Reverse block lane condition ...

Fitzy

Underpaid
... what is[are] your strategy[strategies] on playing on this condition??

I find it to be the most difficult to 'get on top of'!

Have bowled recently where the reverse block was not placed down on purpose but due to circumstances it is how it played. I have no problem with the condition, quite frankly, I just don't know how to play it!

I found my 'A' shot was a nigh impossible. If I threw it hard enough to get through the dry, the ball would hit the outside oil and not make it back to the pocket hard enough to carry (if it made it back at all). If I did not get through the dry, a brookie was a lucky outcome (hitting the 2-4 was most common :().

What are the strategies? light ball hard and fast through the dry? Heavy ball down the edge? Any other options??

Cheers,

Many different ways to attack it. If you have a high enough rev rate and can generate the angle, try moving (for r/h) as far left as you can and use the reverse block on the left side of the lane as your hold area to the left of your target. This may involve lofting the gutter at times. Seems a bit out there, but those who can manage it have a huge advantage on reverse blocks.

Other option is to use a low fricition ball and play all dry lane, ie plastic or polished urethane. If they hook too much then you are pretty much screwed no matter what you try. Trying to get the ball to recover from the oil to the right (r/h) is extremely problematic as you need to not only get your line perfect but as the angle and speed at which is comes off the oil. Having oil to the right and dry to the left is never a good outcome for a right hander! *States the obvious*

Fitzy,

ONe thing that will help you on this type of condition is to use a low flaring layout ball. Something like a 1" -1 1/2" pin to PAP which effectively takes the core out of the equation and smooths out the backend reaction. I prefer this layout to 5 1/2" + to PAP as it is less likely to create over/underdue to excessive skid. IN other words you need an even arcing, gentle backend reaction. This layout will also let you use a more aggressive coverstock than the more popular (read stronger) layouts and will allow you to keep the ball tighter and more in play without having to swing the ball out towards the OB.

Thanks for the feedback!

Some food for thought for the next time I see similar conditions.

Cheers.

Fitzy,

ONe thing that will help you on this type of condition is to use a low flaring layout ball. Something like a 1" -1 1/2" pin to PAP which effectively takes the core out of the equation and smooths out the backend reaction. I prefer this layout to 5 1/2" + to PAP as it is less likely to create over/underdue to excessive skid. IN other words you need an even arcing, gentle backend reaction. This layout will also let you use a more aggressive coverstock than the more popular (read stronger) layouts and will allow you to keep the ball tighter and more in play without having to swing the ball out towards the OB.

How interesting, I would go for the 5½+" layout and keep my hand right up the back of the ball as an option to play the dry track and avoid roll out. Horses for courses, I guess. Low rev vs high rev rate options in a nutshell right there. Like Chris said earlier, lots of options. None of them fabulous usually and that's worth keeping in mind. Scores will always be lower on a reverse block, so often, just finding a way to leave makeable spares over splits can get you out of trouble and into the money!

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom