Tournament Bowling in Australia

One question that i would like to ask is, in the case of the Adelaide Cup, and possibly others, is there any reason why you couldn't run this in conjunction with the SA cup. The reason i ask is that the numbers for both events were very low, to me it makes sense to run them in the same venue, at the same time, but still keep them seperate. That way the atmosphere would be a lot better

This type of format was used many years ago at the the Canberra Cup/Canberra ladies Open at the long departed Olympic Bowl in Canberra which was a 22 lane house. There is no reason at all why the 2 events couldn't be run in the same centre. The Canberra weekend was very successful, both from a bowling and a social perspective

Ocassionally a little too successful socially............

I think there needs to be hype around these events - talk them up a little.

In the past, especially when I first came into the game, there was hype before events, things were more publicised, there were videos of bowling at these events put up quickly during events (I realise this was a huge task, and Graham and Daniel did an awesome job).. there was good old trash talk.. none of this happens anymore. Like K&K Classic this weekend - apart from the Squad list in the National Tourmanents forum, nobody would even have a clue it was on, and this is one of the biggest on the calendar. Maybe someone could generate some 'interest' by posting some 'odds'? Hammo? Jase? BELMO? His were always funny to read in the past...

I just feel there is a lack of presence about the events these days. We need to get the excitment and anticipation back.

I think that there is real merit in the idea of combining events.

Also, spreading the events out so that we avoid the current clustering means that bowlers don't burn out at the end of a run and the tournament on the end gets lots of folks pulling out.

This is looking like a good start.

Hi,
Here a real rough in for a calender. Based on this years calender
Jan - 2nd weekend reserved for state series.
Feb - 10, 11 & 12 SA Cup. This was Just pushed back 2 weeks.
Mar - 2nd weekend reserved for state series.
Apr - 7, 8 & 9 - Qld Cup- using easter long weekend.
May - 2nd weekend reserved for state series.
Jun - 9, 10 & 11 - MTC using queens b'day Stays the same
Jul - 2nd weekend reserved for state series.
Aug - 4, 5 & 6 -NSW Open - pushed back 2 weeks to use long weekend in NSW
Sep - 2nd weekend reserved for state series.
Oct - 29/30Sep, 1oct - WA, using queens b'day long weekend.
Nov - 2nd weekend reserved for state series.
Dec - 1, 2, & 3 ACT Brunswick, Stays the same.
Like i said, this is a rough in. There probably will be objctions!!! But what i tried to do was to create a minimum of 7 weeks between Majors, whilst trying to keep them as close or on the current date. Some of the public holidays are the states public holidays, as they tend to make up the bulk of the numbers, it should be done to them.
But like i said, its just a start.
Andrew
I realise some discussion has already taken place re your ideas Andrew (which is a good start mate), but to leave out the AO, SPC and K&K from the calendar just doesn't seem right. Putting them into your ideas and you have an over-loaded calendar again. Maybe someone has a better line up selection????

Cheers

I realise some discussion has already taken place re your ideas Andrew (which is a good start mate), but to leave out the AO, SPC and K&K from the calendar just doesn't seem right. Putting them into your ideas and you have an over-loaded calendar again. Maybe someone has a better line up selection????
Cheers

I know what you are meaning.

SPC - In a previous post i made mention that the 1 National Event for the year could be the one that the winner get to represent Australia at the World Cup, so that would i theory be the SPC. It was going to be fitted into the calender somewhere.

Just on this, please (everyone) don't think that i left them out on purpose. What i was trying to do was to create as balanced a calender as possible. To allow about 8 weeks between the majors. Try to spread them out across the country not to have 3 in one state. I have always realised that the K&K is possibly the most popular event on the calender, so i wasn't trying to disclude that.

Great feedback so far, but please keep it coming

Hi all.
What would be nice if each state could have its own ranking system, with equal number of tournaments, or series in each state. The points system used for ranking would need to be the same in each state, so that bowlers are not disadvantaged. The same number of series, and the same points system across all states would be a fair competition. National ranking points could then be based on the state ranking points plus any majors that the bowlers attended and gained extra ranking points.
I feel that we need to come up with a system that can be used by the states, and then used as a base for national points.

allenj

Hi all.
What would be nice if each state could have its own ranking system, with equal number of tournaments, or series in each state. The points system used for ranking would need to be the same in each state, so that bowlers are not disadvantaged. The same number of series, and the same points system across all states would be a fair competition. National ranking points could then be based on the state ranking points plus any majors that the bowlers attended and gained extra ranking points.
I feel that we need to come up with a system that can be used by the states, and then used as a base for national points.
allenj
I agree 100%.

The TBA National Rankings system would have to be in conjunction with the TBA National Calendar. You cannot create a new national rankings system. We have to work with the TBA.

The National Tournament Players Association board would like to have all states participating in the Sports Series. We could possibly have a State Sports Series Rankings System which can be in conjunction with a National Sports Series Final & rankings based on the Rankings from the State Series.

These rankings would solely be based on competing on sports patterns.

All States need to be apart of the series before a National Final can be organized for next year. SA,Tas,NT have not got a sports series organised yet.

We need some NTPA board members from SA,Tas,Sth Qld, Nth Qld, NT. If your interested please email me at [email protected]

Cheers
Christian

Back
Top Bottom