female bowlers who don't bowl events; why not? What can we do to get you into our events?

I will give an example of a situation I have witnessed over the years. There was this tournament where there was a mens and womens division. There were about 30 men and only 3 women.

1st place in each division took home the same prizemoney!

Ie. the mens champion had to beat 29 other bowlers to claim their prize but the womens champion only had to beat two. Not to mention the prize pool for each division would have been dramatically different.

This may be an example of why the divisions sometimes combine...

When you have to part with around $1000.00 just to get to a tournament with a slim chance of making the cut, it is a bit hard to even consider entering a combined tournament.:(
Sue.

Melbourne Cup.
2006 Woman’s Division, hardly any entries.
2007 Scrapped Woman’s Division, Nothing but criticism.
2008 Woman’s Division, hardly any entries.

How do you want it? If you don't have one, people complain. When you do, no one turns up. What would you do????????

what would the womens responses be in tournaments if the prize fund pay out was proportional to numbers competing.

Would you agree that its fair that if there were 100 males and 50 females and 2 divisions that the female payouts for all placings were half of what the males received

It doesnt matter about prize money or starts or anything else. Those factors won't make any difference.

The fact is that there are not enough women bowlers and although this thread is about women not bowling tournaments, its not just tournaments where this occurs.

Local, Regional and even State teams have difficulty in persuading enough women to participate.

I dont know what the answer is, but until we can attract more women to the sport the problem will continue.

Retention rates from Juniors to Youth seems to be low, and from Youth to Adult as well.

Maybe it's a reflection that the girls can find something better to do with their time, go to uni, whatever, and we men generally can't be bothered doing anything else so we keep bowling.

Or "dad" is happy to buy a new ball, but "mum" gives it away in sacrifice...

I was considering going to both SA & Melbourne youth. But flights for SA were going to be at least $500 for me. Not having female division just makes it even harder to cut and would probably be pointless for me going.

Youth tournaments seem to be getting stronger with both division. Ive already bowled a few this year and there was no fail there.

Everyone has made valid points in there comments above and everyone had identifed holes in the system.
When you look at what happened to the PWBA overseas the women had no choice but to try and cut it with the guys and when you look at some results the women have raised there scores and the bar for female competitions. Ladies want their own division and thats fair to compete against each other but the only way women will get better against the mean is to play them and raise there level as well.
The old saying applies if you can't beat them then join them and women will soon learn whats required in order to cut it with the men.

Its not about revs or having huge shots cos there are men out there that are simple yet effective players so what makes women any more special. I am a female and loved playing against other women but there was always a sense of achievement when you played against the men and achieved a new level at the end of the tournament.

Just my thoughts and not meant to offend anyone but if there really is a trend in removing ladies divisions we just have to grin bear it and look to the future :) Who knows more good may come of it.

Back
Top Bottom