1/2 price entry....

boybrowny

Hi all,

Just wanted to bounce an idea off you all - a mate of mine from queensland (hi jase) told me that one of the regional scratch tournaments in Burdican was offering 1/2 price entry for anyone who had an average under 170 in an effort to attract a bigger field.

Has anything like this ever been tried (or even considered) for national events? It would certainly be a great way to encourage those bowlers who don't want to pay $300 knowing they wouldn't cash to participate...

What do you think?

cheers.

sounds like a good idea to me, i know myself theres times when you have to decide against entering tournaments because money is tight and you know your out of contention.

;)

Perth Cup this year tried something along these lines.

l think it $100 was off if your average below a certain amount, not exactly sure, but they had something along these lines.

Yes, the Burdekin Open had that and also Suncity Open (Townsville in November) is also offering $100 off entry. Both are Nationally ranked events and I too think it is a great idea to encourage new bowlers to have a go and gain experience in a major tournament.

Perth Cup this year was if you're a genuine 180ave and below bowler that was a Fairlanes league bowler, then you received half-price entry ($140).

It worked well this year. Hopefully they keep it for years to come

I can just see the controversy now.

180 average bowler bowls out of their ass to win a national tournament, the usuals bitch about it.....

Otherwise, sounds like a fantastic idea, if there is a way to control it....

tonx said:
I can just see the controversy now.
180 average bowler bowls out of their ass to win a national tournament, the usuals bitch about it.....
Otherwise, sounds like a fantastic idea, if there is a way to control it....

I might have to start sandbagging for DeVeer next year...

For both Burdekin Open and Suncity Open the cut off average is 170 which I think is fair. In all reality the chances of someone on a sub 170 ave winning is not very likely. Take into account this idea is not just to benefit the lower average bowler but also to increase the numbers and ultimately the available prize pool. Of course if a person on such an average got up and placed in the top three someone would whinge for sure but too bad! Those that whinge would be the same people who whinge about having the top 3 or 5 etc females automatically making the cut....happy to take their contribution to the prize pool but not happy to give them a little incentive to participate.

Back
Top Bottom