Observations from Bendigo..The Commonwealth Youth Games reps

wchester

Bowling Tragic
Yesterday I spent five hours observing the selection camp for the Youth Commonwealth Youth Games. Just so I can't be accused of second-guessing the selectors, I will tell you in advance of their selections, whom I think should be picked to represent Australia in the Games.

The girls choices were quite obvious to anyone with a good amount of bowling knowledge.

If I were a selector I would pick Cassie Staudinger and Bianca Flanagan to be in the Games. These two girls were clearly the cream of the crop.

The talent in the boys field ran deeper. I can only single out one bowler who appeared to be head and shoulders in front of the rest of the pack...Stephen Reynolds was an automatic pick for me. The next group of three bowlers are very close in talent.

Shane Tunnah, Stephen Cowland and Matt Kanafa all impressed me at one point and whenever I thought one seemed to be a better selection, one or another would do something to make me change my mind.

Shane Tunnah - Appeared to be a "feel" bowler. His feet placement on the approach looked to be a little inconsistant, and the resulting finishing position at the foul line thus caused him to occasionally lose his line. Other than that little flaw, I give Shane a big thumbs up for release and roll. Also kudos to this young man for vast improvement on his spare shooting since the last time I saw him bowl

Stephen Cowland - I'd like to see Stephen be more aggressive on the tougher lane conditions. He tends to bowl defensively at times which lowers his ball speed and prohibits the ball from hitting with any power. Stephen should also be aware that his backswing has a tendancy to wrap around his body, thus causing him to become off balance at the release point when his arm away from his sliding foot.

Matt Kanafa - Very impressive balance and form for a big man, with great leverage. I question some of his moves though, as I watched him shoot 230 while rolling the ball from 23 to 12 on one pair and then he proceeded to move his line from throwing 23 to 12 that game to rolling 16 to 5 in the next game on the very same pair. If only I knew what made him make that move, maybe I could offer a different opinion here.

I guess if I had to pick one from the three bowlers I've just critiqued, then that choice would have to be..........
Shane Tunnah.
He impressed me with his ability to consistantly pull out decent games while the others tended to be more up and down.

All the above are my opinions only and are based of the bowling ability of the individual bowlers only. In no way do my thoughts represent those opinions of the TBA selectors who had the opportunity of interviewing the bowlers one-on-one.

If any of you would to know my opinion of your game please send me a private message through Totalbowling. I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you.

Cheers from Bendigo and Best of luck to you all.

A very detailed account here. Before I ask your opinion on my bowling could you please tell me what level of coaching you have achieved or maybe who you are currently coaching cos I've never heard your name but then again I haven't been around that long. Do you bowl? Where?

I don't know Wayne personally but he has won a PBA tour stop event some years back. As far as I know he doesn't bowl anymore, or at least not much. Anyway hope this helps. That's a pretty detailed list from Wayne, good luck to them all.

Does anyone have the final selection? I know two SA bowlers have made the team, just waiting on the other bowlers to be posted.
Cheers

hey yea the 2 SA bowlers were Matt Kanafa and Louise Ingoe. the other 2 bowlers that made it were Bianca Flanagan and Steve Reynolds. well thats was i gots told so i hope thats right :D
anyways welldone to all bowlers that went out im sure that the scedule was a hard weekend and there were many challenges given.
good stuff to all
Alex K

Back
Top Bottom