Rachuig Entries

skippy

Hey guys,
Just wanted to ask for some feedback about the reducing numbers of people trying
out for the Rachuig teams. I know this year some are injured and some are bowling
World Series in the U.S in October...but just trying to see if there are any on going reasons why people dont bowl...like to expensive, a week off is to much time, didnt know when the trials were, didnt know you had to bowl state champs first.
I am just trying to put together a list that maybe we can work on for the future that will
hopefully lift numbers trying out before this great event dies.
Please reply here or inbox message me on facebook if you want to keep your reply more private.
cheers for your help
Trotts

My main reason is I can't get any leave from work for the full week due to Australian Team commitments just before nationals and also the cost is definitely a big factor.
If they were able to find accommodation that is a bit cheaper, then I may consider in the future but at the moment its way too expensive.
I said in an earlier post, I am going with a group of five people and for the four days we are there it is costing us $143 each for accommodation!

For me I would love to do rachuig, but the cost of the week away is just too much for me to burden the family with.

Unfortunately Rachuig has been in a decline for a while due to several reasons due to different conflicts in each state etc.etc. It is also a tournament that has not fully been embraced by Australia's Best Bowlers over the last decade or so as once was during its heyday of 70's,80's and 90's prob due to costs involved and it not moving with the times to attract Australia's Best Bowlers by making it worthwhile to compete.Having Prizemoney,Making it on a weekend instead of during the middle of the week so you are pretty much forced to take a whole week off away from family/work and also leaving less time off work that can be used to compete in National Team duties.

It is supposed to be the Premier Teams Event in the country there is not alot of use having it if the Best are not representing thier own state! How many of the top say 30 bowlers in the country support it? There probably needs to be automatic selection based on some sort of Ranking whether it be Sport Series results,Major results or a combination? Wasting weekends on things like State Champs to win $6.50 if your lucky and Wasting money on trials are all things that could be better spent on Travelling to and from nationals and having realistic Training Sessions that are not always on the same side of town all the time?? You could even give special consideration to Country Cup all Star teams to make it more inviting to Country bowlers That cant afford to travel to Sport Series and Major events?

I have heard over the years top ranked players not selected or given excemptions to thier own state trials its no wonder people dont support it?
Rachuig needs to be more inviting and cheaper otherwise it will Die and will be one of the biggest Tragedies this sport will lose?

Cheers

all comes down to cost simple u represent ur state great but wat does the state do for you as the bowler. everything comes out of the bowlers pocket and even if u win or come second or third what is the reward. the pride of winning for ur state at a cost close to $3000 for a week if not more. with that sort of money it is better to go overseas bowl a international tournament and at least u get to hav a holiday at the same time. I feel for some of the guys in those teams cause they are told they are meant to stay with the team for the whole week and should not hang with other bowlers. not only is ther a holiday but also good exposure to international events and a opportunity to make some money.

all comes down to cost simple u represent ur state great but wat does the state do for you as the bowler. everything comes out of the bowlers pocket and even if u win or come second or third what is the reward. the pride of winning for ur state at a cost close to $3000 for a week if not more. with that sort of money it is better to go overseas bowl a international tournament and at least u get to hav a holiday at the same time. I feel for some of the guys in those teams cause they are told they are meant to stay with the team for the whole week and should not hang with other bowlers. not only is ther a holiday but also good exposure to international events and a opportunity to make some money.

I get what you are saying but I guess it is just the pride of wearing your states colours. Its the same as getting into an Australian team, there no money involved in that (unless you medal at a world championships), we pay anywhere from $2000 - $5000 just to represent our country, but its the dream of wearing the green and gold that makes you pay the big bucks and get no return.

well that's y people aren't bowling pride vs cost pride loses gone are the days wer wen u made a state u use to get free or discounted things. comparing state shirt and country shirt are two completely different things like u said reason for not bowling is cost plus ur national squad commitments. everyones dream is to wear their national colours but how many for state?. the cost for the pride far out weighs it by a landslide if ther were benefits for making the state teams I would garuntee bigger turnouts at trials but till then it will keep on dying things aren't getting any cheaper and the bowlers are not earning more through their full time jobs or part time jobs for a matter of fact.

It would be great if all state committees and bowlers did fund raising all year round, like they used to do in Victoria years ago. Unfortunately it has become harder and harder to even get people who roll off to sell a raffle ticket. Fund raising needs to be done all year round, not just for a few weeks before the tournament.

The overall costs to bowl in a Rachuig team, seems to be the major road block for most bowlers when even considering to bowl in a roll off.

Bloody way to far to travel for qualifying and practices. Been there done that for President Shield when I was a junior. Becomes expensive for the country bowlers especially us up here in Mildura. Probably got 4 or 5 up here that could quite easily be in the team. This year for instance to bowl state champs its like a 2000km round trip. That's a turn off for a start. Also don't think its overly promoted very well.

Trotts,

If you wanted to you could seek out Victorian trials, it's on every year - so l don't believe advertising is an issue. From a country centres point of view, Rachuig is not accessible for people from Mildura without high levels of sponsorship. The SA team is more accessible. As Dean said, I think there's numerous bowlers up here that would trial competitively but what's the point in shelling out $1,000 plus extra than city bowlers just to practice with the team on top of the big cost that's already turning even city bowlers off. Not to mention the high amount of time off just to practice.

Strangely enough, SA team is closer and the option needs to be there for Mildura bowlers IMO. The only other regional centres more than two hours from Melbourne is Warnambool and Wodonga. See what their thoughts are on remoteness and realistic chances of bowling for state. I understand you need to hold trials/practices where the coaches and the majority of the bowlers are, but it's self fulfilling. Only hold practices in the city, you don't get the remote bowlers trialing, don't get the remote bowlers in the team, only hold practices in Melbourne.

You want the best team for Victoria, start trying to include Victorian bowlers and not just Melbourne.

I appreciate the work you put in to the state team and bowling in general and appreciate being asked the question to start off with and I hope this is seen as constructive and not just another whinge from someone too far away and in the minority.

Trotts,

If you wanted to you could seek out Victorian trials, it's on every year - so l don't believe advertising is an issue. From a country centres point of view, Rachuig is not accessible for people from Mildura without high levels of sponsorship. The SA team is more accessible. As Dean said, I think there's numerous bowlers up here that would trial competitively but what's the point in shelling out $1,000 plus extra than city bowlers just to practice with the team on top of the big cost that's already turning even city bowlers off. Not to mention the high amount of time off just to practice.

Strangely enough, SA team is closer and the option needs to be there for Mildura bowlers IMO. The only other regional centres more than two hours from Melbourne is Warnambool and Wodonga. See what their thoughts are on remoteness and realistic chances of bowling for state. I understand you need to hold trials/practices where the coaches and the majority of the bowlers are, but it's self fulfilling. Only hold practices in the city, you don't get the remote bowlers trialing, don't get the remote bowlers in the team, only hold practices in Melbourne.

You want the best team for Victoria, start trying to include Victorian bowlers and not just Melbourne.

I appreciate the work you put in to the state team and bowling in general and appreciate being asked the question to start off with and I hope this is seen as constructive and not just another whinge from someone too far away and in the minority.

Back when I was in the President Shield team we use to hold training days in the country. I remember we did one in Bendigo and also I believe Geelong.
I agree that we need to stop catering for just Melbourne people and remember the country bowlers because lets face it they are majority of our bowlers in Victoria, most of the entries from States are from Country bowlers.

It's hard to cater for everybody... With practices held mainly in Melbourne and some country areas it still isn't viable for guys from Mildura, Morwell, Wodonga, Sheppharton, Warrnambool and Horsham to try out. That isn't saying that they won't but are merely less likely... When trials and practices for remote country centres are at least 2.5-3 hrs away I could see it becoming tiresome... Unfortunately there is no quick fix and it would be good to see trials for Presidents shield and Rachuig rotate between city and country centres...

Hi Denece,

I have asked Louise about being able to roll off for Rachuig and was told that I could not. Something about not bowling State titles? I have only just received the Vic State Team roll off info from you stating that I needed to bowl state titles, unfortunately State titles were on months ago so I cannot go back and bowl them. The eligibility criteria has only just been released, how can you tell me to bowl in something that was on a few months ago? “Common Knowledge” is not a suffice excuse considering that the criteria changes at any time with little or no notice to the bowlers, I say this because I speak with State Reps regularly and often their answer is “who knows?” when I ask about Rachuig. I would like to try out for the Vic State Team, can you please let me know if this is possible?

Regards, Paul Robinson.

Hi Paul

Sorry, I have to second Louise’s reply – you are not able to try out for the Vic state team.

Firstly, I don’t appreciate your sarcasm, both in this email and also on Total Bowling.

Secondly, it is not as if you haven’t trialled for Rachuig before and if you feel that our criteria changes at any time with little or no notice, then maybe you should have asked the question regarding state championships before they were conducted, as this has been the case for the last umpteen years, and was certainly the case last time you tried out.

I would also like to point out that the State Championships entry has on it that it is compulsory to complete an All Events if you wish to try out for any State Team, and considering you received the State Team Roll off entry from me, I would imagine you would also have received the State Champs entry form.

Regards

Denece.

Reply.

With the current state of bowling I would've thought that you'd be knocking on people's doors asking them to bowl, not putting barriers in place to impede them. I think you misunderstand me, I was serious, not sarcastic. It's a shame you all stick to the same formula that's not working, Vic results last year at Rachuig made me embarrassed to be Victorian, I pitiful effort. Anyway, I'll go to Mildura no doubt with other former state reps that are disillusioned by the whole "organisation" at both state and national level. I'm not the only one that thinks this way, I'm just the only one that will speak instead of cowering in the corner which of course makes me unlikable to many that hold themselves above the bowlers best interests. There should be no rules to hinder scratch bowlers from rolling off for their state. A few years ago State titles were after the first roll off, not before. This made more sense.

This is why I can't roll off for Rachuig.

Paul,

It is common knowledge that if you want to roll off for Rachuig/ Presidents shield that you need to complete an All events in the state championships... That pre-requisite I think hasn't changed...

Paul,

It is common knowledge that if you want to roll off for Rachuig/ Presidents shield that you need to complete an All events in the state championships... That pre-requisite I think hasn't changed...

This is the problem, "Common Knowledge" is no form of defence. The Rachuig paper work comes out months after State titles, I didn't read the State title paperwork as I have no interest in bowling them. Stand up in a court of Law and claim "Common Knowledge" as a defence, you'd be laughed out the door.

This is the problem, "Common Knowledge" is no form of defence. The Rachuig paper work comes out months after State titles, I didn't read the State title paperwork as I have no interest in bowling them. Stand up in a court of Law and claim "Common Knowledge" as a defence, you'd be laughed out the door.
I tend to agree with Denece that you have bowled Rachuig before so you know you have to do state champs to be eligible. But I agree with you that Rachuig forms should be out before state champs because if you are someone who has never done Rachuig before then you don't know that you need to States.

Neither is ignorance... But there are things that can be done to improve communications between bowlers and victenpins...

Victenpins didn't even know when or Where trials were going to be held at one stage. One of the reasons I no longer bowl is there is no incentive to travel 1300kms and spend over $1000 each time for no return. If victenpins were serious about getting the best team wouldn't they be getting in contact with the best bowlers we have and hold trials. No offense to morwell but surely having the state champs there rules Out most bowlers west of Melbourne/Victoria.

Back
Top Bottom