Little finger, hand, wrist, ball, FEET - in that order

D

dejinshathe

A week ago I moved where my little finger sits on the ball, and my whole bowling style changed. That's not such a huge statment when you realise I've bowled less than 100 games in my life and I didn't really have a style to start with. Nevertheless, I've been bowling with a completely different hand-shape, which chaged how I hold my wrist, which has enabled me to be a lot more confident in my approach and release, which has made my ball faster. Up from say around 23kph to around 28.5kph. My accuracy has been a lot better - I'm hitting my target 6 to 7 shots of 10 - up from about 3 shots of 10.

So I'm happy with that. Beauty bonza, my last two games only had two open frames in them each, I'm shooting 20-30 pins a game higher. wØØt!

On to the feet.

I have no stability at the foul line now. I was pretty-much planting before now - maybe sliding 4 inches to the line (maybe 2 - not much slide). Now I'm moving up so much more quickly (it feels like) and my feet just don't know what to do. I fall off just about every shot. Sometimes I'm in danger of fouling. I've moved back about 6 inches on the approach, but it doesn't seem to have made a lot of difference. Do I need to go back further? Do I need to change the way I'm stepping, sliding (I'm really not sure I know how to slide), length of step ... yeah help?

Now you're moving faster, it will be a pinch harder to hit the line as firmly as before, as you have to pull up from that faster speed.

Never having seen you bowl, this is just a piece of good technique everyone can use and maybe it will help your situation. Try keeping your hips forward as you get to the line, this will make your lower back straighter and should therefore plant your weight straighter down into the approach. (Feels like sitting up straighter in a chair.) It does mean you need to use your knees a bit more to get down.

Good luck.
Jason

What is a good technique's in playing bowling, I mean aside from the proper posture and weight balance; Is their could be more?

Back
Top Bottom