Wrist Locking

Easy Tiger

Hi all,

I bowl two handed, which is a handicap in itself. However, I have an occasional issue with my release (which for all intensive purposes, is just a standard cranker's release.. same hand position and movement, minus the thumb).

Every now and then, my right wrist will lock up completely as I go to rotate and release the ball. This happened again last night, when I was in the tenth frame and set for 231, on the second shot my wrist locked, and I basically just ended up lanuching it into the gutter at about 10 feet. I ended up with 210, but this isn't an isolated incident, and it's costing me pins, especially on tournament patterns which often require me to flatten out my wrist and throw an outside line.

A good example was Mt Gravatt Youth Cup a couple of months ago. I was throwing dead straight up 10 board two handed, and three times I threw a gutter ball on the first shot, when my wrist locked up and would not rotate. I missed the cut for that tournament by 10 pins. Had my wrist not locked, I would have placed well inside the cut with an extra 30-40 pins up my sleeve.

Does anyone else have this problem? Have you been able to fix it? Does anyone know of any way to stop it from happening? I have a fairly high developed one handed shot with a wristguard which does eliminate the problem, which is handy to have and may at some point be an option. However, I'm over 200 average two handed and have been for nearly two years now, have shot almost 800 for 3, a 298, etc, and it would be a shame to throw that hard work away.

If anybody has any suggestions or has a similar problem, it would be much appreciated if you could share what you have done to manage the issue.

Cheers.
Tim Reichel.

Hi Tim,
Will you be at K&K? I think this sounds like something that words alone can't describe effectively. I have a hunch or two, but would rather wait a week and discuss with you in person. Just ask around and you'll find me. Or look out for the ugly fella!
Cheers,
Jason

p.s. Clear some messages out mate! You're filled up when I PM'd you.

Are you able to do a video session, and see if somewhere during an entire practise session if it happens, we may get to see the problem?

Im having trouble visualising an actual WRIST rotating, let alone failing to rotate during a delivery due to it locking, maybe i'm just too tired atm? lol...

Awaiting your reply...

Regards
Tonx

Tonx.. it's a hard thing to explain. As I come through the release to apply direction and revs, usually it's fine. But occasionally my right wrist will not do anything, and yes does lock up. So I end up fudging the ball. Can't hit the ball, nothing.

Sure I'm willing to put up some vids, tell me a place where I can or how to do it and as soon as I can get some quality one's it is done.

Best of regards,
Tim.

Tim, I bowl 2 handed and have that problem sometimes... But for me it seems that it is because my other (top) hand is slightly in the wrong position which means the weight balance of the ball in my two hands is not what it usually is.

I've got a question for you though... Last night I was bowling well, hitting pocket nicely, etc... Then out of (seemingly) nowhere no matter what I tried to do to fix it, ball kept skidding and hook was reduced by about half. I tried holding it different, slowing down the shot, but nothing seemed to work. Happens occasionally but once it does its like that for the whole night. Just wonder if you've ever had that problem, or if you know how to fix it. :p

Steve,

Hi Steve,

Straight up it sounds like a carrydown issue, in that the oil has moved down the lane progressively with bowling on the pattern. To fix this, you could move inside where you were bowling earlier, and maybe even slow it down a bit, and hopefully avoid the carrydown oil, or maybe switch to a more aggressive coverstock which will hopefully react better off the carrydown. Some balls will just do nothing if there is carrydown, depending on the surface.

Try that and see how you go the next time you encounter that problem. Thanks for your advice too, Someone came up to me in league the other night and gave me some advice based on how he had seen me bowling when I had been scoring well and consistantly, and instantly things picked up for me (thanks Hamster!). I haven't had a problem since.

Cheers,
Tim.

Back
Top Bottom