Where are tomorrow's female bowling stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

upyours

What has happened to our junior girl bowlers?
From the results I've seen over the past year I can truthfully say that the future of womens bowling in Australia does not look so good. With numerous scores under 450 for a three game block, our girls are just fooling themselves by thinking they have any true bowling talent.
I say to you...get yourself a full time coach and stop deceiving yourselves into thinking you're good. A good bowler will NOT bowl three putrid games in a row..anywhere on any condition!

When you're done crying, put in the hard yakka and prove me wrong.

Hey Dude

Hey Dude,
Ok, women bowling, lets discuss this topic. I dont live in Australia yet but from what ive seen, you have some broad talent brewing. I really ahve no idea who you are or where you come from, but i dun think its right for you just to blurt that out on this forum and dis all the women bowlers, you dont know all the gurl bowlers in Australia man. Give em a chance, you never know what kind of talent is out there. ESP here in the states, we have some amazing women bowlers, with great futures, and i dont even know half of em, you dun necessarily have to be noticed to be great, im a prime example of that :D:D:D haha, j/m. Just lay off of em dude, this is really the only game where guys and gurls are equal, and one day you will meet your match bud. Good luck and good bowling all! :):):)

There are still plenty of good junior girls left in australia. There are juniors like Bianca Flanagan (asian schools rep) Tracey Madden, Emma Tubb etc who bowl really well. Also all the girls in the shield teams bowl for fun, but also can bowl when it really matters (eg shield, tournaments), and dont string 450 series' all the time. You also have to understand that no one bowls good all the time, you have your bad weeks and u have ur good weeks, but when it comes down to it, some of these girls can really bowl.

And also noone bowls bad on purpose.

Later

Hey.

I have seen quite a lot of female bowling talent around and I would say that bowling has a huge future with some of the females coming through. There is some great talent out there, it will be on showcase at the Nationals if you wanna see it.

Anyways later peoples. :)

thanks murderdoll for your post.

upyours obviously your not game enough to post your real name. i too agree with timmee, upyours you should go to the nationals in Melbourne and see the young talent on show. so does that mean the gold medal won by the Australian schools team in Malaysia means nothing because to me it meant alot. i am not sure what you have based your opinion on but i dont think it is very qualified because there is a lot of young female talent around. you also seem to forget that in this age group we are going to school we are working part-time jobs and are very reliant on other people to to get us to coaching, leagues practice and tournaments, also logically sponsers are more likely to choose a guy over a girl every time it is a proven fact and this we have to live with.

so before you make judgements on junior female talent in Australia maybe you should get yourself to a few more tournaments in different states, and then maybe might be qualified to make these judgements

Just like you upyours this is MY opinion
Bianca Flanagan

well said bee

i dont think you have any right to go round saying stuff like that.. you will just get proven wrong..

as Bianca said get yourself down to the Junior Nationals and see for yourself the up and coming young girls in australia..
get your facts straight before opening your mouth..

well well well where do i start...

for starters if i got on here when i first started bowling and saw that writen i would give up bowling quick smart i wouldnt wanna have to put up with that... its people like you upyours that make kids give up bowling they dont need to listen to that they need encouragement like i coach some kids on a friday afternoon and yeah they are not ready to bowl shield or things like that but give em a couple of years they love coming down having a bowl with some friends and watching the shield team train had one of the girls come down to watch cara honeychurch at womens adelaide cup she loved it so i am getting them all to bowl our state champs they are all so excited bout it so you c upyours you need to think about these things before you start opening your mouth there is a hell of a lot of talent out there just open your eyes and have a look i think you should have a look at the nationals and some of the females and just how well they can bowl... i know i'll be making the trip over to watch everyone in action seeing im to old now :cry: so please make sure you have you facts straight before you open your mouth

cheers mel

I totally agree Mel, Bianca and Michelle,
I think that you should go down to the nationals this year in a couple of weeks and check out all the female talent from the different states.

As Mel said though, you dis beginner junior bowlers on here and say there no good etc. and you wonder why they stop bowling, with people like you upyours dis'ing them on forums.

Also quoting Bianca
"you also seem to forget that in this age group we are going to school we are working part-time jobs and are very reliant on other people to get us to coaching, leagues practice and tournaments, also logically sponsors are more likely to choose a guy over a girl every time it is a proven fact and this we have to live with."

Also some of the junior bowlers out there aren’t encouraged enough or don’t think that they are good enough to try out and bowl in tourney’s like shield and masters etc. Or just don't even know about the tournaments because they are not told.

People don't purposely go out there and try and roll low series such as 450's for a three game block.

Just remember that you were a young bowler once too and weren't always rolling 200 averages or what ever it is you average, and I’m sure that you have had a really off day and gone and bowled some bad series’ like 450's.

So maybe you should give some of the younger female bowlers out there a chance and not dis them until you know how every single one of them bowls and then you have the right to go and generalize and say:
Quote:
"From the results I've seen over the past year I can truthfully say that the future of women’s bowling in Australia does not look so good. With numerous scores under 450 for a three game block, our girls are just fooling themselves by thinking they have any true bowling talent. "

Cheers
Kelly :D 8)

I reckon were in pretty safe hands, plus the girls these days throw better shots than the junior guys used to throw in the old days(back when you got told off for winding it up!) Not many of them use that 'dainty' style from the 80's anymore.

Hey Peeps

Hey all,
Im just gonna go out on a limb here, i have to totally agree wtih all the above posts, especially Bianca's. This day and age, especially teens, were all really really busy with school, work, family, etc... Bowler's have many priorities, its not exactly the cheapest sport. Like myself and many other teens all over the world, i work for my bowling, not just in the game itself, but outisde of it so i can afford it. Here in the USA, bowling is very pricey, at this new alley htey jsut built, 6 dolalrs a pop, which is like 10 ux AUD. ITs getting expensive. In order to afford this, we have to work, not saying that i dont rely on my rents sometimes but who doesnt? Not to trail off the subject and sorts, dont mean to, but again, i must reinforce my above post, if your going to pass some silly judgment UPYOURS, please do study the game around more than your own, and dont make any snide remarks that might get you in this predicament. Thx. Good luck and good bowling everyone! :D:D:D

Well said man :wink: I'll just say this. I finished High School last year and did pretty well at school. Obviously I put a lot of effort into my studies. The way I see it, you CANNOT perform at the top of your abilty if you are studying that hard, plain and simple. When you are doing part time work as well it's even worse. I know that the very next time I went bowling after I finished school and from then on after, my bowling took off for a while because the pressure of the last few years was gone. Now I am back at Uni, and the very week I started Uni, my bowling went right down again and hasn't recovered yet. I know it will and probably very soon. But you have to ask what your priorities are...bowling or study/work?

That's just my opinion from experience and experience counts.

Later peoples. :)

One thing i think upyours indirectly brought up is the level of competition within the juniors. Iam not having a go here, nor am I attacking anyone (keep that in mind please). If you have a good look at the girls, you have the top percentage who are always up the top, you see them at the majority of tournaments and they win the majority of events (just as it should be if you are on top). Then there is a substancial gap when you step down to the bowlers who are on the fringe, but for what ever reason havent yet made the next step up. I think this is no more evident in the fact that more juniors are making the step up to adult competition earlier than years gone past (actually, now i think of it, this is indicative of all levels of competition within out sport).

I really cant comment on the situation (what with never being a female junior bowler :p) so i will ask a few questions to the girls in particular. The majority of the questions below pertain (relate) to regional competition, not so much on a national level.

Do you find it nesecary to compete in adult tournaments?

What is your motivation behind making the step up?(competition?, or possible lack of, prize money? exposure?).

Do you feel that you are disadvantaged if you do not participate in adult tournaments?

Would you participate in adult tournaments on a regular basis if you had the means todo so?

If so, would you choose to bowl the majority of your tournament bowling at an adult level rather than within junior competition?

Would you prefer another level of competition after juniors while making the transition into adult bowling? (a youth level)

Is there anything specific that you feel is lacking within tournament bowling as a female junior?

Now i think about it, any junior (or recent junior bowler who has progressed into adult) reguardless of sex can reply to those specific questions.

I think you can agree that the same situation really does carry over to the boys too. Personally i think it's great that juniors are participating in adult tournaments (and winning!), but i would hate to think that it is because something is lacking on the junior level. If this is the case, something needs to be done, bowling is a pressure situation and as such can have a negitive effect on some bowlers. I do think that as of late there have been a minute number cases where a junior bowler has been pushed to take their game to the next level only to have a damaging effect. These bowlers quite often have been turned away from the top level of competition (some have even quit), a loss of tallent which the sport really doesnt need.

If the regional situation is lacking so much so that a junior has to make the step up to adult competition early in order to continue their development of their game, then i think the issue really needs to be looked at. Junior bowling is the foundation of our sport, i agree with a few respected members of the bowling community, if bowling is to achieve the growth it desperatley needs, it is a long term goal that should start with the junior bowlers of this country.

To avoid brain overload ill leave it here, ive got more to add but iam interested to see some of the replies.

Now upyours, do you understand it more clearly now? Its true, if you want to see some great juniors in action, boys and girls, then do come to watch then junior nationals. If that isnt enough, watch the shield tournament, when things start to get alot more exciting. Bee is also exactly right, when the asian schools girls team won the gold medal, i think that must have been one of the biggest things in her career. I dont think the boys won any medals, correct me if i'm wrong. AdrianS is also right, some of the girls have a better shot than us guys... so all i have to say is good luck to all the girls... and guys, at nationals, to every one bowling shield, i know it'll be heaps of fun........ Go WA!!! haha

Later

well i agree with wat most ppl have said on here...australia has a lot of talented junior female bowlers....i myself am not one of them as i am now out of juniors and i do not seem to have a high avg as some of the junior and adult bowlers do but i try not to let this stop me from i sport i love doing and competing in

i have been bowling more then half my life and if i saw such a msg when i first started i defiantly would have quit.......as u see a comment like that would shatter any junior bowlers confidence at a young age........do u want to be responsible for someone giving up sumthing they may b good at in the future

i would just like to say u should go out and take a look at this yrs nationals as well as the east coast challenge cup being held in sydney in september and take a look at wat junior bowling in australia is all about................its about fun and succeding and being the best u can be at that time

not every condition is easily adapted to and in three games u sometimes dont have the ability to adjust to it in a short amount of time........so next time your out on the lanes UPYOURS and u bowl really bad just think that everyone has their bad days including urself

just like to wish everyone good luck at nationals and roll offs for eccc!

i'm just gonna post quickly on here.

upyours... you must realise that when you are bagging these junior girls, that are more than likely in the shield squad, for shooting a 450, these girls' averages may only be a 140-150, so in fact they are bowling their average (which is all you can ask from these girls).
also when the asian schools team came over to perth before they flew to malaysia, it was obvious that these girls can hold their own against abolutely ANYBODY!!!

one last thing is that, if they were stuffing around, then they may be just having a break from training.... WHICH IS WHAT EVERYONE IS ENTITLED TO DO NOW AND AGAIN!!!!!!

thats my little bit

:twisted: :p :twisted:

I have read all your responses and have drawn this conclusion. Most of you can't even read so how can I expect you to understand my point. I am NOT bagging anyone..nor am I denigrating any beginner bowlers ability. There are some great female bowlers in Australia..but as a whole, our junior girls are not very good.

For those of you who understood what I said in my initial post, I have been to a few major events on the junior calendar and that's what I used to make my judgement. To date, I have not named any of the bowlers I have seen..and for good reason. I would never put down any individual for trying. My main concern remains the sad state of our sport and the bowling future of our adult females. I can honestly say that I have seen no standouts on the girl's side. As for a junior leading qualifying in the Queensland Ladies Classic, this past weekend's tournament at Caboolture only enforced my suspicions.

High scores are not indicative of talent and ability.

upyours

hrmm so are you saying that the gurls in our state team for sq and any otehr state have no talent or ability to make the team and lucked there way in over a number of games they bowled?

s your saying that Jayde Bee Lysa Christine Lauren etc are extreamly shit and only lucked out on there repeated wins?
i know Jayde is no longer a junior as of the end of last year but would have to be one of the best australia has seen..
You are allowed your opinion but how about you open your eyes and look for the talent instead of looking for ways to put down junior females ok.

I dont think that upyours was stating anything about the state girls side of any state... I am just like many other of yous who have read this subject and am thinking why someone would come onto a forum and bring up a topic such as this. No bowlers, whether theyre junior or adults need to hear such thing.

Who knows who could be our next junior girls stars. Im sure three years or so ago that noone would have thought that they would be in the position of bowling that they are in now.

Upyours, you said you have been to a few major tournaments, is that recently??? No point going on judgements made in the past.. I believe that the sport of bowling is great, the competition isnt at all what it used to be, but is still quite good.

Along with many other people, I believe that the talent of many juniors is huge, and big scores may not show it all the time but it does showcase off what they can do.. Its going to be a great presidents shield, only two weeks away now.. i think many great scores will come out of it... both from the girls and guys.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom