THE 2008 BOWLING BALLS AUSTRALIA SA SPORT SERIES

ONE SMALL CHANGE TO THE SERIES:

I realise that at one stage or another there may be a reason one cannot make an event on one particular day. Having said that, the following change has been made:

There are six events in the series. Your highest FIVE point-scoring performances will contribute to the pointscore system. Double point events will count as one event.

Thanks, see you all Sunday.

Due to some very good advice received tonight from AMF, I have decided to change the pattern being used for Sunday's event.

Refer attached.

I have also received accreditation for this event, and for the rest of the series. 2008 Bowling Balls Australia SA Scratch Series is going FULL STEAM AHEAD!! :groupwave:

Attachments

• Highway to Hell - 40 foot.pdf
    552.5 KB · Views: 18
Hey there Michael

Thanks for the response to the question I posed earlier in this thread regarding the prize fund.

Anyway, I am going to try and make and effort to bowl in the tournament in April, How does the series work regarding registration, etc. For example, I will miss the first event but should be able to bowl in a couple of tournaments through out the year. Should I still pay the $15 registration knowing that I probably won't be in it to win the prize at the end? Can I still bowl in the events you are putting on if I don't pay the registration fee?? and If I need to pay the registration fee does this need to be paid by the first tournament (17th February) even though I am not bowling in the event???

THANKS

DAVID SNIEDZE

Michael will you please stop shifting the ground from under my feet?

Is this the last change or what?

Cheers

Tony

Mike,

I for one think this was a good move. Hitting everyone with a 45 footer first off probably would scare a few off, especially on a relatively low friction surface like Villages.

Might lead to a few less 5-7-10's for me;););)

As I think this is a good idea, and will support it. Getting the numbers will be difficult, having plenty of oil will make people pick and choose with event they bowl probably because they want to enjoy there bowling.

Having lots of oil is really only going to attract a few that want the challenge and are usually the ones that travel.

Will be interesting.

Cheers

Tony

5-7-10?? From Mr. Davy? NO!!:D:D

I promise this will be the last change Tony....

David, the $15 fee is payable by every bowler who wants to bowl the circuit, prior to bowling your first event, whenever that may be. This money pays for the admin costs of running the series, the $100 fee that TBA imposes, and other costs. All surplus funds from that $15 collected from every bowler will be submitted to the prize fund of the last event held in November, so that ALL funds are returned back to the bowlers. A full record of receipts, etc. will be made available to all bowlers of the circuit if need be.

Hope this answers all questions.

Bumpers for the lefties.......cool might give me some extra power to combat that right hand wall thats always out there..................get a life people......

Michael,

Still not sure about your point system..........for instance if we had 15 bowlers turn up (which is possible) and you win you get 15 points? correct or not?

A larger venue say Playford Open you get 50 bowlers and I finish 36th, so how many point do I get for that ? 15 points as well?

Seems a bit penalizing for the person who won the last tournament.
Maybe... or maybe not?

I still think it should be a standard set of points......50 points for a win , 40 for second and 35 for third and then reducing by 1 point from then on.

so then...37th receives 1 point and 38 only get 0.

person who won got 50 points and person who finishes 35 gets 3 points.

it's good your dropping your worst event, that will help some.

The way your doing it is good if you have the same numbers bowling every tournament, but we know thats not going to happen and there are bowlers that are not joining the series that will take valuable points in the bigger tournaments?

Your thoughts 'O' noble one?

Cheers

Tony

That was the hardest thing to decide on.

The way I see it, it's harder to beat 50 bowlers than it is to beat 15, so you should get just reward for your effort. Don't forget, it's your highest 5 point-earning events that will count towards your tally.

Having said that though, in your bigger events, Salisbury Singles and Playford Open, not all the bowlers will be members of the BBA SA Scratch Series, you will only gain points for each person you defeat THAT IS A MEMBER (ie. 80 bowlers may show, but 35 are registered for the series, the highest placed member receives the 35 points). The tournament winner can't just come along after the win and decide they want to participate in the pointscore, they must be a member of the series prior to accumulating the points on the day. That means the $15 membership fee can be paid on the day, but before the event starts.

Even if one bowler wins both Salisbury and Elizabeth and then decides not to bowl any other events (which is unlikely in the first instance), I doubt very much that 80 points (40 points per event, if we get that many members) will be enough to win the end of year prize. However, not bowling these two events (double points) could be to your detriment.

I tend to agree with tony on having a standard set of points personally I think a system similar to that of the formula 1 circuit (1st - 10pts, 2nd - 8pts, 3rd - 6pts, 4th - 5pts, 5th - 4pts, 6th - 3pts, 7th - 2pts, 8th - 1pt, positions 9 and under receive no points) that way bowlers still have points to chase no matter how far out of the stepladder finals they are. Maybe the point differentials can be tweaked a little (a few more points positions, more points etc.) but the structure is a good formula.

Cheers,
Bobba

Points may work out that way in the first event anyway!!

Thank you for your input, both of ya. For the first year, I'm going to leave the pointscore system as it is, I'll review it at the end of the series. I just think the current system will truly reward a bowler for defeating more bowlers.

At the end of the day, it's the bowler who defeats the most bowlers and is more consistent that will win the bowling package. For the tournament wins that don't yield as many points, at least there's the cash (and a little tournament experience) to take away with you.

Even if one bowler wins both Salisbury and Elizabeth and then decides not to bowl any other events (which is unlikely in the first instance), I doubt very much that 80 points (40 points per event, if we get that many members) will be enough to win the end of year prize. However, not bowling these two events (double points) could be to your detriment.

That's funny Michael, I thought I read somewhere the the Playford and Salisbury attract double points? ie.. if I win based on 35 members then I would get 70 points per win?

Now that makes it hard for others to catch me (not that I'm going to win both, although I did 2 years ago) with points from other events.

My thoughts sunshine!

Cheers

Tony

if I win based on 35 members then I would get 70 points per win?

Now that makes it hard for others to catch me (not that I'm going to win both, although I did 2 years ago) with points from other events.
Win based on 35 : 70 points.
2nd based on 35: 68 points. Only two points difference.

Same would result if winner got 10, 2nd got 8, 3rd got 6, etc.

It just means that you need to participate in more events to accumulate more points.

Oh, one more change (because you love changes Tony!) you will need to bowl a minimum 4 events to be eligible for the end of year prize. That's only fair to the sponsor, and to the bowlers who are committed to bowling this series.

NO MORE CHANGES!!

Not sure if you fully understand what I was trying to say. Not to worry.
Win based on 35 : 70 points.
2nd based on 35: 68 points. Only two points difference.

Same would result if winner got 10, 2nd got 8, 3rd got 6, etc.

not sure where your going with that one.

Not a problem with the new rule as far as amount of tournament you have to compete for the grand prize.

cheers

Tony

If you're good enough to win both events, you deserve to win that package, you would be the most consistent bowler on the series.

Having said that, if the same person was to finish 2nd in both events, he/she would only be 4 points behind you. Wouldn't be hard to catch you....you can't rest on that kind of lead!!

Problem scenarios with no standard point system.

Event 1: Pattern dictates that players will be looking at a direct line up the boards type shot. There will be a percentage of the field for which this is their preferred style. Player A polls well in the tournament but there was only 12 entrants they receive 12 points. Player B not his preferred style so finishes last and receives 1 point.

Event 2: Pattern dictates that players will need to play a deep inside type shot. There will be a percentage of the field for which this is their preferred style. Player B polls well in the tournament which is building support and has 20 entrants they receive 20 points. Player A not his preferred style so finishes last and receives 1 point.

Problem: Both Players A + B dominated their preferred style and failed on their non preferred. Both have 1 win and 1 last. Player A - 13 pts, Player B - 21 pts. Not so fair for Player A it wasn't his fault that numbers were low and it doesn't mean he didn't have to work as hard as Player B he may have worked harder only total pins could tell the difference.

Under a standard system like the one I mentioned earlier 10 pts for win nothing for 9th and under. Player A - 10 pts, Player B - 10 pts. Much fairer for both players and now places emphasis on consistency and finishing well to earn valuable points.

Just my take on things. No matter how the series is run I will support it as will the rest of the regulars. I would hate to be Player A under the current points system thats all.

Enough from me see everyone Sunday at Village,
Bobba

Back
Top Bottom