two handed bowling

T

Troy

The other night i had a stuffed wrist and because of this i started bowling two handed (i.e. no thumb in ball) as it was a hell of a lot easier on my wrist.

I like this style of bowling and was wondering what peoples thoughts on it are. Like the pros and cons. Also, the opinion of someone who has bowled normally and turned too two handed, or vise-versa would be much appreciated.

Also, was just wondering what the rule is on putting your thumb back in the ball. For example if you leave a 10 pin can you put your thumb in the ball for the spare.

Any help/opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou,
Troy

From the TBA rule book (v. 6.0):
RULE 603 DRILLING SPECIFICATIONS
Holes
The following limitations will govern the drilling of holes in the ball:
1. Holes or indentations, not to exceed five (5), for gripping purposes.
2. One hole for balance purposes not to exceed 1 1/4 inch in diameter.
3. No more than one (1) vent hole to each finger and/or thumb hole not to exceed 1/4 inch in diameter.
4. One mill hole for inspection purposes not to exceed 5/8 inch in diameter and 1/8 inch in depth.
Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole. However, when delivering a ball that
has a thumb hole drilled, the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumb hole.
It may not be 180 degrees away
from the thumb hole. If a bowler delivers a ball and did not have his/her thumb as defined, the ball will be deemed
illegal for that delivery and pins knocked down with that delivery will not be counted.

i bowl 2 handed for fun, i can tell ya it takes practice and i mean alot of practice, i have been told by a couple of 2 handed bowlers, not to go 2 handed, the reason i was because i have a nerve problem with something to do with my thumb, and i have this huge lumb on my thumb, but i got told to keep bowling 1 handed unless i really have to so yeh, so i am still bowling 1 handed in league and tournys,

i am off Brett

G'day Troy.

Mate to actually answer the question you asked about leaving the thumb out for a normal delivery, and putting it back in to spare something like the 10pin - that is perfectly legal. If the ball is delivered on the right hand side of the body (as an example), you are deemed to be bowling right handed. For the purposes of rulings this is deemed to be the same as bowling one handed right handed (as an example. Same concept left handed). There is no rule dictating that that the thumb must be left in or out. Therefore, you can swap between one and two handed deliveries at any time within a game or series of games. The only thing you can't do is swap between left and right handed, and even that only applies to events involving handicap. In a scratch event you can do whatever you want, bowling backwards between your legs if you really want to.

Bowling two handed doesn't come easy. It can save your wrist, but it can be frustrating to master. 14 months ago I swapped from one handed to two handed. My average has gone from 183 one handed, to 204 and 202 in two different leagues (and 221 in another if you count subbing), shot a 298 and a 787. I did it because of the same problem as you, the wrist.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's a bit of a tough road to choose if you do, and stacks of practice will be required, and then of course there's the rumours that your back will collapse in 3 months :)

Tim Reichel.

hi guys,

I always thought there was something wrong with 2 handed bowling, something illegal, but the governing rules state you can do it, i could never control the ball so i dont do it, but jason belmonte does it thre best, All i can say is if it works enjoy it

Tim, I watched you on Sunday using the 2 handed delivery and it looks so awkward to me, but damn if you didn't put down some awesome shots. It's something I've never considered doing, but all this talk about it being easier on the wrist has me intrigued. I'd like to spend some time with you on the lanes one day and discuss the technique.

Everyone is saying its easier on the wrist but what about other parts of the body?

Looks pretty hard on the back:confused:

*'TOPHER* said:
Everyone is saying its easier on the wrist but what about other parts of the body?
Looks pretty hard on the back:confused:

What did I tell you. You haven't even started and already there's rumours! :D

Peter mate I'd be more than willing to help and discuss it. To me the only thing that's awkward is the ball returns in AMF centres :) If you're around drop into Aspley on a Tuesday night at 8:30. Although this season there is only one week to go. But after yet another 276 this week I'm feeling good for a 300 to finish the year ;) Feel free to drop in sometime.

I'll be there tonight to hassle the big 3. Their biggest fan insists on going. Next Tuesday is a real possibility. Thanks Tim.

Thanks everyone for the help thus far, it is much appreciated.

Bowled two handed last night in league as i could hardly bowl a normal delivery because of my wrist. Bowled 14?, 169, 169, 15?, which i think wasnt bad for my first outing, i suppose it is similar to when you first bowl fingertip. Also, I missed a couple of spares on rh side when i put my thumb back in the ball, which i obviously cant blame on this style (stupid wrist), and threw a few gutters, including one after a double :-x .

I do like this style, especially the hitting power. Gonna keep it up at least until my wrist is better and then see how i go from there.

And yes it would be good to hear Belmo's opinion on this (hint, hint) :D .

Thanks everyone once again,
Troy

I just switched to two handed after mucking about a bit occasionally, and i tell you what, whoever said something about your back... phwoar i feel ya. lol. but i find that i have more (yes more) control than when i was bowling one, so it's all good mate.

it is a lot harder on the back, most particular the lumbar spine and supporting muscles like the psoas and abdominal muscles. Ask belmo, he has had his share of back troubles over the years, sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge to stay loose. Its mainly due to the angle of the body in relation to the amount of weight in front of you, plus the rotation of the torso. Good technique and development is the only thing that is going to save you from back injuries, the movement of the torso is very similar to what golfers go through with the twisting of the torso and the leverage developed by the upper body. If you plan to take it up long term i suggest you speak to a sports therapist and have them develop an exercise routine to strengthen the area (in particular the muscles i mentioned above). Its not so much just loading up the muscles with weight to build them up, but its lengthening them through resistance training which is the key.

Your back isnt going to suddenly collapse from under you, however if you have weak muscle tone and development in these areas it will show up and can result in an injury (obviously this is going to differ from person to person mainly due to their lifestyle). Usually tight muscles and spasms are the first signs that things arent quite right, if you encounter a tightness in the area or if the muscle contracts tightly and you cant hold your weight properly when bending forward from the hips (thats usually a sign of a spasm when the muscle contracts to restrict movement to the area so you dont damage something), cease bowling and seek the help of a therapist.

In the long run, strengthening of the area is only going to help your posture and aide in your balance and stability at the foul line. Last thing you want is back problems as a 20 year old :)

edit: dont laugh but yoga actually has some specific exercises that target this area, if doing a bunch of traditional exercises by yourself doesnt interest you, join a decent class.

i found two handed bowling specially without thumb revs the ball much much more. it is difficult to control it but well....practise practise practise.....
back problem maybe considered for some people...but if you have quite sporty body...that's nothing to worry about your back...same thing that if you bowling with one hand and your backswing up high then you will have back problem too....

high backswing and 45 degree of your back is recomended in the modern game of Sid Allen. not only that....open shoulder also recomended. this modern game would not exist if it will just make your back injured....

i think...just go for it for 2 handed bowling if you really enjoy it...have fun

opening and closing of the shoulders is nothing new, thats been going on since day dot, that generally does not generate the torso rotation found when bowling 2 handed though.

A sporty body isnt good enough, it is possible to be slim with developed abdominal muscles while other areas are neglected. You can quite often tell how developed areas are by a persons posture. Psoas muscles run the length of your lower spine and help with stability and movement of the lower extremities, unless you utilise these muscles in your daily life they are generally undeveloped.

I hate to break it to you but the "modern" game lives with back injuries, there are quite a few current professional bowlers who have encountered back problems at some stage of their career. You have to remember, that people like this pretty much always have a fitness program of some sort developed for them, you will even find it evident within our top bowlers in this country too. They develop areas of their bodies in an effort to improve their games and reduce the risk of injury (and with good reason too). Compared to the league bowler who might bowl 2 or 3 times a week at the most, it is a vast contrast between conditioning.

You speak about the "modern game" a bit, well if you do a little more reading you will see that the modern game is one that pushes the importance of conditioning and training as part of your development.

Back
Top Bottom