Commonwealth Youth Trials.... rating the bowlers

wchester

Bowling Tragic
After two days of watching our best under 18s compete for spotson the Commonwealth Youth Games Training Squad, I've compiled the following list of hits and misses. These were the best of the field.
In no particular order..The bowlers showing the most potential are:

• Stephen Reynolds: Solid all-round game. Should be one of the Games choices.
    Hamish Rogers: Knows how to play the game.
    Matthew Kanafa: Big man with a big future.
    Stephen Cowland: Kept mistakes to a minimum, just couldn't strike.
    Ryan Burton: Only missing ingredient is axis rotation.
    Anthony Morrell: Championship strike ball, but lacks the knowledge to play all conditions.
    Shane Tunnah: Poor spare shooting will keep him from winning.
    Josh Bulow: You can't win without sparing Josh..better learn the entire game.
    Matthew Sing: Great strike ball..terrible spare shooter.
    Ian Phelan: Disappointing finish considering his talent.
    Brady Pirie: Spares are still a mystery to Brady.
    Dion Alexander: Would like to see him with a stronger roll.
    Dean Judd: Not very impressive whilst shooting at spares.

Louise Ingoe: Very solid at line..Firm stroke, only need to develop a better roll.
    Bianca Flanagan: Best of the bunch...could go on to be top notch adult bowler.
    Cassie Staudinger: Has the look of a true champion.
    Jessica Lawrence: Middle of the pack..needs coaching.
    Hayley Donnelly: Above average game but doesn't do anything special.
    Kara Triulcio: Nice relaxed form..maybe too relaxed..Get your head in the game!
    Debra Bosma: Very good fundamentals..just needs to develop stronger release.

This list is not meant to put anyone down..it is simply an honest opinion of your physical game. As for the mental make up of the bowlers, I haven't a clue. However a strong mental game can make a champion out of a good bowler just as a poor mental game can prevent a great bowler from reaching stardom.
But remember, although most physical flaws can be fixed with proper coaching, the mental flaws can only be overcome with a positive attitude and strong desire to learn.

My last observation is that despite the "god-like" reviews Doc Kee receives, I found at least two of his students to be way below average at making spares. Maybe it's time to re-think your coaching plan Doc.

Thats the hard thing. At training you focus on strikeing and finding diffrent lines. If you miss a spare in practice its ohhh well. i know my spare game is letting me down. i open on average 2 frames a game. Cant afford open frames in comps.

Hey
stephen reynold's-very strong bowler when his on track u cant stop him but when his off track he goes down hill but always got somthing up his sleeves to pull him back into his game
Stephen Cowland-I have not seen him bowl very much he did shoot a very impressive game of 298 but i dont know to much about his bowling he was very consistant then
I couldnt say much else only that i havnt seen many of those ppl u said bowl before the ones i have r very talented with big futur's
My sparing game the last few week's has been pretty good missing the occasional few spares an leaving slplit's but everyone does that-coaching would be thebest help for the ppl who can't spare very good i myself have neva been coache buti have had tip's an ppl give me idea's on what to do now so it's getting all good
Shaun good luck on ur sparing game :shock: :D :) :( :eek: :lol: 8) :? :roll:

At training you focus on strikeing and finding diffrent lines. If you miss a spare in practice its ohhh well.
Shaun, you know what your doing wrong, so why don't you practice spares at training instead of striking all the time?

Wayne, nice list. It was honest. Will we be seeing you again at the camp come September?

Later Da Cowman!

If only Wayne was a selector...........

If anyone has seen his resume, Wayne should be part of every selection process we have in Australia. I'm not sure if everyone knows but Wayne has not only competed on the PBA tour for numerous years but has a PBA National Tour Stop win to his credit!

For all the juniors who have been listed, take his advice on board and work on some constructive critism, I know I would!

da_Cowman. The scarry thing is i do work on my spares, hit most of them in pratice prob is in a torny, i seem to tigten up, pull left pull right. The only way i can really practice spares is at comps when i am under presure. There just isnt the same feeling shotting spares at training as there is shoot spares at a comp.

Hi George,
About Wayne having all this valuable advice and knowledge he was there watching these kids on the weekend and he could see what alot of them were doing wrong why didn't he go down and ask them if they would like some help, not everyone their had a coach there behind them to help i know Hayley would have appreciated some on the spot help.I don't know if it is not the done thing these days but i know that if i had the knowledge and did'nt have a junior bowling in it i would have helped who ever needed or wanted some advice Imay be wrong but this is only my opinion.
Cindy Donnelly.

I think the stuff Wayne is talking about are fundamentals. Things that a bowler should have.

Also - remember this was an Australian training squad trial. I could imagine the uproar if someone attempted to "give advice" at such an event.

Further, I think I read somewhere in a Parents coaching handbook, that a parent should never give advice to a child athlete unless they are asked by the child for input first. I imagine this would include someone who isnt the persons coach.

Thanks - I'm honoured to make the list. I was really impressed with the statistics that were put up at the centre & on the web for us all to see. On studying these I worked out where my weakness lies - (I have been told about my spare shooting - (but I can be a bit slow on the uptake at times) & the stats showed it to me in black and white & really brought the point home) . I mean to really concentrate on my spares from now on. Just a big thankyou to Kevin Brawn & all who worked to put the weekend together - it was a real learning experience and as I told Kevin "a challenge" - I for one had a great time!!

thanks wayne i get great satisfaction in reading ur post.....hpe some people read it. mite bring them back to earth!
they should take notice of wot u rote especially because it is coming from someone who knows his stuff.

It was a great weekend by all and even though not everyone could make it, im sure everyone tried their best. i know i did. Thanks for the mention too, it made me smile!

Take care everyone :p

Debra

well i think that katie arnold from vic did an excellent job. shes not normally one for singles events but she blew everyone away! way to go katie!
luv ya sweetie!
:lol:

Sleasha

well i would have to say that i think alicia garioch did a wicked job! she may have just got in but it was heaps deserved :D well dun Sleasha

love always skatie :p

Back
Top Bottom