Tournament Bowling in Australia

L

LindZ

Hey Everyone,

Just a thread for people to express ideas on what makes tournament bowling attractive, and how we can make Tournament Bowling in Australia exciting.

I think you will find Sports Series will play a major role in the increase of tournament bowlers. It not only gives bolwers the tools and confidence to bowl tournaments, but is also a great promotion tool.

CALENDER
I believe the whole calender needs restructure & organisation. Pick the top 6 Tournaments on the calender (The ones that get the most support). Now dates may have to change for these tournaments, afterall its a RESTRUCTURE.
Example Calender:
STATE SPORTS SERIES - Monthly (2nd Weekend 1 month - 1st Weekend next month)
MAJOR TOURNAMENTS - Every 2 Months (3rd week of the month to give a weekend bumper on sports series)
Sounds great on paper, but i understand there is alot in between such as rep. team trials and state team trials. Atleast this way there is STRUCTURE for the calender and bowlers know when they will be bowling and can plan in advance.

FORMAT
To be decided by the bowlers, i suggest some ideas be put forward and a poll be taken.
One suggestion i do make is a 2 day cap. 1 day qualifying, 1 day finals. Whether or not its a long weekend, the aim is to attract as many Bowlers from around Australia, the longer interstate bowlers need to stay away from home just means more COSTS!

LOCATIONS & SUBSIDY
Lets face it, not many people are willing to travel to W.A, N.T, TASMANIA, unless there is an attractive prizefund. A suggestion would be to keep the 6 Majors in a central location which is cost effective travel wise. But in fairness to the bowlers from the States and Territories a Major is not home to, they be granted a SUBSIDISED entry fee. Example: $150 instead of $250.

PROMOTION
My Favourite. Aswell as having a National Tournament Director, i believe each State should have a State Tournament Director (person running Sports Series (with help ofcoarse))to promote the Sports Series and the Majors, especially the Majors in their own State. what happened to the "glossy" entry forms??? EXPENSIVE??? YES! NECESSARY??? YES! Not everyone is a member of TotalBowling (yet). I dont think we are pushing Tournaments enough! WORD OF MOUTH, big promotion tool. It's up to everyone to ask bowlers if they are bowling the "MTC" or the "A.O" and if they say "NO", we ask why???

In summary, i think we need a whole restructure of our tournament calender, and create a Tournament Body for Australia. This way, you know you have a committee in each state promoting your tournament as you do for theirs. A Sport Series in each state is just what is needed, its the link for the whole project.

I could go on and on, and i'm sure i have missed heaps... i think if we just add our own bit, revise all posts into 1 structure, we will be left with a base for a working body for Tournament Bowling in Australia.

Lindsay Kilpatrick

i think promotion is the key push the tournaments big time. get the names down 3 or more months in advance so they can pay a deposit and get all the money together..

we need to get more people on totalbowling so they can read about the tournaments..

just my two cents and lets push these tournaments so more people start turning up

It all starts with interest.

The reason Tournaments can't get as many entries as we all like is mostly because of the cost involved. If there was more VALUE involved in the paying out side of things for the average or developing bowler, we would get more entries to tournaments.

How to increase Money? Sponsorship
How to increase Sponsorship? Exposure
How to increase Exposure? Promotion
How to increase Promotion? Thats up to us.

I'm not just talking about promotion for the guys actually bowling. I'm talking getting Mothers, Sisters, Brothers, Daughters, Sons, Friends, Aunts, Uncles, Partners, Workmates involved in WATCHING the sport!

The bigger the audience, the better the Value for the sponsor is. It's one thing to ask for sponsors money, it's another to go the extra yard and get them a return from their advertising dollars.

People that are joining in the first of the Sports Series tournaments are asked to invite a few people to watch. We will have some of the States BEST bowlers, and its a chance to create some INTEREST in WATCHING bowling tournaments taking place. Being the only series of its kind in this state, I believe it is genuinely a really good chance to turn bowling around at least at this level.

The right people ARE involved in the sports series in QLD and NSW right now, and there is a huge possibility of a a national sports bowling ranking system next year. This is something that might be worth working towards in this sport for our up and commers.

I'm also working with some of the states best coaches to run group coaching sessions before the individual events to improve bowlers results on tougher world class patterns.

We can really start working together to turn around competitive bowling, and I think these sports series tournaments are the start of it.

Viva la revolution...

There has already been a similar thread some weeks/months ago in relation to this topic. With numerous suggestions along the same line as Lindz is suggesting. With a reduction in Major Tournaments & a State run series in each State.

11-12 National Tournaments a year is ridiculous with the current amount of bowlers we have at the moment.

4 Major Tournaments. Minimum $4,000 first prize.

Australin Open - April - (Rotated Nationally)
Melbourne Cup - June - VIC
Sth Pacific Classic - September - (Rotated Nationally)
Brunswick Cup - December - Canberra

3 National Tournaments. Minimum $2,500 first prize.
S.A. Cup - January - S.A.
K & K - May - QLD
NSW Open - August - NSW

Nothing stopping each State running rolloffs for free entry into National/Major events though out the year to increase entry's at these events.

And each State run there own 4-6 tournament local circuit to give there regular tournament bowlers & local fringe bowlers the experience they need before stepping up to the National stage.

the other thing is drop the cost of entry, i know alot of people who feel they have better things to do with $200 than bowl a tournament, and i don't blame them the money can go along way especially if they are more than likely going to be fund fillers

if people would get over big prize funds and support some lower cost tournaments there would probarly be a large increase in the number of bowlers that would look at doing it

we tried in at woodville in sa to get one going but were very disappointed in the response from the states elite bowlers who didn't want anything to do with it unless it had a bigger prize fund

LUKE,
your right, we need to get more people on TotalBowling to read about Tournaments, but we need another avenue... Afteralll, "back in the day" i think you will find tournament entries were strong, we need to take this back to "ol skool".
TONX,
I cant believe i'm saying this, but your on the money:rolleyes:
CHIN,
Sorry didn't read that thread, but thats an AWESOME idea.
ANDREW K,
It's very hard to cut the cost of entry, when thats the main source of prizefund... and without prizefund its hard to attract interstate bowlers. Thats where each State's Sport Series come into play, providing Tournament Condition Play at a fraction of the cost, hopefully creating bowlers that believe that the $200+ outlay is a gamble where the odds are with them.

I had been talking to jase about this for a while now and what are going to try and do is make our own australian version of strikepass so to speak. We think an idea like this would be a great asset to australian bowling as it would give sponsors alot more value for their money being exposed more via internet or dvd release of some of our major tournements.The only problem is being able to afford to go across and film all the major tournements. As I pretty much can't throw a ball I anymore due to injury I am going to try and make the trip for spc and ao (money and work time providing) and try and edit the footage as good as possible(with commentary as well if we can) to try and make the idea work. I see it being a good step too, to help bowling get back on tv in the future if it can be done well even on a small budget scale. If there is any one that can help with this sort of thing feel free to pm me about it and we can try and work something out.
This could be a great thing for aus bowling to help market our sport, bowlers, equipment, tournements, centres sponsors and the like.It will give people a chance too to see their friends and family bowl in the tournements when they otherwise couldn't and also to see our top bowlers doing what they do best.
Thoughts?Ideas?

okay you say its hard to attract interstate bowlers, why not focus on the ones from that state an get more of them involved

an interstate bowlers pays $200 entry plus accommadation etc and could get zip back

or he could pay $80 and get zip back

amounts to the same thing the elite bowlers in this country should stop only playing for big money and start supporting the smaller ones as well or there will be not pathway to the bigger tournaments and eventually no big tournaments

we doin't have a sports series in SA as the one we tried to start at wooville got no support from the elite bowlers in this state and very little support from tbasa

personally i belive the attitude of a good number of the elite bowlers in australia in only bowling for big prize money is wrong and sets a bad example for our juniors to follow.

Hey Everyone,
Just a thread for people to express ideas on what makes tournament bowling attractive, and how we can make Tournament Bowling in Australia exciting.
I think you will find Sports Series will play a major role in the increase of tournament bowlers. It not only gives bolwers the tools and confidence to bowl tournaments, but is also a great promotion tool.
CALENDER
I believe the whole calender needs restructure & organisation. Pick the top 6 Tournaments on the calender (The ones that get the most support). Now dates may have to change for these tournaments, afterall its a RESTRUCTURE.
Example Calender:
STATE SPORTS SERIES - Monthly (2nd Weekend 1 month - 1st Weekend next month)
MAJOR TOURNAMENTS - Every 2 Months (3rd week of the month to give a weekend bumper on sports series)
Sounds great on paper, but i understand there is alot in between such as rep. team trials and state team trials. Atleast this way there is STRUCTURE for the calender and bowlers know when they will be bowling and can plan in advance.
FORMAT
To be decided by the bowlers, i suggest some ideas be put forward and a poll be taken.
One suggestion i do make is a 2 day cap. 1 day qualifying, 1 day finals. Whether or not its a long weekend, the aim is to attract as many Bowlers from around Australia, the longer interstate bowlers need to stay away from home just means more COSTS!
LOCATIONS & SUBSIDY
Lets face it, not many people are willing to travel to W.A, N.T, TASMANIA, unless there is an attractive prizefund. A suggestion would be to keep the 6 Majors in a central location which is cost effective travel wise. But in fairness to the bowlers from the States and Territories a Major is not home to, they be granted a SUBSIDISED entry fee. Example: $150 instead of $250.
PROMOTION
My Favourite. Aswell as having a National Tournament Director, i believe each State should have a State Tournament Director (person running Sports Series (with help ofcoarse))to promote the Sports Series and the Majors, especially the Majors in their own State. what happened to the "glossy" entry forms??? EXPENSIVE??? YES! NECESSARY??? YES! Not everyone is a member of TotalBowling (yet). I dont think we are pushing Tournaments enough! WORD OF MOUTH, big promotion tool. It's up to everyone to ask bowlers if they are bowling the "MTC" or the "A.O" and if they say "NO", we ask why???
In summary, i think we need a whole restructure of our tournament calender, and create a Tournament Body for Australia. This way, you know you have a committee in each state promoting your tournament as you do for theirs. A Sport Series in each state is just what is needed, its the link for the whole project.
I could go on and on, and i'm sure i have missed heaps... i think if we just add our own bit, revise all posts into 1 structure, we will be left with a base for a working body for Tournament Bowling in Australia.
Lindsay Kilpatrick

Very well written and spot on the mark.

This is just a thought.
Years ago i bowled in the VLC (Victorian Ladies circuit) where we competed at different centres on a bi-monthly basis. This was supported by some of the top female bowlers in the country but it also gave some of the less skilled bowlers like myself on say a 140-170 average the chance to bowl against some of the top females. I not sure this is the way to go but maybe the sports series starting up is the equivalent in todays climate. I would urge those fringe bowlers who don't think they are good enough to have a go in the sport series in NSW, QLD, VIC and see where it takes them. I know cost is going to be a factor with some bowlers but even if only go it one event you may just surprise yourself and get the belief that you can compete against the top bowlers. That maybe all it takes to help improve numbers at some of the top events.

it would be good also if some of the major tournaments are televised on free to air tv like they did on channel 10 about a decade ago. it would create exposure and such, and so make the tournaments (and bowlers) more recognised and interesting. thats my little theory tho.

:)
adam

I would be willing to assist in some of the planning and organinsing for W.A events

Ososober,

You should get in contact with people who organise the Series in each State, they will have the necessary information in starting a Series in W.A.

Lindsay

it would be good also if some of the major tournaments are televised on free to air tv like they did on channel 10 about a decade ago.

As much as I would like to see it happen, I don't think it will. Not enough interest for stations to take the gamble.

Edit:

Another way is to start tours (like the Sport Series) in ALL regions, leading to an invitation to the major championship for, say, top 10 in each region.

The more states that get involved and start a sports series the better.

I encourage every state to get one going, the Pearson Automotive QLD sport series has paved the way here, and deserves credit for setting the pace here, now with the NSW sport series gaining strength and popularity (people lining up to get in for event 3) looks like we may have a good strong series for next year, and now with VIC joining the party and looking to have a very strong series, the other states should start to follow suit.

My advice to those looking to come forward and organise these series in WA, NT, SA & TAS you should get in touch with one of these guys: Jase, Tonx & Da Cowman, who have paved the way for the eastern states. Get a few events together this year (if you can) to give the bowlers a taste of what a sport series has to offer, that way you can start with a full fledged series in 2008.

viva la revolution!

Ash is 100% correct. The State Sports Series must go ahead in all states. We then must cut down the amount of Rankings Events (14 this year still too many). A national structure of tournaments is the way to go.

A junior sports series might be the next in line to start.

ososober, if you need a hand just drop me a pm. i would also be very interested in giving wa a kickstart when it comes to the tourney scene over here.

Heres what one of us guys who have been around for a while thinks

I believe in SA and Vic that the ATBA(Australian Tournament Bowlers Association for you n00bs!!) needs to be a goer again. With, say 5 or 6 events in both states for starters(plus a tournament of champions). Look to get an average of 40 entries in the SA events and 50-55 in the Vic events. Get another major in SA again (like Festival City cup and Village Open use to be the 2nd major besides SA cup) Get that established for a year or 2 THEN start to pay more attention to the lane conditions(and tie that to fairness from side to side and squad to squad NOT scoring level!!) Do that and bowling here will be the closest it will ever get to its last 'golden age' of the late 80's early 90's!! Longer term its still one of my dreams for bowling that all scratch tournaments come under the ATBA banner(the reason why Victoria and SA changed from the VCBA and SACBA in the first place)

Back
Top Bottom