Major announcement regarding a National Sport Series Tournament

Hang on....

This prize money is not all based on entries alone......No tournament can prouduce big prize funds with NO sponorship.......

Jase may have lined up a sponsor, but to me, the more sponsors for an event like this can get, the better.

Europe can have 50 sponors (some big, some small).........

Multiple re-entries and a 24 man, 3 to a pair matchplay sounds like a great format. I would think it would be better with a $120 entry for the 1st attampt then, say for example, $60 - $70 for each subsequent entry.
Strangely enough, I have usually had my best qualifying attempt at the first go in the few multiple entry events I have bowled, but it would be a great way of increasing entries and giving people a chance to get used to a condition without being out of contention just because of a bad couple of games while acclimatising.

Perhaps like they do overseas they have age groups for people to qualify for the finals in…We could do something similar…You have 160-180 brackets…181-199 brackets and 200 and over brackets…Over 45’ brackets…Youth brackets…and so on…With everyone competing in their own age/sex/average category to reach the next round…Bit like the Hi Roller…Just my thoughts

Mate,

Good idea, for another tournament. Dont mean to be a little nasty here, but why give a spot in the final to a 160 average guy who will come last in the final.

I think the same kind of event should be run as a handicap event or something like that. That would work great too.

The age/sex/average category works in Vegas because there are 1000 bowlers..... not 100 (although even Vegas is in trouble with entires these days)

a 6 game qualifier like AO is too long, we need short bursts of games. Get guys and girls on the lanes and off the lanes again in 40 min so they can re-enter.

I think another way is make it cheaper every time you pay.....1st set $125, 2nd set $100 3rd set $75 4th set and there after $50.
So if you play 4 times using that entry fee you will spend $350 but have 4 chances to make the cut (dont forget the cut to be somewhree like $1000)
Then only $50 there after....locals could gamble and bowl 17 squads (only need 1 squad to cut) and cover there entry fee's....

Thats how you need to run an event!

Thats how you give bowlers from all over the country a chance to make the cut and make some good money back.
As soon as you ask guys to place in the top 3 to cover costs, events will never get any bigger!

I think another way is make it cheaper every time you pay.....1st set $125, 2nd set $100 3rd set $75 4th set and there after $50.
So if you play 4 times using that entry fee you will spend $350 but have 4 chances to make the cut (dont forget the cut to be somewhree like $1000)
Then only $50 there after....locals could gamble and bowl 17 squads (only need 1 squad to cut) and cover there entry fee's....

What a great idea. Nice one.

I am a huge fan of the re-entry idea and I think it would make a great difference to the tournament scene.

How about introducing it at K&K next year... it gets a heap of entries every year and if those could be chanelled into multiple re-entries.. it could be quite big.

I understand what Jase is saing about "don't change something that is already successful" (with the AO) but it's the same as everything - if you don't stay ahead of the game then you will fall behind, and in general that's what happened to bowling. For too long it was left as it was because back in the day it was successful, but it quickly went into decline. At the end of the day bowling is a product and it needs marketing to be successful, and it needs to be exciting. Re-entry is one way to do that. There's nothing worse than spending $300 to bowl 12 games and have a couple of bad games to put you out of contention from the start with no chance to recover.

Belmo i think that your idears are great. me personaly i would pay $100.00 to $150.00 per go if the money was atractive.

There's nothing worse than spending $300 to bowl 12 games and have a couple of bad games to put you out of contention from the start with no chance to recover.

Thats exactly why Europeans have re-entry.....No good flying across Europe for a few bad games to have no shot.
Funny thing is, here in OZ, most of our flying times are longer than the Europeans.

I agree $125 for the first attempt then x amount for re-entries. I'd pay anything If $15,000 was first place and a few thousand for 24th. $40 was an example and I guess is proberbly way to low, I'd just like to see a fair entry fee especially for those those who can't afford to bowl tournaments and to be able to re-enter as much as they like. Just looking out for the little people.

Thats exactly why Europeans have re-entry.....No good flying across Europe for a few bad games to have no shot.
Funny thing is, here in OZ, most of our flying times are longer than the Europeans.

And there are a lot less bowlers here as well -so thats why we need re-entry's to get number up. I like the idea of re-entry's especially when you are traveling to interstate. Also if you have to pay for travelling cost & accomadation (which is usually higher then the cost of the tornament itself) you might as well have more then I chance to make the cut.

Dave k

A couple of years ago (2005) in Vic, we held a tournament with re-entries. Prior to the AO changing last year.

The format was:

6 games qualifying (2 x 3 game blocks) $100

Re-Entry attempts were 3 game bocks. $50

Top 4 qualifiers into matchplay final

Stage 2 $100
5 to 24 bowl 6 games

Stage 3
top 4 plus top 8 from stage 2, then bowled 11 games matchplay

With the re-entries you were able to replace either of your 3 game blocks with the re-entry score if it was better.

I personally enjoyed the event, and found that it meant that if you had a good block, you could keep that and try again. You also did not have to bowl your 2 blocks back to back. If you wanted fresh oil, you could enter the blocks straight after the oiling was done, to give yourself the same conditions for both blocks.

At the time l dont to many people had heard of the re-entry events, and the numbers were down, but the event was fun.

Personally l dont mind the higher price for the first attempt, but each additional attempt needs to be a discounted price.

Say for the above, l would have been happy to pay $175 for my first 6 games, and then $75 for each 3 games after that. Afterall, if you look at tournaments, and you take the entry fee for the games you bowl, it is normally around the $20 per game.

Jason Belmonte,

Firstly, with all respect to what you have experienced in the bowling world, in asia, US and europe....

What you are suggesting is basically trying to build up the prize fund so a couple of bowlers with your talent level can go home with $15,000 a couple of times a year.

While it would be nice to have, one must realise that the majority of people that enter tournaments are never going to win them. Instead of having 1 person take home $15,000, second take $10,000 and third take $7500 how about 10 people take home $1500, 10 people take home $1000, and 10 people take home $750.
I personally want to boost numbers with these types of events, not boost the best bowlers bank account balance.

If the events are ran with first prize being anywhere near $15,000 and only 20 people cashing, there is no way in hell the events will sustain themselves. It attracts only the best bowlers, and only the best bowlers will keep comming back.

Just my opinion.

P.s. Great work Jase for putting in the yards for the bowler!

Jason Belmonte,
Firstly, with all respect to what you have experienced in the bowling world, in asia, US and europe....
What you are suggesting is basically trying to build up the prize fund so a couple of bowlers with your talent level can go home with $15,000 a couple of times a year.
While it would be nice to have, one must realise that the majority of people that enter tournaments are never going to win them. Instead of having 1 person take home $15,000, second take $10,000 and third take $7500 how about 10 people take home $1500, 10 people take home $1000, and 10 people take home $750.
I personally want to boost numbers with these types of events, not boost the best bowlers bank account balance.
If the events are ran with first prize being anywhere near $15,000 and only 20 people cashing, there is no way in hell the events will sustain themselves. It attracts only the best bowlers, and only the best bowlers will keep comming back.
Just my opinion.
!
I have to agree with tonx its ok for the bowlers that know they are going to make the cut and do well in the tournament but for the average joe who is not a sponsored bowler having a re-buy of say $100 per attempt is out of their price range. sure it would be good to bowl the house down with your first 3 games but for the averge joe it just not going to happen. so why not make it cheaper for them and have more entries

6 games with re entry is the way to go

but i think the final needs to be head to head best of 5 stuff

we want to have atmosphere in the centre, this tournament could really give the sport a chance to get some great publicy and public interest.

what better way than to turn on some drama by seeing some of our countrys best going at it in best of 5 matches

Im getting goosebumbs thinking about some of the match ups we could see

Names like Walsh, Belmonte, Bottomley and Frilingos

Imagine the drama seeing one of these guys come back from 2 - 0 to win, to me it would be in the same ball park as watchin a 5 setter in a tennis Grand Slam.

Could you do it so u cut to 28 (top 4 seeds get first round byes) best of 5 single elimination.

ANdrew Tonking wrote.......

[/QUOTE]Firstly, with all respect to what you have experienced in the bowling world, in asia, US and europe....
Just my opinion.
P.s. Great work Jase for putting in the yards for the bowler![/QUOTE]

You are an idiot mate........

If it was money i bowled for in Australia, i would of quit bowling here many years ago..... perhaps im actually looking at a bigger picture!

The money is not for me, its to attract the worlds best bowlers. When was the last time you saw Tim Mack out here????

Actually, when was the last time we saw any bowler from overseas, bar NZ competing in OZ????

Do you think the European's, arab, asians and americans will come out here for $3000-5000????

Andrew, ill let you in on a little secret......bowling in this country needs a dramatic influx in media attention. Money attracts names to come out here (WORLD CHAMPS even PRO's for that matter) which is what the media/marketing can bounce off.

You know what, if someone like Barnes or Pete Weber or Tommy Jones or Osku or Paul Moor or (shall i keep going with some more great player names??) bowls in these events that are actually worth while to fly here for, dont you think that us the bowlers may actually turn up, we the bowlers may actually bowl some more events, because these guys are amazing to watch and even better to bowl along side of.

I have bowled with these guys and its the best bowling i have experianced in my life.

Look Andrew, media creates interest, that interest then sparks big name sponors to come on board, then we can look at having enough money in the kitty to pay down to where ever you like and have $10 entry fees....till then we need to do a lot of work....

As for your comments about why not spread the money around a bit, where did i say that only the top 3 would get good money??
My idea is 24th gets $1000, that would mean 24 people get great money..... what do you want tournament organisors to do, pay out 99%?? Where does the line stop?
The cut is the bench mark when cashing, i am pretty sure everyone would prefer a chance at $1000 coming 24th than get paid $400 for 16th and $50 for 40th

Everyone on here as put great input into this thread, a thread i actually thought you would of come up with some good ideas for formats......instead you accuse me of trying to boost bowling in Australia and its prize fund for my own personal gain......

Your comments regarding why i want 'big money' events in Australia have not only removed all doubt about what i did think you, it now confirmed it.

But hey, i have never really met you, so perhaps i could be wrong, you just might be the nicest guy on this site....... :S

Anyone else want to argee with Andrew about his post feel free to comment....i'll happily stand my ground!

Jason Belmonte

The shorter qualifying blocks and re-buys seem to be the way to go, there are a few of our older players around that don't feel they have any hope of beating the Jasons or Georges or the younger fitter guys, but with short qualifying blocks and the elimination finals they may come back and have a crack.
60, 70 bucks a retry is all good you can have as many goes to qualify as you can afford. 1000 bucks for the cut would be awesome haven't seen enough to cover costs (dare i say make money) at the bottom of the cut for a long time. 3-400 dollars for a crack at even 10k for first. Maybe it comes back to having 3 or 4 quality events a year here and plenty of regional stuff to keep your eye in so to speak...

I totally agree with you Jason what type of sportsman would we be if we settle for second best it is great that we have excellent bowlers in this country. If someone wins all the tournaments in one year this is not unfair to the other players. It means that they are the best on the day and that is great. All players aspire to be that person ( The best on that day ).

We all want to win and I hope that everyone understands what Jason is suggesting will give more people that chance to win on the day. We do need a injection of media attention and we will only get that by luring the top players in the world here and $10,000 to $15,000 prize money should do that. I know myself that if I could compete with the best players in the world the thrill of that would be great.

I have bowled since I was 5 years old and would sincerely love to see our sport progress to the level that it has achieved in some other parts of the world. The truth of the matter is that 99% of the time we don’t win but this should make us try harder next time.

Hey Guys,

Lets stay productive and stick with POSITIVES & NEGATIVES... I'm pretty sure everyone is here to help our sport!

NO-ONE pays $200-$300 to bowl with Australia's Best, maybe to beat Australia's Best! And to bowl for the "EXPERIENCE", there are alot cheaper ways to get experience out there (ie: Sports Series, Local Tournaments). People pay this amount of $$$$ for the chance to see a return on their money and to feel competitive out there.

For sure when Australia's Best are out there the chances of winning are slim, but the chances of making a cut are alot better. With a RE-ENTRY format anything can happen! I tell you now that coming 24th and recieving $1000 would feel like more of an achievment thatn coming 24th and recieving $300.

For every entry a bowler puts in the aim is to get better and better. After each attempt a bowler should be able to work out what they can and cant do on the lanes. If NOT, you've got Australia's Best there, watch them, or even ask them what to do. Everyone is out there to WIN, but everyone is also out there to be competitive!

A RE-ENTRY format allows anyone to give it a shot, its a GAMBLE that pays alot better!

Regards

Lindsay Kilpatrick

Thats how you give bowlers from all over the country a chance to make the cut and make some good money back.
As soon as you ask guys to place in the top 3 to cover costs, events will never get any bigger![/QUOTE]

the $350 idea is the best thing ive ever heard when it comes to tournaments.. your getting four chances to qualify and its good value for money.. i really hope this formats goes ahead becuase i know it will please everyone from the best down to lower average bowlers..

by the looks of things bowling in aus may be on the way to recovery which is really good

Back
Top Bottom