Tournament bowlers in Sth Aust.

G

greg holmes

It is 18 months since the ATBA here in Sth Aust. folded. Curious as to how much support
there is left in this state regarding tournamnents. Is it worthwhile looking at setting up an association and holding regular tournaments here. I believe we have at least 2 centre managers left who would be
willing to help out with lineage etc.
The tournaments of the golden era may be gone
but surely with a little support we can hold
smaller tournaments and give ALL our bowlers
the oppotunity to compete against our elite from this state.
I will be at the S.A. cup this weekend so if
you are interested in bowling regular smaller
tournaments let me know. Alternatively, leave a message on here and I will contact you.
Regards Greg.

Yeah it sounds alright depending on prize pools and costs and how many ppl and who they r that would actually bowl.

also sponsers would really help

keep us updated
icon_cool.gif

No less than 3 Males and 1 Female from this state who have represented our country in the past 2 years. In my eyes they have earned the title of elite.
SAMBA is a great concept for those bowlers who enjoy that level of competition. I was looking for interest from bowlers who want to compete at the highest level without the
expense of the Super Six.
It appears most Sth Aussies are happy with what they no longer have. So for now I might
just continue enjoying the interstate travel
to watch our guys and gal do this state proud.

Count me in but I think you will find that there is a tad too much apathy hanging around. Seems a lot of bowlers like to say there aren't enough tournaments etc but when they are offered no one turns up!

Before ATBA ended in SA there were those last few tournaments with very poor turnout.

Maybe something like a monthly Skins tournament where everyone has a chance of getting some cash back might be an incentive???

apathy is the word. i have been trying to set up an under 23 circuit this year and after repeated emails to centre managers i have have two dates go past when these youth bowlers could have been competing. i have a taker for the December torunament, not much good if there are no others!!
these kids want to bowl but cant if no centre supports the concept.

Greg, I for one would show interest in attending smaller tournaments if they were held. However it is a shame to find that centres will usually only promote the tournaments that are held within their centre.
icon_mad.gif

For example: the centre that I bowl in puts non centre information about tournaments down one end of the control desk where nobody goes. Whereas information that the centre wants to promote is on the corner of the desk where people are constantly walking past it.
icon_rolleyes.gif

I think that for the smaller tournaments to be successful the key is promoting the tournaments well. Even if it means visiting each centre (maybe time consuming) or even putting an ad in the local newspaper however that could be expensive.

Also, I think that for tournaments to be more successful there needs to be cooperation between AMF and NON AMF Centres or Visa Versa when promoting a tournament, but I don't think that will ever happen.

On one last point, I noticed it was said that these smaller tournaments would give an opportunity for bowlers to bowl against SA Elite without having to travel the Super Six. I may have only been bowling for the last 5 years but over that time I have noticed that people can be very intimidated. If you promote a tournament and use words that Identify good from bad or high average bowler compared to low average bowler then unless someone is prepared to give it a go. Then you'll find that they won't enter into the tournament. I guess you'll need to find something that Identifies bowlers in general.

Thats all for now.
I hope to see something in the near future come out in relation to the smaller taurnaments.
icon_smile.gif

For any one in adelaide area, Salisbury Bowl holds a bowl for money comp. almost every mounth. Just give them a ring and ask for Darren Williams. As he is the one running them.

Back
Top Bottom