Which ball for me?

W

whoisJR

Hey guys ... I know this question is asked all the time, but I was wondering which bowling ball would be suited for me. I have been suggested almost every type of ball from Proactive to Reactive and even Plastic Balls.
I would really like a ball I can call my own, but before I do this I would like some hints as to what sort of ball I should purchase.
I currently am bowling with a 12lb in house ball at AMF (Southgate), and I bowl a very straight line. I have been suggested that I purchase a Columbia U-Turn, the Brunkswick Nemisis, or even the soon to be released Columbia Dr. Jekyll.
Any suggestions, hints, tips, or balls which would be good as a first ball purchase, please throw my way. thanks, JR

There are some more expensive balls in there than what i would be willing to pay for my first ball! If i was you, i would be lookin at gettin a entry level ball, reactive coverstock, fairly simple weight block. And this may come to a suprise to some:p , but i would strongly recommend Ebonite's Black Ice. It may be an entry level ball, but has the potential to be a lethal weapon on the lanes, and i know from experience, this ball worked on a wide range of conditions! Another thing u may what to look into, is what way the ball will be drilled, surely you wouldnt be bowling finger tip (your fingers into only the first knuckle) with a house ball, and therefore a change might be in order, otherwise there is no need to a top end ball such as the ones being suggested to you when your bowling conventinal (your fingers all the way into the ball up untill the second knuckle).

Most places, plastics cost between 100-130ish dollars, where an entry level ball, such as the black ice will only set you back 150 dollars, definately worth the investment! Look in the Bowling Gear Classifieds, and look at the bargins offered by Gavin at AMF Richlands, definately a good place to start!

I hope ive helped you out, and all the best in the future!

Hamish Rogers

Stuart Little said:
Another thing u may what to look into, is what way the ball will be drilled, surely you wouldnt be bowling finger tip (your fingers into only the first knuckle) with a house ball, and therefore a change might be in order, otherwise there is no need to a top end ball such as the ones being suggested to you when your bowling conventinal (your fingers all the way into the ball up untill the second knuckle).
I hope ive helped you out, and all the best in the future!
Hamish Rogers

It's strange you should say that; everyone I have spoken to believes I should start up finger tip bowling.... I didn't realise it made such a difference, so maybe I should try this. :D

WhoisJR, bowlers must evolve if they want to improve their game. Going finger tip is the next step in the evolution. You can hold the ball more comfortably because your hand will now cover more ball area than it previously did with the conventional drill. Finger tip also allows you to generate some decent revs on the ball because the drill allows you to get good lift on the ball when you're only inserted up to the first knuckle. Can't do that with a conventional drill. It will be no where near as effective.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking the bigger the hook the better the shot. This is not true. The ball hooks because of the revolutions a bowler applies to the ball. The reason you want good revs is to mix up the pins on impact thus increasing the chances of a strike and to change the angle of penetration into the pocket to carry the 5 pin also commonly known as the King Pin. Any pocket hit that leaves a 5 pin standing is not a good shot. You'll develope your shot as you go. It won't happen over night, but it will happen. If you're determined and committed enough it will happen sooner rather than later.

Hamish is also right when he said to contact Gavin. The man has been in the game for many, many years and really knows what he's talking about. He won't steer you wrong and takes great care to make sure you're happy and he won't rip you off. Whoever you ultimately go to, be sure to let them know this will be your first reactive ball and finger tip drill pattern. A good pro shop guy will teach you how to use the ball. Gavin is one of these guys.

Above all, don't be afraid to give it a go. The general rule of thumb is your game will get a little worse before it gets better simply because you're getting use to the new drill pattern, but when it does start to get better I promise you you'll be thrilled with the results. Practice, practice, practice. Don't be afraid to ask more experienced bowlers for help. Most are more than willing.

I know it can seem confusing, but it will all make sense when you are actually out on the lanes. Good luck to you and I'll be looking forward to hearing about the improvement in your game.

Hi whoisJR,

All the advice given is good and true, and definately worth looking into.

Another thing you may consider is purchasing a 2nd hand ball or two first, before buying your own new gear. By doing this, you can experiment a little without worrying about what it does to your brand new ball.

Most 2nd hand balls are fairly cheap, and if you look around you can pick yourself up a real bargain. Check the Classifieds section of this site and you'll see for yourself. I also have some gear that I am looking to offload, so feel free to PM me if you like. And if you do decide you wish to purchase a new ball, I can help you out with any purchase, especially any Columbia ball.

Good luck with your game.
Tim Reichel.

Don't happen to have any second hand 15lb Rages or Outrages hanging around do you Tim? Old ball I know, but damn it if I didn't love them.

hey jr u should talk to ur pro shop guy who im assuming is bob. bob will look at ur bowling and suggest the right ball for you.

hamish has summed it all up for you. black ice is the best choice. unless u get a plastic and drill it finger tip. the black ice is cheap for such an awsome ball gavin at richlnads im sure would be able to work out something for you.

best of luck with your decision.

luke green

Back
Top Bottom