Slow bowling

milkman

Wow, I read the entry in the Tournament entry form section regarding the tournament in Egypt ...

Let me quote a small section of it from the Rules and Regulations:

<snip>

7. Slow Bowling:
Players must be ready to bowl when it is their turn & must not necessarily delay stepping onto the approach in preparation to bowl, if the lane immediately adjacent to them on the left & right side is clear.

A penalty shall be imposed on a bowler who is 4 frames behind the leader (not withstanding delays caused by machine breakdown etc.)

The penalty shall be the forfeit of the score in the next frame.

<end snip>

I dont know about you, but think this is extremely fair. I have no preference towards fast or slow bowlers, but there has been quite a talk about slow bowlers previously, and I think this would make a clear definition as to whether someone is clearly bowling too slow or not.

Does anyone think its an idea to try it at a tournament sometime to see how it works?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by milkman:

7. Slow Bowling:

I dont know about you, but think this is extremely fair. I have no preference towards fast or slow bowlers, but there has been quite a talk about slow bowlers previously, and I think this would make a clear definition as to whether someone is clearly bowling too slow or not.

Does anyone think its an idea to try it at a tournament sometime to see how it works?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GO FOR IT!

How about trying to penalise slow bowling in leagues (add it to the constitution). Although the main culprits are the ones with the higher averages...I wonder why??
icon_razz.gif

can anyone tell me why we must give way to 2 lanes either side in tournaments in australia?
also, is it a written or unwritten rule?
and what is the penalty besides filthy looks?

just wondering
icon_rolleyes.gif
icon_confused.gif

ok so say if 2 guys are on lanes 1+2 and start with an 8 bagger (8 balls) each, and then 2 guys on 3+4 start with 8 x 9 spares each (16 balls).

does the penalty sytem still apply

what a great way to bring scores down. Bring the rule to the next tournament and I think I will go full speed to make the better bowlers rush
icon_smile.gif

I too,am curious about the giving way to 2 lanes rule....it is not something that happens here in the NT (not that we have the same tournie volume as you guys down south), but we have seen it done down South...why is it so? Can someone please enlighten us?
icon_confused.gif

I suppose giving away 2lanes,plus any other thing which detracts from interferance with concentration,takes place in Bowling because of a division of sports into,roughly 2 categories-----One category,Football,Athletics,Basketball,Swimming etc.,etc.,are primarilly physical in their nature,and noise ,spectator cheering etc.,may even work to spur the competitor on to greater effort.------The other category,represented by,say,Golf,Bowling,Target shooting,Darts,Billiards,etc.,etc.,have an emphasis on concentration and accuracy and a lesser emphasis on the physical,ranging from minimum physical effort [Darts,Billiards]to reasonable physical effort [Golf,Bowling] with Tennis having a foot in both camps [high physical effort but an emphasis on spectator silence and lack of movement during play to aid concentration]
On the original subject of slow play,don't let us get too excited about that.In all the 'concentration and accuracy' sports,competitors are given lattitude on how fast or slow they play,in order that each may make the most of the level of skill they have.
someone remarked earlier,that most of the slow play in league,is by the higher average bowlers.
Could it be that there is a message in that???
icon_wink.gif

An interesting point but to be 4 frames behind in 1 game from an equal start would require more than slow play. Most times tourny bolwers aren't 4 frames apart over a block so I think it would need to be tightened.

Don't we already have rules about time taken between shots and from a bowler leaving the approach until the next getting up etc. Not really sure I just thought there was something in the rules.

I try to give way to 2 lanes in a tournament but I don't like it. I'm not bothered at all if someone 2 lanes down gets up while I'm bowling. What bugs me is when you accidentally get up to bowl and the person 2 lanes down gets cranky and throws their gear down to make a point. It should either be a rule to give way to either 1 or 2 lanes and if you choose to give way more, put up with people getting up when your bowling.

Giving Two lanes right of way is not in the rule book.I went and had a look a few months back and all I could find is "one lane to the right"right of way,also that the next bowler in a pairing should be ready to bowl once the first bowler has left the approach.
To the best of my knowledge CB there is no time limit rule ,except the one on the pro tour which is thiry seconds from the time you pick up your ball and push away(I think that is how it goes anyway).Maybe Wayne Chester could shed some light on that rule for us all?
To Jim Meaning no disrespect but i thought the pins that everyone is trying to knock down are in front of everyone not beside them.Sorry if I sound a bit shirty but this two lane right of way is just a loud of rot,and one of the main reasons tournaments take for ever these days.Half of the field is trying to bowl and the other half is trying to give way two lanes.
Also to all the people (as mentioned by westie)who get shirty when someone TWO LANESaway gets up to bowl,all i can say is grow up.
Till next time
Tryhard

Are you seriously asking "me" about a slow bowling rule? hahaha..that's funny..

Here is how it works on the PBA Tour.
We don't have a "two lane courtesy." Instead, the Tour uses a double jump rule which goes like this. A bowler may bowl only if someone has just bowled on the pair to his left AND the pair to his right. At no time should someone be bowling whilst a bowler is up on either adjacent pair. Yes, this means sometimes there will be three consecutive lanes unused. But it also will speed up the pace of play as you will always know whose turn it is to bowl. No more "should I go, or should I give way" decisions made at the back of the approach.
This system isn't foolproof. At times a bowler just isn't ready to bowl and will give way to someone on the next pair. However,it will soon return to the normal pace.

Slow bowling does indeed happen on tour and you "will" get warned or fined if you have been singled out as the main reason for the slow bowling pace. But this has as much to do with taking reracks (limited to two or three per game) as it does actual "slow bowling."

Since I'm on the subject of re-racking...why am I practically the only bowler in Australia who pushes the button when seeing an set-up that's off? Is everyone else in "that" much of a hurry that they're willing to sacrifice pins in order to finish quickly?

And finally, to CB....I'll see what I can do about answering your very highly thought out posts on what makes someone a champion.

Hey,,All,
I was'nt argueing any opinion on what should be done about the 2 lane thing.I personally could'nt care less,so long as I know what is being done in any particular event. I was saying that it probably had it's birth for the reasons I suggested.

I don't mind going for a re-rack. I just don't know how many you get a game (is it just one) and my eyesight isn't that good so the rack has to be quite bad for me to notice it.

Forgive me for sounding blonde (and no offense intended to all the blondes out there), but this 2 lane rule - is this practised in ALL southern tournies, or just select ones? The reason I ask, is that it is not practised up here in Darwin and Alice, and as we are soon to become Qld residents and participants in the range of comps down there, we don't want to be standing on people's toes or copping ****ty looks for bowling the way we always have.......

Bronni & Jag
icon_rolleyes.gif

Hey,

i also think that the 2 lane rule is stupid, i was in one of my first adults tournies a few months back and didnt know of this rule and i copped a few filthy looks from people and at the time i didnt know y. as long as someone doesnt walk up directly beside me i dont really care about 2 lanes away.

Later Da Cowman

hey Mark...

not central Brisbane, probably Burpengary/Caboolture way, depending on where we find a suitable dwelling!!!
See you round?

Bronni & Jagga
icon_smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom